HRH or PB?

QueenofPrideRock

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I have an upcoming trip right around Labor Day with my sister and a friend. Not doing HHN, in fact we're actively avoiding opening weekend, but proximity to the parks is still important. The trip will be 3 nights, with 2 full park days plus one afternoon of pool time (September weather permitting, lol). I'm deciding between a Garden View Queen Room at Hard Rock Hotel and Bay View Queen Room at Portofino Bay. Price isn't enough of a factor to make a difference.

Having stayed at Portofino and being jealous of the HRH when walking by it on the garden path, I know which one I am leaning towards ... but curious to hear the opinions of the board! Which would you choose and why?

Have you checked the hotels you listed have availability?
I booked late 2 weeks ago and only availability for me was PB

HR i keep checking in case there are any cancellations I can change to.

I am most likely wrong and misread your question but I took it as you do have a room booked and you are locked in

Or maybe you have booked both hotels and will decide soon which one to keep and cancel the other.

Hard Rock is my least favorite of the EP resorts, the overall vibe isn't me. PB is beautiful - I like the grounds and the pools, especially the Villa pool. I don't usually walk the garden path from PB to the parks, I take the boat or the shortcut through the HR parking lot.

Mostly these days I stay at less expensive resorts and pool hop to PB!

We've stayed at Hard Rock twice & Portofino only once.

We just didn't take to PBR - not sure why - thought we would.

We liked the more compact size of Hard Rock & it's super close to the parks although we always take the boats because that's a whole 'nuther attraction to us :). The pool is very nice & the slide's fun, too.

If it were me & I'd already been to PBR, I'd give HRH a try just to see how I liked it. Be warned that Pool View rooms are VERY loud, so stick with the Garden View - it was nice & quiet.

I'm hoping to stay at Royal Pacific one day - it's the only premier we haven't been to yet & judging by how much I loved Sapphire Falls, I have an inkling it will be my fav & I won't want to stay anywhere else, LOL!

Last edited:
PB every time!

It feels much more resort like than HRH. The pools are much better and don`t worry about walking, there are the boats and cut through HR, but in the grand scale of things, it`s not that bad a walk if something happened to the boats due to weather.

HRH is too in your face for me, I prefer the laid back feel of PB.

Thank you all for the replies!

Have you checked the hotels you listed have availability?
I booked late 2 weeks ago and only availability for me was PB

HR i keep checking in case there are any cancellations I can change to.

I am most likely wrong and misread your question but I took it as you do have a room booked and you are locked in

Or maybe you have booked both hotels and will decide soon which one to keep and cancel the other.

Yes, sorry - I currently have both rooms booked but plan to cancel one soon. :)

We've stayed at Hard Rock twice & Portofino only once.

We just didn't take to PBR - not sure why - thought we would.

We liked the more compact size of Hard Rock & it's super close to the parks although we always take the boats because that's a whole 'nuther attraction to us :). The pool is very nice & the slide's fun, too.

If it were me & I'd already been to PBR, I'd give HRH a try just to see how I liked it. Be warned that Pool View rooms are VERY loud, so stick with the Garden View - it was nice & quiet.

I'm hoping to stay at Royal Pacific one day - it's the only premier we haven't been to yet & judging by how much I loved Sapphire Falls, I have an inkling it will be my fav & I won't want to stay anywhere else, LOL!

This is exactly what I'm leaning towards, since I've done PB but not HRH - and TY for the reassurance on garden view! Sometimes I am swayed by "well, it's more expensive, so it must be better...." but am usually not a pool view person. (Speaking of which, it drives me bonkers when the Disney resorts lump pool view in with water view category, a peaceful lake or lagoon is very different.)

HRH for sure is a quick walk but I prefer Portofino. Esp if you’re doing a pool day.

I am going in November and toyed around with HRH and PB too..I stayed 2x at HRH but the deciding factor for me was price. Looks like PB having some type of lobby construction so price dropped signifcantly leaving only a $5 difference between the two..and with more square footage in PB it ended up being the choice. We are only staying 2 days so wanted a premier hotel that gave us fast pass.
considered just doing lower end hotel and buying fast passes for two days but in the end for me, it wasn't monetarily worth it

truthfully though over $500 night per room is really crazy.

I am going in November and toyed around with HRH and PB too..I stayed 2x at HRH but the deciding factor for me was price. Looks like PB having some type of lobby construction so price dropped signifcantly leaving only a $5 difference between the two..and with more square footage in PB it ended up being the choice. We are only staying 2 days so wanted a premier hotel that gave us fast pass.
considered just doing lower end hotel and buying fast passes for two days but in the end for me, it wasn't monetarily worth it

truthfully though over $500 night per room is really crazy.
Yeah - it all comes down to express pass and honestly the Disney Deluxe are in the same price range and you don't get anything like express pass.

We’ve stayed at both of those resorts in the past, in those same views!
I’d choose HRH.

PBH is pretty and the food options are good, but we like the young fun vibe at HRH and how short the walk is to the parks.

Yes, you can boat to the parks, but having the option to walk such a short way is a game changer.

In Disney terms…
HRH seems like a closer walk to US than CR is to MK, though it could be about the same.
The walk to PBH seems more of like YC/BC to HS (haven’t tried that so just guessing).
Both are walkable but one is so much closer.

In actuality it’s probably a 10-15 difference in time depending on your speed.
If you plan on taking the boats, I’d just pick which theme appeals to you more.
They both are really beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter