How will you be watching Disney+?

Probably a dumb question, very untech minded. Do I need to buy something to watch D+, currently we just have Netflix and we just watch it on our smart tv. No devices. Will D+ not work that way? In Australia, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
What brand is your smart tv and how old? It won’t be compatible with all devices but they did just sign a deal with Samsung and LG.

What brand is your smart tv and how old? It won’t be compatible with all devices but they did just sign a deal with Samsung and LG.
It's a Sony and pretty old, maybe 5yrs? So I do need to buy something then. Thank you!
Edited to add- I am looking to buy a new TV though for a diff room. Will try and get a Samsung or LG. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Newer samsungs will get it, not the older ones.
It's a Sony and pretty old, maybe 5yrs? So I do need to buy something then. Thank you!
Edited to add- I am looking to buy a new TV though for a diff room. Will try and get a Samsung or LG. Thanks for your reply.
I would look for anything that has Roku built in. We now have three Roku TV's and two Roku Sticks in our house after resisting for a long time with Chromecasts.

I just found out Apple TV 3rd Gen doesn’t work for Disney+ so just bought 2 4th Gen on eBay for $170. Sounds like those sticks and other options would have been less money but oh well, already clicked

My iPhone, ipad and computer for now. :rotfl2: Our tv is so old, I don't even think it has a place to put a Fire stick or Roku, though I should check today. :scratchin Our flatscreen is 12 years old and we've been talking about getting a new tv, so maybe for Christmas this year. :)

Best Buy will have the following prices for Black Friday:

Fire TV Stick $19.99
Fire TV Stick 4K $24.99
Roku Stick 4K $29.99
Roku Ultra 4K $49.99
Can someone explain the differences between these four items, please? Is it the amount of storage on each one? Picture quality? Amount of offerings? I'm clueless when it comes to this type of tech. Thanks!

Can someone explain the differences between these four items, please? Is it the amount of storage on each one? Picture quality? Amount of offerings? I'm clueless when it comes to this type of tech. Thanks!
I would guess the difference between the Firesticks is just the resolution.

The Roku Ultra has the ability to be plugged into Ethernet, the Roku Stick is Wireless only.

As the poster noted above the difference in the firesticks is the picture quality. Disney+ includes 4K at no upcharge so if you are planning to buy a 4K TV I would go with a 4K streaming device.

Let's see, with 5 family members I believe we have the following:

1) Dad- two LG smart TVs and an iPad
2) Mom - same TVs as dad but also an Amazon Fire tablet
3) 21 year old son #1 - Xbox One and laptop
4) 18 year old son #2 - Laptop
5) 12 year old daughter - same TVs as mom and dad plus an iPad

Of course when the son's are home from school they're welcome to use the tv's as well, as long as it doesn't conflict with mom and dad.

Do any of the fire sticks or roku's come with storage? We have downloaded a few movies to our tablet...ones my kids will watch multiple times so we can save data. Wondering if that's possible with streaming devices.

I just wanted to put a quick note out about watching Disney+ streaming using the Fire stick 4k: You can put the app on just fine, however... if you're using a VPN Disney+ may not work. I kept getting the message "Error 73- Disney+ is not available in all areas" when launching the app and I tried to get chat help on their site. The wait time was over 30 minutes so I searched the error message myself on the site and found that if you are using a VPN the app may not work with it. I turned off my VPN and it worked just fine.

Do any of the fire sticks or roku's come with storage? We have downloaded a few movies to our tablet...ones my kids will watch multiple times so we can save data. Wondering if that's possible with streaming devices.
No. You’d need a DVR type device. Even then I’m not sure you’d be able to download streaming content to it. I can’t with the apps I have on my TiVo. Only to phone/tablet.

I have been trying to find a way to see it in Samsung. Not able yet. I am sure they will eventually do this.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter