Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

One thing to add about the storm damage (maybe goes without saying?): it wasn't just the wind, it's wind AND rain. The trees, especially those with new or shallow root systems, have a difficult time standing in those winds. Up here in ATL we haven't had nearly the sustained winds or even gusts that Orlando had, and we have trees down all over the place! So, would all the trees around WDW still be standing if it had JUST been wind? My guess is that for the most part, yes.

So are the people taking refuge in the Disney Resorts paying full rack rates for their rooms or is there some type of provision for those escaping the Hurricane as opposed to regular guests?

Anyone?

I noticed no one responded to you. According to the reports on the different Irma threads here, yes, the resorts were very generous with discounts - many people reported being able to extend for a few nights at a 40% discount. I think Disney was very generous in their cancellation, refund AND extension policies. The only difficulties and complaints in rescheduling was regarding free dining; people weren't always able to reschedule during a free dining period and thus "lost" it. (And honestly, I wanted to say to those people, "PLEASE! Run the numbers!" Food is the one place you CAN control the cost for a WDW vacation!)

The weather channel did an excellent simulation of what happened...

Basically the eyewall tried to go through a replacement cycle while it was hung up over Cuba..slowed down too much, and a dry front from the gulf had enough time to crash into the backside and lessen a lot of the force of the storm...

Really fascinating stuff.

Oh! That IS interesting! Did they just discuss this?

Seeing some of the pictures from the one web site, it looks like it was a good thing with limited amount of damage. Who knows if there had been more damage, the parks would not have been ready for visitors anytime soon. My uncle and aunt who have a residence near the Port Charlotte area where the eye past though. (It was a few miles to the east.) They were evacuated by the local officials. We heard from them briefly. They were OK and their property had minimal damage. As my uncle said many trees and signs down how the more important limited and minor flooding in their area as they were prepping for the worst. Right now they are pretty much out of power like many places within Florida. Same thing for my friends who live outside of Orlando. They had limited damage but the neighborhood is nothing but downed trees and the like. They too are on generator power.

Insurance companies were estimating payout up to 200 billion dollars! There was an announcement yesterday the estimate of damage would be about a 1/4 of that around 50 Billion if not less. One report had even a lower number around 30 billion. Still alot of money but nothing what they had estimated before. Point being this limited amount of damage is going to help the local economy recover faster and easier. By the looks of it, Disney will be cleaned up in a few days or so.

I am in the industry and we were bracing for a loss of up to $150bn as of Friday depending on how things went. Latest estimate I saw from one of the Cat Modeling companies (AIR) was $20-40bn ... coming after Harvey's estimated $8-10bn.

I saw a picture of some roads they looked pretty broken. Hopefully people know to
Stay off of them till
They get the all clear.

I'm guessing animal kingdom is probably the biggest mess due to all the trees?

Yesterday a cast member told us Jungle Cruise is closed for at least a week, possibly longer. Hopefully, they will be able to get it up and running sooner.

Any word on what is up with living with the land. I show no wait time is this also down ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter