How to tip a butler you have never met (Las Vegas)

I posted this question on a different site but after getting a couple of snarky responses I figure I would come to the much friendlier Disboards.

To be clear, I’m not opposed to tipping in general. I just have no idea what would be appropriate under this circumstance.
————
This is a bit of an odd question, but we are currently staying at the Skylofts. Everyone we see out in public has been very friendly, but besides bringing us to our room we have never seen our butler. No one has checked in on us at all, and the requests that I put in when I made the reservation and then filled out the online survey prior to arriving weren't honored (rollaway bed and extra blankets). We called down to the concierge to send up blankets and my son slept on the couch so he didn't have to share with his sister. I did walk over to the concierge to ask for restaurant and activity recommendations and they suggested Nobu (which I told them we have eaten at multiple times) and Bubba Gump Shrimp and to "walk around the hotel." After that I stopped asking questions.

So in a situation like this how am I supposed to tip? I know 5% per night for the butler plus extra for the concierge is standard but for what? I don't mind paying (a lot) for service and have been tipping 20-50% on activities this whole trip, but service here has been nonexistent. Even the cleaning people made the beds but nothing else was really touched - so much so that I couldn't even tell that they had been here until I went upstairs. I contrast that with what happened in Enchantment in Sedona, where housekeeping stepped into the disaster/mess that my kids made (we forgot to put the do not disturb sign on the door) and made the casita shine. We tipped VERY well and left a thank you note in that circumstance.

That’s my first thought, but at the same time I know service people rely on tips for their income and it isn’t their fault that we aren’t the kind of family that would want someone to draw them a bath (one of the actual services offered). Ugh. Disney is so much easier!

That’s my first thought, but at the same time I know service people rely on tips for their income and it isn’t their fault that we aren’t the kind of family that would want someone to draw them a bath (one of the actual services offered). Ugh. Disney is so much easier!
But they haven't provided the things you did ask for. I wouldn't tip and I wouldn't feel bad about it either.

Thank you! I may leave something small but I think 5% is excessive for what they (haven’t) provided.
0 tip is appropriate, not 5% in the case you're describing. Your son had to sleep on the couch instead of a bed! That’s completely unacceptable! They didn’t do the bare minimum and tipping them shouldn’t even be a thought in your head.

Thank you! I may leave something small but I think 5% is excessive for what they (haven’t) provided.

Why? The butler has done literally nothing for you. The butler is paid to do a job and the tip is meant to augment that, but if no job was done, the tip is ZERO. This would be like tipping a bellman and then handling all your own bags. Take your feelings out of it. Zero tip is appropriate.

I ended up tipping $100 plus bellmen, valet, etc. It was less than what I “should” have done based on the cost of the room but they did end up arranging a special breakfast for me and my son this morning at my request, and brought us waters on our way out. At the end of the day I didn’t want to leave on a sour note.

On to Disneyland where everything will be magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter