I agree about the deluxe dining plan being too much work.

I went from thinking the DDP was the best thing since sliced bread, the next trip was the DDP was a great deal, and the last trip was it is a break even thing, to now I won't do it again.

I know I am getting old and cranky, but what Disney is charging for food is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, if the food was superb (and Disney does have some places like this), I have no problem opening my wallet.

After the last trip even with the DDP we did some special dining events and it just seems the food is going down in quality and going up in price.

I have said different in the past and defended Disney but now I think we are being taken advantage of.

JMHO

We booked the bounceback free dining promo, so are only paying the difference between the reg & DX plans (740 for 10 days for 2A, 1C). We don't have to work too hard to make it worth it moneywise, and I'm used to planning every meal from our last two trips with free dining. I love the planning part! I have to admit that I'm concerned that we won't have enough time for DTD (no meals planned there yet), and the outlet. I think this is a great opportunity, though, for us to try many of the things we normally shy away from. We are doing CRT, BD, Mickey's BBQ, HDD, and Narcoosees, plus, many character meals for DD5, and a few that we've loved in the past- CR, LC, etc. I'm a big foodie, and that is one of the things I most look forward to on vacation. Food & shopping & rides. DD5 always wanted to go "back to the room" last trip, so hopefully these meals will give her wind down time and AC. The DXDP will take away the indecisiveness we have and offsite meals. It will give us the incentive to get up & out earlier, to get more done in the AM, instead of sitting in the room trying to figure out our next step. Only thing left is to convince DH to take advantage of some EMH (evening)! :banana:

I went from thinking the DDP was the best thing since sliced bread, the next trip was the DDP was a great deal, and the last trip was it is a break even thing, to now I won't do it again.

I know I am getting old and cranky, but what Disney is charging for food is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, if the food was superb (and Disney does have some places like this), I have no problem opening my wallet.

After the last trip even with the DDP we did some special dining events and it just seems the food is going down in quality and going up in price.

I have said different in the past and defended Disney but now I think we are being taken advantage of.

JMHO

I had to :rotfl2: at the old and cranky , I'm right there with you! I have also changed my opinions about the dining plan over the years. When they included the tip and appetizer I thought it was a pretty good deal. But then when they dropped that but not the price ( I think it was only a $1 less :rolleyes: ) then it lost it's value to me. I don't need the appetizer too ( it is too much food) but I would like to have seen more of a price reduction.

I can see where it works well for some people and I'm happy they can make the best of it but for me I am getting to the point ( maybe it's the old and cranky kicking in ;) ) where I don't want to plan every meal out six months in advance.

I just listened to the recent commentary about the various dining plans. I have a few thoughts...

I 100% disagree that the Deluxe Dining Plan is much more work than the regular plan. My parents have always used the regular plan and it is such a hassle to use the credits in a way that will allow them to visit certain restaurants. With the deluxe plan, you don't have to count as much. This year, appetizers and tips are not included. This makes the regular plan seem to be a waste.

Ultimately, the Premium Plan was the easiest to use. Sure, it is expensive, but my boyfriend and I never had to worry about not having enough "credits" to do what we wanted and to eat where we wanted to eat.

With the recent changes to all of the plans, I think there is less value to guests. Still, I find that the deluxe plan will offer us the ease and flexibility to go where we want to go. I am still very fired up that tips are no longer included.

With either plan you need to plan where you are going to eat. There is no difference. With the regular plan, if you want to eat at Crystal Palace, you need to plan for that. If you wanted to do it with the deluxe plan, you need to plan as well.

All in all, I think it is dependent on the type of vacation you want and what you would like to accomplish. For us, the Premium Plan has always been exceptional. Now that we are DVC owners, I'm looking forward to paying less on a plan and sticking with the Deluxe.

I just listened to the recent commentary about the various dining plans. I have a few thoughts...

I 100% disagree that the Deluxe Dining Plan is much more work than the regular plan. My parents have always used the regular plan and it is such a hassle to use the credits in a way that will allow them to visit certain restaurants. With the deluxe plan, you don't have to count as much. This year, appetizers and tips are not included. This makes the regular plan seem to be a waste.

Ultimately, the Premium Plan was the easiest to use. Sure, it is expensive, but my boyfriend and I never had to worry about not having enough "credits" to do what we wanted and to eat where we wanted to eat.

With the recent changes to all of the plans, I think there is less value to guests. Still, I find that the deluxe plan will offer us the ease and flexibility to go where we want to go. I am still very fired up that tips are no longer included.

With either plan you need to plan where you are going to eat. There is no difference. With the regular plan, if you want to eat at Crystal Palace, you need to plan for that. If you wanted to do it with the deluxe plan, you need to plan as well.

All in all, I think it is dependent on the type of vacation you want and what you would like to accomplish. For us, the Premium Plan has always been exceptional. Now that we are DVC owners, I'm looking forward to paying less on a plan and sticking with the Deluxe.

Ummm except with the deluxe, you have to make 3x as many reservations, make accomodations to be at 3x as many meal locations and pay 3x as much in tips. Yep sure seems like the deluxe is pretty much as easy to use as the basic plan. :rolleyes:

I get that for those who like to have that many sit down meals or to eat at the really fancy 2 credit places as a MAJOR component to their trip that it works for them, and becomes a cost saver at some point, but your average disney guest doesnt vacation that way at all.

True, but aren't you eating during the day anyway? lol. You'd need to figure out where to go so it might as well be in your head already. -shrug-

True, but aren't you eating during the day anyway? lol. You'd need to figure out where to go so it might as well be in your head already. -shrug-

Not trying to quibble with you Nikki, I just dont understand how you can make a statement like 'you 100% disagree with the deluxe plan being more work?'

Its obvious that it works into your ideas about a Disney vacation, since you referenced the premium plan on past visits, a plan that very few disney visitors have ever participated in. I think that puts your experience in fairly rarified territory and isnt indicative of what the average visitor expects.

Its not alot of work to stop at any of the varied CS places when your hungry and close by during the day or looking to satisfy a particular craving. How could anyone possibly interpret that as more work than making a lunch time ADR, being available to be at a set location at a certain time, being prepared in advance for whatever menu is offered at said location and incurring a higher expense?

I think it all comes down to the type of vacations your used to and what is considered easier for you.

Great points, everyone. I just wanted to share our point of view! :)

I think if you are a planner...you love it. If you don't like to plan or be tied down...then its not for you.

I am a planner...and thus love making my adr's before my trip. I think planning is 1/2 the fun...well maybe 1/4 the fun:)

That's a good way to put it! Thanks for forming the sentences for me! ;)

It works for us because we do minimum planning for our trips. Our meals are pretty much planned after we decide what park we'll be in and on what day (dependent on EMH (PM) of course).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter