How worried should I be about UsAir going out of business?

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
First time flying to WDW with family. I currently have bulk air reserved through WDTC with USAir. I'm trying to find a better price, but am having a difficult time. We are flying to MCO the Thursday or Friday before Thanksgiving to the Friday after. How worried should I be about USAir going out of business until then?

I dont really understand your post - sorry.

Are US Airways going out of business? I have a flight booked with them in December so I really need to know this too.

Thanks

Emma

I haven't heard anything about USAirways going out of business, and they have a large presence here in Richmond. Of course, I've been busy studying so I might have missed something.

I did find this on MSNBC. USAirways isn't in the strongest financial position but the article doesn't say anything about them going under.

Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear...that's what I get for posting too late at night! This is the article Obi-Won was speaking of:

US Airways expects significant loss

ARLINGTON, Va., March 28 — US Airways Group Inc. , the No. 6 U.S. airline, said Thursday it expects to post a significant first-quarter loss as it continued to burn through about $3 million in cash daily.

I have read several posts on this board and others stating since USAir is losing so much money, they might not be around by the end of the year? I wonder what happens if you have a ticket with them and they go under?

USAirways is the biggest carrier here in Pittsburgh & our biggest employer (we're a main hub) and if they would go under totally it would be big news and I haven't heard anything indicating that. It was on the news last week that they may ask the government for help. If anything, I would expect another airline to come in and take over their flights, similiar to the way American took over TWA.

dtuleya, im in the same boat as you as I have tickets already booked with them for December. If you hear anything please PM me as I will you.

Thanks

Emma

Some of the posts you read on these boards are wishful thinking. A while back there were some simular threads on ATA going out of business and they still seem to be around.

I have a feeling that USAir would get picked up by another airline before they would go under so your ticket would just be transferred to XYZ airline. Also, USAir has been in bad shape for YEARS and they keep surviving so why should this be different.

Thanks, CarolA and DebbieB, you make me feel alot better. Wasn't sure what would happen if they went under?

The only major carrier not currently hemmoraghing is SouthWest. I wouldn't worry about US. There is an even larger carrier that I think is in much deeper trouble...

It's not jsut the "losses" you need to look at. It's also who has contract negotiations coming up.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter