How will DVC handle the 50th?

Peter_noPan

DVC member
I know it's still over four years away. But...how do you think DVC will handle reservations to be at a DVC resort on Oct. 1, 2021?

I have heard of other time shares doing some kind of lottery for certain events (Olympics). Does anybody think it will be something special or just the regular reservation process and the phones lines and web site explodes as soon as you can make the reservations?

Our family was at DL for their 50th and plan on being at WDW for their's.

Agree with the humorous way @HatboxGhoul put it. I doubt there will be any special effort made by DVC for this event.

I just realized that is on a Friday, October 1, 2021. There will be even more people trying for the long weekend. We hope to be there.

I agree with the online booking system, I doubt that DVC will change the number of employees making reservations or increase the phone lines. That is a little scary.

Doubt it will be any worse than early December or other popular F&W times. Same "suspects" will be a challenge - near park resorts & popular booking categories such as concierge, standard, value, etc

DVC does have a "special seasons" procedure to use if it so chooses. However, IIRC, it has not been used since 1999 and IMO, it would be a costly administrative nightmare to resurrect it now that there are so many more DVC resorts.

Doubt it will be any worse than early December or other popular F&W times. Same "suspects" will be a challenge - near park resorts & popular booking categories such as concierge, standard, value, etc

DVC does have a "special seasons" procedure to use if it so chooses. However, IIRC, it has not been used since 1999 and IMO, it would be a costly administrative nightmare to resurrect it now that there are so many more DVC resorts.
They have both the option of a special season preference list AND a lottery but I too doubt they'll use them. The real question is going to be how they use RTU endings, I don't see them just letting the be a free for all.

the 50th will be a special day so why not raise prices. People will still come.

I was thinking exactly that. Perfect opportunity. And whatever promo is in effect will quietly expire a couple of weeks beforehand with nothing announced to replace it.

I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for Disneyland's 50th. There was some special 3-night package deal for the weekend since it was on a Sunday. I think they began booking it one year in advance. I do not know if Grand Californian was a DVC then. I wasn't a DVC member then but I am now and want to be at Walt Disney World's 50th celebration that Friday/weekend.

How are big anniversaries celebrated? I didn't follow too closely to Disneyland's recent 60th anniversary, but it seemed to last a long time. Months?? Do events, special merchandise, etc start earlier than the anniversary date and lead up to it? Or does it start on the anniversary date and last a few months? What typically happens? Special shows/events/parades?? I don't necessarily want to be there for the weekend of the anniversary if there are special events going on a few weeks after that. =D

There really isn't any set thing about how big anniversaries are celebrated. Some or all of what you suggest can happen.

There really isn't any set thing about how big anniversaries are celebrated. Some or all of what you suggest can happen.

Do you know how far in advance those plans are announced? Can we expect to start hearing about it the year before?

I can't imagine that they would do anything differently. If they change the way the reservations are done for this event only, they'll get phone call after phone call from members trying to figure out what they need to do to make the reservations. That said, EXCITED FOR THE 50TH!!!

The current blue membership cards expire in 2021. Time for another "very positive step" letter from Señor Potrock announcing new resale restrictions.

Will the parks and resorts be doing special things just for that day/weekend? I was figuring whatever they were planning would take place for several weeks to celebrate. Wasn't thinking it would be a big deal. What did DL do to celebrate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter