How would you change Castaway Club Levels

I disagree. While the actual stateroom price-per-night may be higher on those cruises, the revenue the cruises generate increase dramatically the longer they are. Remember, the stateroom is only part of what you pay for a vacation - excursions, spa, drinks, merchandise etc are among the highest profit margins for the cruise.
Not sure I 100% agree. Do you think the gift shop is going to sell more merchandise on a 7 night fantasy cruise to a family in one room or are they going to sell more to the two families that will be in that same room on the dream............one family on the 3 night and one family for the 4 night?

I dont know about others but I would bet my cost per day (not counting excursions) on a short cruise would be higher than a longer cruise as I am trying to pack in all the same things into a shorter time.

Not sure I 100% agree. Do you think the gift shop is going to sell more merchandise on a 7 night fantasy cruise to a family in one room or are they going to sell more to the two families that will be in that same room on the dream............one family on the 3 night and one family for the 4 night?

I dont know about others but I would bet my cost per day (not counting excursions) on a short cruise would be higher than a longer cruise as I am trying to pack in all the same things into a shorter time.

Agreed--I think how much you spend while on the ship is more to do with your personal likes and dislikes than length of cruise. We've had threads here along the lines of "how much is your stateroom bill" and for some people it was pretty much nothing but tips--they don't drink or carry on their own booze (and refill at ports), stay on the ship at ports (or do excursions they book directly with a vendor rather than DCL), and just hang out at the pool and do activities. For us, I'd say we are bigger spenders, but based on what we have booked for our upcoming cruise, we'll be spending more on a 3-night than we spent on a 7-night!

I think but should be based on nights and not cruises. I also agree with others that the welcome gift should be changed at least weekly.

More sea days/time means the shops will have greater opportunity to sell to each guest. Also if I forgot something I might live without that specific item for 2-3 days but on a longer cruise I might buy a replacement.

Some guest may not even stop in on the shorter cruises. By the time you board, eat at Cabanas, get to the stateroom and muster drill, then the sail away, don’t forget dinner and the first day is pretty much done without even stopping in one of the shops. Factor in time in Nassau and Castaway Cay with the shops closed, then dinner/show and there is almost no time in a three day cruise to shop. So it is probably pretty equal but based on sea days alone the 7 day gets the slight advantage.

More sea days/time means the shops will have greater opportunity to sell to each guest. Also if I forgot something I might live without that specific item for 2-3 days but on a longer cruise I might buy a replacement.

Some guest may not even stop in on the shorter cruises. By the time you board, eat at Cabanas, get to the stateroom and muster drill, then the sail away, don’t forget dinner and the first day is pretty much done without even stopping in one of the shops. Factor in time in Nassau and Castaway Cay with the shops closed, then dinner/show and there is almost no time in a three day cruise to shop. So it is probably pretty equal but based on sea days alone the 7 day gets the slight advantage.
True, but Castaway Cay doesn't really count as "shops closed" from Disney's perspective because the shops on the island are open. Also, merchandise is probably not the biggest revenue source. Whether on a 3 night or a 7 night, we'll do the spa once, palo once, princess tea once etc. The difference is on the three nights, everything repeats so a new set of guests will be booking those activities on the 4 night following our 3 night. Plus the 3/4 night combo means that they are booking cabanas twice instead of once on a 7 night.

So it is probably pretty equal but based on sea days alone the 7 day gets the slight advantage.

Prolly buy more drinks and stuff but not going to but twice the amount of shirts, coffee mugs, etc. just because I'm on 7 nights over 4 nights.

Just look around at other cruise lines. Drink packages, reserved seating for shows, free laundry, free internet, dining experiences. Disney just lacks so hard when it comes to repeat cruiser benefits. I'd like my OBB credit back please for a start.
I agree. At least let us choose from a variety of perks but it should be things that are usuable, and really worth something, not a cup of Mickey shaped goldfish crackers in a bag. I like the OBC and even more like when those were dependent on what level you were at.
Free/discounted laundry and/or free internet packages or heavily discounted would be most appreciated in our house.
Dh and I do love the free Palo.

Many of us here have taken a Disney Cruise and have fallen in love with another part of the Disney Brand. In fact these recent cancellations were not my first with Disney as I was scheduled to sail in 1998 and due to the Magic not being ready got bumped to 1999, yet the minute I stepped onto the Magic and heard our name called out as we boarded I was hooked. Now over 20 years later and after being on all 4 ships, I am a Gold Castaway Club member patiently watching for the Wish to be on the list of ships and sailings. However, I am also looking to finish up the last few sailings to get me to Platinum and my wife to Gold and I wonder (slight pun intended) to what might happen as I see retirement and many more sailings in our future. Will there be more levels of the Castaway club? This question has been asked in many forums and by a lot more people than myself, but I see a lot of people looking at other cruise lines and how they work their loyalty program. Disney has rarely done what others have done, that is what makes them so special, so I do not see them mimicking what other cruise lines have done. I do see an eventual expansion as many of us hit platinum and go way beyond.

The most logical and possibility I see happening would be to add another level beyond Platinum. What to call it? Personally I would call it Pixidust, but I am just a firefighter and not an Imagineer. I am a Disney fan born and raised. But I am just going by speculation and what I have seen Disney do in my almost 50 years of enjoying all of Mickey's playgrounds. I digress, with this new level where do you draw the line and what benefits are associated with this new tier. To start, if it was me a different welcome aboard gift, set it above the other gifts especially since as one is walking in the state room they are most likely carrying one of their previously received bags. Then possibly a savings on shore excursions, since there is already a discount on shipboard merchandise. Then there is the earlier booking advantage like Gold Silver and Platinum have, allowing 4 days ahead of everyone else would be a nice reward for brand loyalty. Could other perks be added yes, but in what direction would Disney go as they already give a Platinum member a Palo Dinner? An easier debated question would be at how many cruises does the new level kick in? I dont see Disney just going every 5 cruises and at 15 trips giving new perks. I could see Disney bumping it to 20 possibly 25 based on the perks that are added.

One thing is sure as the popularity of taking a Disney cruise rises and the more ships in the fleet adds more passengers that hit that Platinum level that the Platinum desk at Port Canaveral is going to get busier.

Tony

One of my favorite topics.
Disney loyalty program is terrible. Quite possibly the worst for passengers of any loyalty program.
1) The program pits new customers against loyal customers for booking some of the best experiences, from itineraries and shore excursions to onboard activities. Yes, this is a perk for those who sail often, but Disney should provide these opportunities for everyone. Preferential booking has zero cost to DCL and due to the restricted availability a lot of people like it. That's why they offer it. I think it is awful.
2) Using number of sailings rather than number of nights is outright silly. Yes, the per night cost is higher, but people book these back-to-back at discounts and get double credit for the same folks who book a more traditional seven night vacation. Again, favoring those who have the money to pay vs. families that are just trying to have a good vacation. Couple that with the longer trans-Atlantic and Panama Canal cruises, which while popular are not full sailings, and you have a bad decision made worse.
3) Not enough tiers. As was mentioned in the original post, there should be at least two more tiers, especially when they get the new ships.

My recommendations.

Add the two tiers the original poster suggested, but convert to number of nights, not sailings. DCL knows how many nights everyone has sailed, just convert it. If someone drops a level as a result, grandfather them in at their current level, but earning the next level requires them to make up the lost ground first.

Change the loyalty program from providing early bookings and instead offer a loyalty boarding order along along a special loyalty level booking number. Shorter hold times for those who have higher status (yes, this is easy to manage through very mature call center management software). This would still give customers preferential treatment, but anyone who choose to book early can. OK, I'll give you the early booking windows for new cruise dates, but not the early bookings for the sailing (e.g. shore excursions, specialty dining, etc.).

I like the other suggestions from the original post, but would add a "laundry credit" for the top tier. One free bag during the sailing or something like that at the full service laundry.

We are Gold right now and there just isn't much of an incentive to get to Platinum.

I think the loyalty program is fine the way it is. 10 cruises (for the highest tier) is something that seems attainable, so it provides some motivation for those interested in the perks. Since Disney's loyalty perks penalize newer cruisers (by making them wait to book new itineraries, excursions, PATs, etc.), adding more tiers with the same reward pattern would just be more disheartening to new cruisers- not something Disney should want to do. They want the new cruisers to feel valued and want to come back and cruise again.

As a gold CC member, I do value being able to book new itineraries before a lot of other cruisers, and getting a better chance on a better price & stateroom than I would have otherwise. LIkewise, it's nice to get a better shot at rare excursions and earlier PATs. I look forward to being Platinum and not having to wait for a certain boarding group number to board the ship, and to get first crack at the new sailings.

Little things like laundry tokens, etc., wouldn't be very meaningful to me. If I can afford to cruise DCL 10 times, I don't really need that. The existing perk of having first shot at new itineraries is a lot more valuable imo. An OBB credit would be great, but I don't see DCL being that generous unless the pandemic downturn wounds them so much that they can barely get by without offering deals every which way.

As far as # of nights vs. # of cruises is concerned, I think # of cruises is the better way to do it. Each cruise is its own special event, and represents another time that the person made a conscious choice to cruise DCL rather than a competitor or some other type of vacation. It rewards genuine loyalty. And as others have mentioned, shorter cruises often cost more per night, so it's perfectly fair. To be completely fair, DCL would have to base loyalty on dollars spent per cruiser (neither # of nights nor # of cruises), but I don't think most guests want DCL to start acting like an airline. It's fine the way it is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... just give me gift choice. I don't need 20 choices, one of 4 or 5 different things at each level. Then I can collect one of each for each trip, if I want or get the same one, if it's something I really love.

For Platinum with multiple returns, maybe at 30, you get two gifts or a better selection of gifts, like the choices you get at certain workplace anniversaries.

They could do a combination of cruises & days, as other cruise lines do.
They could do a lot of things. They could be completely fair and base it on dollars spent per passenger. But imo no change is needed. The current system does reward loyalty, in the form of cruisers coming back to cruise on DCL again and again. And that's the purpose of a loyalty program. DCL doesn't need to do more, to keep people cruising with them. It offers a unique and quality product. That in itself creates loyalty, more than any handout or incentive DCL could come up with.

As long as DCL can keep filling ships and being able to charge a premium price I don’t see them making any changes to do anything that would cost them money.

That said I agree that the plan needs to be changed from something strictly based on just number of sailings. To me it makes no sense that someone who spends over $10K for a med or Alaska cruise earns the same as someone that books a 3 night GTY cruise.

To me it makes no sense that someone who spends over $10K for a med or Alaska cruise earns the same as someone that books a 3 night GTY cruise.
Or that someone who pays twice as much to sail over New Year's Eve only earns the same as someone who sails the same itinerary in September or February. That's why I think dolllars spent is the only truly fair way. But I don't think it would be the best PR move for DCL.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... just give me gift choice. I don't need 20 choices, one of 4 or 5 different things at each level. Then I can collect one of each for each trip, if I want or get the same one, if it's something I really love.

For Platinum with multiple returns, maybe at 30, you get two gifts or a better selection of gifts, like the choices you get at certain workplace anniversaries.

I'd take a comped drink of the day every day over another bag/backpack and luggage tags.

What it really boils down to is, everyone wants the club to serve their best interests.

If you like long cruises, number of nights or amount of money spent is the ticket. If you like short cruises, number of cruises is the best.

I think everyone can agree that a combination of all these factors would be better to serve all guests but only time will tell if/when they will make any kinds of changes.

Here's hoping to hit Platinum (we are currently Gold) before they change the levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter