Hoyer patient lift in a value resort room?

markpenske

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever tried using a Hoyer style lift in one of the all-star room? Wondering if there is enough room.
Maybe with the trundle bed in the up position you can lift the patient onto the fixed positioned bed?

wasn't planning on an accessible room.
There are 3 of us. My son is in a wheelchair and we were going to get a Hoyer lift to lift him from his wheelchair to the bed. Just wondering if it will be too tight

It may be too tight.

Guest rooms at All-Star Movies are small at 260 square feet
see:
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/disneys-all-star-movies-resort#:~:text=All-Star Movies has around 200 handicap-accessible rooms. Some,height, to door widths, wheelchair ramps, and more.

Handicap-Accessible Room Options​

All-Star Movies has around 200 handicap-accessible rooms. Some feature roll-in showers, while others include assistive hearing devices. A subset of these rooms have been converted to comply with Florida's Accessibility Code, with changes to everything from bed, counter-top, and dresser drawer height, to door widths, wheelchair ramps, and more.

Some of Movies' accessible rooms have the standard setup of 2 queen beds, one of them a Murphy-style folding bed; all rooms with roll-in showers have 1 king bed, and a small number of roll-in shower rooms have both 1 king bed and 1 double bed. Use our hotel room finder to see which rooms have which features.

wasn't planning on an accessible room.
There are 3 of us. My son is in a wheelchair and we were going to get a Hoyer lift to lift him from his wheelchair to the bed. Just wondering if it will be too tight
The All Stars is pretty tight for 3 people. It will probably be really tight for 3 people, a wheelchair and a Hoyer lift. Are you planning to use Disney transportation? An offsite timeshare/condo might be a better fit for your family.

Has anyone ever tried using a Hoyer style lift in one of the all-star room? Wondering if there is enough room.
Maybe with the trundle bed in the up position you can lift the patient onto the fixed positioned bed?
All Star has trundle beds? I didn't know that! Is it a special category?

All Star has trundle beds? I didn't know that! Is it a special category?
I think the OP means the murphy bed.

are you specifically booking an accessible room?
I don't know that an accessible room would make much if any difference with regards to space for the lift. The square footage of the room is still the same, and in fact may be slightly less due to needing larger space for the bathroom. Though the bump-out of the flush entry supposedly makes up for that. So the actual space within the bedroom is not likely any greater in an accessible room vs a regular room, though a king room would have a moveable table and chairs -- but I believe OP has 3 guests in their party and would need the 2nd bed. (to my knowledge the "King+Double" option no longer exists)

yes, I meant Murphy bed.
In the past we've had 3 people in a standard room with a wheelchair. I would lift my son from his chair to the bed. But, I think those days are over. My thoughts now are to leave the Murphy bed in the up position and carefully maneuver the lift between the table and fixed position bed. There is plenty of room under the bed for the lift's rollers.
I know it will be tight and difficult

Just a follow-up. Our hoyer lift worked out nicely at a value resort standard room. It took a little trail and error but there is plenty of room.
First we would put the murphy bed up. Then lift our our son from his wheelchair to the fixed position bed. Plenty of room to maneuver. We then stored the lift in front of the window and the wheelchair next to the bathroom door.
Worked our great.

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out and how you positioned things.

Just a follow-up. Our hoyer lift worked out nicely at a value resort standard room. It took a little trail and error but there is plenty of room.
First we would put the murphy bed up. Then lift our our son from his wheelchair to the fixed position bed. Plenty of room to maneuver. We then stored the lift in front of the window and the wheelchair next to the bathroom door.
Worked our great.
I’m glad to be wrong! Thanks for the update :). I hope you guys had a blast.

Worked our great.

this is what I was going to suggest. Put him into the fixed bed and have the other one up - there will be more room. Then you can lower the other bed for yourselves

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter