How to handle the heat?

I made a ton of neck coolers years ago when we were going in the summer. They also really help. I would soak them in ice water overnight and then throw them in a ziplock back in our backpack. As soon as I started to feel warm, out they came. I purchased disney fabric at JoAnn's and they were very cute.

I made some for myself that I wore tied up on the top of my head like a bandana. I just made them a little longer and the tails on the end didn't have any cooling beads in them.

If they stop being cool, you can rehydrate them in some ice water and move on.

On our trip last April I started not feeling well and I think I was dehydrated even though I'd been drinking water. I found a shady spot and sat down and drank two bottles of water in a row. I was almost thinking I would pass out. After a few minutes we walked and sat inside and had lunch. I was pretty much okay after that.

Ever since I've been nervous that it will happen again. Last trip I brought vitamin water zero and drank one or two per day along with water and only had one almost incident but I just sat down in the shade and drank a bottle of water.

Any advice for me? We're going for a few nights over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks and sorry so long!!

Best way to avoid dehydration is to buy a camelbak (https://international.camelbak.com). I fill it with ice from the ice machine inside the resort hotel at night before bed and put it in the fridge in the resort. When I wake up, I put some water from the faucet in there and it will begin to melt. Additionally, when you wear it, your body temperature will melt it as well (also on the flip side, the coolness of the ice water keeps your body temperature lower). It stays cool until you finish the water, because it is insulated. I usually finish from park open until around 1 or so, then go back to the hotel for a break and refill. The other benefit is that it saves you from having to purchase water bottles in the resort or in the parks all day. It is a definite $70 or so benefit.

Camelbaks are good, if you don't mind "carrying" it. Wal-Mart sells them for about $15 or $20. I use them in my race car...very, very helpful.

I live in the Bahamas and our weather is pretty similar to Florida's (I think we have a little more humidity though) so I am pretty used to it. I will echo everyone's responses and suggest plenty of water. This August will be my first time in over two decades of going to WDW during the warmer months, so I am already keeping in mind to take it easy and have plenty of water.

My friends tease me about it, but drinking lots of water is key, and you will need more than you typically need at home. (if you aren't peeing at regular intervals, you aren't drinking enough). The routine that works for me is to try to drink 32 ounces of water in the morning by the time I hit the front gate of the park (which usually means a rest room break at the first rest room inside the park, and second rest room break a little later--Just make sure you take a restroom break before getting in a long line if you drink a lot of water in the morning). I bring a bottle of water with me, and sip it regularly, even if I don't feel thirsty.

When I'm having a meal, I always get an ice water in addition to the soda that I always get with my meal, and my rule is to drink it before I touch the soda.

If I feel like the water isn't satisfying my thirst, I get a powerade from a cart, and drink that down.

In the summer months, a lot of times I'll book a lunch reservation so that I have a nice hour long break in air conditioning at midday. I'll also try to take breaks in air conditioned places--sit in a counter service, or browse around in the shops, or take a break in a ride like the Carousel of Progress.

Also, don't stop drinking water at the end of the day when you are back in the room. Drink a glass of water before bed, and keep a bottle of water by the bed to sip in the middle of the night if you wake up.

So I guess the moral of my post is drink early and often :)
Seriously? Who would tease someone about something like that....sorry, couldn't resist. But, you're right. I drink water and seltzer pretty much all the time. I try not to drink soda. I find it tends to dehydrate me! Lot's of water, some salty snacks during the day. I don't drink sports drinks...have never had the need. Water and salty snacks do it for me. Now, if I was running a marathon, then maybe. I also try to take it slow....and head for the shops whenever possible! Sometimes, that little 2 min coolness is huge!!!!
And yes, I should wear a hat. But, I do tend to wear shortsleeves vs sleeveless. Feels better.

Avoid ice cold water when you're at that 'omg i'm not feeling well' spot- room temp (or slightly colder) is best for rehydrating - the coldness doesnt play well with your stomach. Some bottled waters actually contain electrolytes (SmartWater).

Another vote for small UV umbrella's. They really do help with providing you with some shade as you go.

I love the small personal fans and a nice cool washcloth.

I absolutely love the predictability of Floridian summers, we haven't been outside of July/August for over 10 years now, but boy did it take my body a while to acclimatize! On our first summer trip in '05 I was horrifically sick every single night and barely ate. I'm not really sure if it's the heat or the traveling that doesn't agree with me because even now I will invariably find myself being ill for one night of the holiday (which are 2-3 weeks so no biggie!) it even hit me in Italy last June.

I always wear a hat and if I can I try to avoid prolonged exposure to the direct sun, so no sunbathing for me. I don't tan anyways! I always have a supply of water on hand; I hate to admit that I'm awful at hydrating but having a bottle in my hand will keep me habitually swigging. As I'm not a huge water fan I grab the little handy travel sized squeezy bottles of flavour that we Brits would call squash but I don't know what Americans term them and what I've found at Wal-Mart ain't no Robinsons! We're never usually out for a full day either and we've quite often left the parks by midday to retreat into air conditioned bliss, only to re-emerge for dinner! Oh and I'm a sucker for sun cream. I'm probably more pale at the end of my holiday than at the beginning.

Also this could just be me but I'm 100% convinced, though I have no scientific evidence, that going from the blistering heat of the great outdoors to the arctic air conditioned indoors is NOT good for me. Why is there no happy medium?

Three tips for hot weather...
1) Drink water constantly
2) Don't be in a rush.
3) Take AC breaks in attractions and/or gift shops and restaurants

The last two trips I've made were during heat (unusually hot October and warm April). Both times I got the dreaded Disney rash on my legs. So for our upcoming trip, I'm going to try to wear tall socks to avoid the rash. I'm hoping this advice doesn't just make me hotter still. If I'm going to look goofy :crazy: I'd like to come away without the rash, and without overheating.

That doesn't work when the parks are only open until 10pm in the summer, as they are on my upcoming July vacation.

Ugh - looking at June so far (almost gone now) and even the hours for the upcoming July 4th, the hours are reduced significantly and staying that way! Its not unusual for WDW to add hours, but wow, according to easywdw, operating hours were reduced by about 75 for the month. That does take away a ton of those awesome, out of the sun park hours. Disappointing.

Myers cocktail is more than hydration.

Right...it's also dehydration of your wallet.

Sorry, but from the original description you gave, that's just a very expensive bottle of Gatorade and a Centrum vitamin. Sorta like buying a $10 bottle of "designer" tap water....but in the Myers cocktail you get to stick a needle in your arm for your money.

Ugh...I was never so glad to get back to 70 and breezy than after this week at WDW. I genuinely don't know people live in those hot climates! And I would have to be bald...the heat/humidity destroyed my hair within two hours every day!

My daughter and I fill our refillable mugs with ice and Gatorade at the resort right before we head out. We step inside the shops along our way, we only ate inside, we tried anything that was indoors either a show or ride, we drank water all the time. I also plan out our path as much as possible so we are not zigzagging around the park with our dinner plans and fast passes. We wear loose natural fiber clothing. Her hair is up, mine is short. I do wear crew socks and tennis shoes, but change socks at least once during the day and air out my feet. I have never had the rash folks talk about. The shops help us to cool down as we make our way around the park and a must for me if I even feel a bit overheated. A table service dinner is also a great way to rest and cool down. We have done a few trips at the end of August because they were such good deals, but are not wanting to do that anymore, because we just have had it with the intense heat during that time of year.

For a salt kick to help replenish what you are sweating out, I carry in a few Propel Powder Packs in my purse and add them to a quick service ice water. This way you don't have to worry about lugging around a bottle of Gatorade or any other electrolyte drink.

Ugh...I was never so glad to get back to 70 and breezy than after this week at WDW. I genuinely don't know people live in those hot climates! And I would have to be bald...the heat/humidity destroyed my hair within two hours every day!

We feel the same way about all you people that have months of snow, ice and cold!! LOL
I love the heat, just don't stay out in it all the time by no means - take full advantage of AC!!
Could never survive in the cold climates!

We feel the same way about all you people that have months of snow, ice and cold!! LOL
I love the heat, just don't stay out in it all the time by no means - take full advantage of AC!!
Could never survive in the cold climates!
I will take 10 over 100 any day. I can always put on more layers. And I love snuggling under a blanket with a cup of coffee. I can't get any more undressed and I despise fans blowing on me. I was clearly meant to be a northener. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter