"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

I really like photopass and the idea now. Not only have we gotten a lot of good photos this past year on trips (and not so good too haha) but I really realized at Christmas... I've been into pictures and scrapbooking since middle school, so I usually take a lot and some selfies. But we put together digital frames for the grandparents for Christmas, and his brothers have so few pictures of them or with their SOs.

I really appreciate the photos I've got from Photopass, too! I probably wouldn't pay for it out of pocket usually, except probably for really special trips like our wedding trip, etc., but since it's included with our annual pass I've really come to like it! It's really special to get photos with everyone in them! I'm also usually the one behind the camera, so if it's not a selfie I'm not usually in it. Unless my mom and grandmother tag along...then they go picture-crazy...

Haha Zack always says he's bad at smiling, and feels weird if his teeth show etc... I tell him he's overthinking it. But it just looks like he's over pictures now :rotfl:

Baha! I get it though, because Nathan won't smile with his teeth for this reason. I think there are more men than women who have this concern. I used to have a pretty fake smile in pictures as a kid, but I've gotten a lot better.

Just wait until you see zack's face in our pirates photo because that was happening...

Looking forward to this! I really can't stand people taking flash photos...

Nathan's mom apparently was taking flash photos on the Nemo ride at Epcot, and it's probably good I wasn't there because she was having a lot of fun and I would have crushed that real quick!

All caught up!

Have a safe trip and hope there are lots of magical memories for you on this trip.

Thank you so much!

Aww that's cute. I'd totally make a beeline for Winne the Pooh!!

It's a great way to start your [blustery] day!

How cute you rode Winnie the Pooh and then had breakfast with them!! :)

It really did work out nicely! And the character interactions were fun at that meal :)

Hahaha this is so true. Along with people who get in the way of your pictures with the castle on Main Street.

Ugggh! The worst!! Especially when it's with a photopass photographer who's all legit and stuff. Gah!

Aww it was so nice meeting you and Nate and your families! You are all so cute! I think your mom was filming our DISmeet! It was adorable!
I'm sorry I was a hot mess too! My niece kept asking me to buy the "white" fidget spinner, and not the black one, and she kept insisting I remember to get her the "white" one. Technically it was for her brother but she said she was just instructing me on what "he" wanted. Hahaha.
Glad you liked the card! I may have a picture somewhere and I'll post it if I do!

My mom definitely took pictures during our meet! She was pretty obsessed with documenting this trip. :) I found my pictures of the card, so I'll have to put them up in the next update. It really was amazing how the bride and groom on the card even ended up looking like us!!

uh oh!! what happened?

Spoiler alert: I had pushed a little too hard in the heat this day, and I ended up checking myself into the first aid center for a while. On the plus side, it was a experience and document a different behind-the-scenes kind of thing for my TR for all of your information! haha

Poor Brad :laughing: But do you really expect anything else when men are communicating?

I should have guessed!! :P I don't know if it's so much a blanket "men" thing or not—I'd like to think I'm too much of a feminist for that!—but I certainly know that Nathan at least doesn't do so well communicating...pretty much anything. :P

(Sorry Nate, if you're reading this. I'm kidding! Kinda...)

What’s in the middle? Some kind of sorbet?

Yep! It's the raspberry sorbet that they seem to carry at a lot of Disney restaurants. But it's a pretty good sorbet, and it tasted even better with the effort that went into the dessert here!

I’m so sad about this :worried: We’re eating there on our next trip and I wanted tigger to sign a picture of me in a tigger costume as a kid.

I've heard that they've already switched back to signing because it didn't go over well when they tried not to, but I'm not 100% sure about that because I haven't been back since then myself. But hopefully you can still do this now! That would be adorable!

Sounds like a great start to your first MK day!

Merry Christmas, and have a magical trip!!! :tink:

Thanks! It was a mixed kinda trip, but there was definitely still lots of magic :lovestruc

:laughing: I don't think that's a problem for you at the moment. Unless you let your hair grow back.

Truth! I'm already starting to get ponytail envy though, so eventually the hair will probably be grown out again. The grass is always greener...

ooooh... right. forgot that one.

Nathan's an expert jar-opener. I have less-than-stellar grip strength, which I blame on my brain condition, and he's constantly showing me up in the jar-opening department.

No kidding! I'm surprised you got up in the a.m.!

I think the only reason I woke up in the morning at all was because I'm pretty sure I was out cold before 10pm the night before. Had to get to the park early though! Burning daylight!

(And beautiful ring, if I haven't already said that.)

Thank you! We actually picked it out together, which I know is a little unorthodox, but we both think it's beautiful. I'm pretty proud of it!

Well, of course.
The last time I soloed it was the first ride I rode, too!

It's just such a solid, fun ride to start your day with. And I have a habit of using FP for mid-morning for other Fantasyland attractions, so we knock off things like Winnie the Pooh before and between those FPs.

Because the shirts and hair would no longer be cute?

They'd be cute, you're right...me on the other hand? Probably not so cute in the Florida heat after the first hour or so. Ugggh.

No one does. You need a cloudy day for good photos. Or shade.

Very true! If only the weather obeyed my commands on Disney days!!

Is it difficult to sweat on demand?

Somehow, on that day, it was surprisingly easy! On a day like today in a Canadian winter...not so much... :laughing:

You have a second, not-so-favourite sad donkey?

Surprisingly, I do! My childhood best friend has a donkey named Small One (I assume he's named after the Christmas story, but I've never asked...) He's not a particularly happy donkey unless he's being fed.

They don't? Just too much time to do so?

I think this is the reason they stopped signing. But I've since heard that it didn't go over well and they're back to signing again? Not 100% sure on that though.

::yes:: I've seen photos. There's over a hundred of 'em!

The chunky family is no joke! You blink and they multiply! :lmao:

Ooo pretty. This reminds me of a funny story. In DS we saw a lady taking pictures of her ring (I assume she was recently engaged) and she asked her fiance to take one. But she kept yelling at her fiance for not getting the right lighting in the picture :rotfl:

Bahah this is hilarious! Sounds like something I would do :rolleyes1

Our first Disney ride ever was Journey Into the Imagination :rotfl:

Haha love this!

That is amazing. Ugh. I love Disney magic.

It's really amazing how they go above and beyond! :lovestruc

How sweet! I would love to see it!

I found my pictures of the card, so I'll be sure to post them! It was a work of art!

Wishing you a fantastic trip!

You had a great first-married-morning at Magic Kingdom!

Love you shirts, Dooney and ring-bling.

Pooh is a great first ride, especially since it has so much meaning to you as a couple.

The Crystal Palace breakfast sounds like it was fun. I love the pictures and especially the selfies! Good on them for "breaking the rule" and getting your mat signed.

You had a fun lineup on rides. Boo on the flashing on Little Mermaid, though!

::yes::

Thanks so much!

Pooh is an excellent ride! I don't think it gets enough credit! :-)

Flash photos on dark rides drive me crazy!! It's inconsiderate to the people around you, and flash photos on those rides always turn out looking terrible anyway, so it's definitely not worth it!

Grandmas are allowed!

My grandma is a great one, so she gets a pass most of the time. :)

I"m so glad everyone was having such a great time. I've read too many other TRs where there were too many grumpy gills in the crowd.

It seems to be a trend in a lot of TRs! I really lucked out with my crew.

Oh, no! We went in August once and the humidity is unreal, you can't even imagine it or describe it, you just have to experience it for yourself to see how awful it really is :rotfl:

It's insane! My family always used to go in the summer when I was small because my mom was a teacher and it was the only time of year when she got enough time off that we could drive down. I vaguely remembered what to expect, but I think kids can almost take the heat/humidity in stride better than adults sometimes! I really mentally prepared myself to be absolutely miserable though, so I was pleasantly surprised that I only felt somewhat soaked and disgusting most of the time. :laughing:

I love these guys, though we've skipped this the last few trips. I can't wait to bring my little niece to start going back to all these places!

It's such a fun spot for little ones! ::yes:: Originally we'd planned to bring my little cousin along, and I think he would have liked it a lot. He just turned nine and he hasn't quite grown out of those things yet. He's getting close. But even just for the adults, we had a great time!

Aw! She pops up in everyone's trip report! I missed her on my trip though :sad1:

She really does! It was great to meet Su-Lynn! With their "Year of Disney" it's no surprise she's been at WDW for so many other Disers' trips! Hopefully you'll get to meet @chunkymonkey sometime on a future trip. :)

So sweet! If her cards are half as nice as her dresses, I'm sure it's amazing!

It was a real work of art! She's got talent! I'd be lying if I said we still have all of our wedding cards, but we've tucked this one away in our wedding memory box and will hold on to it forever. :-)

Oh, no! I'm guessing it has something to do with that hat!

Oooh, that's a good guess! I hadn't even thought about that! I'm actually shocked he managed to hold on to that hat with the rides we put him on...

Such cute PP pics of you two!

And of course I love all the character photos from breakfast! So nice that the CM was able to get your mat signed for you!

Sounds like it was a great morning so far and that your family was enjoying it!

Thanks! We had a great morning with awesome character interactions! It seemed like everyone was in a good mood and having fun!

What a great picture. I love your dress!!!!

Thank you! I'd had it in my closet for years and never worn it. I'm not even 100% sure why I bought it in the first place. But it really did work perfectly for the occasion.

How very odd that he wanted to get in the pictures. I think he'd more aptly be the un-Disney guy

It was SO strange. It just made us feel weird. Not very Disney at all.

Glad to hear dinner was a success for everyone. So brilliant of you to go somewhere that could please everyone!

It really was a success! And perfect that it happened to be somewhere with meaning for me and Nate, too. I'm a breakfast girl, so we usually hit Boma for breakfast, but the dinner was also excellent that night.

Hope you got out ok and are having a fabulous time!

Thanks, we had a [mostly] great [and chilly] time! Miraculously the weather just barely cooperated for both our departure and our return flights. We just managed to dodge big storms both times.

How great they did this for you. I had no idea they stopped signed autographs in there, but glad to hear they did right by the bride!

It was awesome of them to do! And it seems they may have already switched back to signing again because that procedure didn't seem to go over well. At least that's what I've heard. Not 100% sure on this...

Why on earth has it taken me so long to find one of your reports?! I love your style and it seems like y'all are already having so much fun. I can't wait to read about the rest of your honeymoon trip! I am all caught up now and wishing you so much fun on your current trip! "See" you when you get back :flower3:

Oh my goodness, :welcome:!! Thanks so much for reading and joining in! We really did have the most amazing trip! Despite the heat and the occasional mishap, it was by far the best trip I've ever had. :D

Merry Christmas Happy New Year and hope your enjoying yourself at WDW right now.

Thanks so much! A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

I'd say, but how did it taste?

It was really tasty! The little brownies around the bottom come from Erin McKenna's, and they're quite good! But I was stuffed by that point, so it was a challenge :laughing:

On our trip we took off our sunglasses for photo's only if we were in the shade or it was overcast. No need for squinty pics.

That's a good strategy! I don't wear sunglasses much, but I really should when I go down there. Would be better for the photos and for my eyes!

Still loving your hair cut. I bet you appreciated how cool it was on this hot day.

It made such a huge difference!!

:lmao:definitely not what I was thinking.

Surprise! :laughing: Pooh is always one of our go-to's when it comes to first rides now.

Thankfully this was something Disney was trying. It didn't go over very well with guests so they were back to signing by the time we went a few weeks ago. We got all of their signatures. I am so happy for you that they made an exception.

I'm really glad to hear that!! People kind of expect it, so I'm not surprised it didn't go over well. I understand them doing something like this for characters who don't sign, or even for the really long lines at events like the Christmas parties, etc. But they should definitely be signing for character breakfasts!

Sorry to hear the cake didn't fully recover but smart of you to refrigerate it!

It wasn't perfect after that, but it definitely helped! I made several attempts to eat more of it as the trip went on, and then eventually threw in the towel.

I didn't know you could pay for other people's meals using dining credits. That was a really smart idea on your part.

Yeah, it worked out perfectly! I made sure to check beforehand, and I kept a screenshot of the "chat" to have it in writing if someone questioned it, but nobody gave us any trouble about it. It seems that the policy is typically that they're your credits and you can choose to spend them however you want.

:eek::rotfl:
Well then...he was certainly an interesting fellow.

It was so strange!! What a funny little man...

I wondered about that in your earlier photos of everyone in the limo! I just assumed he was the kind of guy who hated dressing up.:rotfl2:

The sad thing is that Brad is actually the kind of guy who loves to dress up! And he's good at it! In University I didn't even own an iron, and I occasionally had to borrow his, which he used all the time. He's a pianist, so he has a nice collection of dress clothes for performing and going to concerts. And he has the most massive tie collection I've ever seen from a man in his 20s! Oh well...

I didn't know that! Alex proposed to me in front of giraffes, too. See, I knew there was a reason I liked you...we both have excellent taste in animal preferences.

Oooh great minds! And really, what's not to love about giraffes!? They're pretty awesome animals! How cool that we have this in common in our proposal stories! :hug:

Great photo. Although, I'm sure you were quite sick of photos by that point.

So many pictures on your wedding day! :scared:

I was doing okay by that point, but by suppertime of the day after the wedding it was starting to get old.

Aww, I love this. How very fitting to make Pooh your first married couple ride.

Pooh makes a great way to start your day! Nathan's really attached to it, too. He's pretty sentimental. :goodvibes

Seems like all the servers were really helpful!

We had awesome servers pretty much across the board on this trip. I'm wracking my brain to think whether there were any issues. I'm sure I'll come across them in my notes in time, but I can't think of any!

Finally caught up after the holidays! The rest of your wedding day looked fantastic. You're so brave going short and it suits you! There's something very liberating about chopping it all off after it being a focus (for me at least) during the wedding!

The honeymoon seems to be off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more!

Thank you! I'd been wanting to cut my hair for a long time, and I figured that if I didn't like it then it would grow back eventually. But it was important for me to keep my hair until after the wedding for sure! I wanted to make sure my wedding pictures still "looked like me," and I'd only had long-ish hair for years. Now I love my short hair, but I also already getting ponytail envy...Lord help me! :P

We have the same tradition! Pooh was our first ride ever at Disney, so now it has to be first every time!

No way! It's a great ride to start with! :)

Please do be honest. I experienced a lot of negative on our last trip and understand wanting not to focus on it much. Not every Dis trip can be awesome, especially with all of the different people around.

It's all about balance, I think. Travelling with different personalities can be tough when you're used to how you normally travel on your own. But all things considered we actually did very well, and being home has already given me a lot of perspective on the trip. I'm looking forward to sharing the good (and not as good) with you guys!

Welcome back!

Can't wait to read all about the trip, warts and all. Some trips are just more drama-y than others.

:faint:

Thank you!! That seems to be the case, I think. It was mostly good, and could have been much worse. Mostly the state of my health and the weather were the biggest issues, so I really can't complain.

So...... (other than the freezing) pretty normal, huh?

Haha I suppose so!

Oh, goody. :)

Weird trip report titles are my jam! ...though I think I probably think I'm much funnier than I actually am. ...and I'm okay with that. :goodvibes

I would suggest that. It's hard enough doing one at a time! I don't get how some people do more than one at a time.

I can't imagine how people write multiple TRs! I'm thinking I'll do a bit of preliminary writing now to make sure the stories are all fresh, and then I'll just tuck it away on my hard drive for a bit until this TR is done and I'm ready to start on the next one, edit photos, and add to it...we'll see how this works... :confused3

A "few" and "minor"..... I'd call that a win, then. At least when it comes to touring with family.

That's a good point! :laughing: I've already gained a lot of perspective even just being home for a few days. The cold and the state of my health definitely cast a bit of a pall over things. But objectively, it was a pretty good trip, all things considered. I think it will be good for me to kinda process it all, trip-report style!

Welcome home, Meghan. :goodvibes

Thank you! Glad to be back...not so glad to jump into classes again. Where did the break go!? :confused3

We just got back on Wednesday night 1/3. Were you in MK on that day?

Oh, I hope you had a great trip! And no, funny enough we were in the MK on 1/2 and 1/4, but not 1/3. :laughing:

I"m not sure any trip is complete without a bit of that!

We're glad you're home safe and sound too! Welcome back!

:hug:

It's true—every trip needs to have at least a sprinkling of drama. All things considered, it really was a pretty decent trip. Thanks—glad to be back!

I’m contemplating writing a report for my December trip, which was awesome and frustrating at the same time.

I've found it's a good way to preserve the memories, and to process everything! :)

You sure you weren't already in Jersey?

:rotfl:
Yeah, driving was wild!

I am from Jersey and that part is def not the most beautiful

I'd really like a do-over with Jersey! My only experiences with it have been in this stretch.

Love the bag! I want to get a Disney D&B but haven't found the pattern that I want to take the plunge on.

Thanks! I really love mine. But it's hard to find the pattern that makes it worth it for you. It has to be the right one.

Ha. I know how you feel! My DH has been out in LA, and he almost went to Disneyland with out us! But he wised up and said he couldn't go with out his family for fear of divorce.

Oh if Nathan went to DLR without me I wouldn't stand for that! Since I've never been there yet. Your DH made the right choice! :laughing:

I love the looks on both of your faces. Happy/Nervous/Excitied all balled into one.

That sums it up! It was quite the morning. :goodvibes

This is AMAZING!!! I would of been hesitant but I color is awesome!

Thanks! I was a little unsure, too. But Nathan loves Halloween and I knew he'd be all for it. And the pictures came out great, so it was definitely a good choice in the end.

Alll of the photos are fantastic!

Thank you!! We had a great photographer and it was easy to smile that day ::yes::

OMG!!! Everything about your wedding day was just amazing. I loved reading ALL of the posts!

Thanks so much! I'm so pleased with how it all came together! But you guys are troopers for reading all about it in detail! :laughing:

I don't know why, but I love that he has his magic band on... Most wedding photos don't include magic bands.

That's true! Part of me almost wanted to wear mine, too :laughing:

Aren't they fancy! It's the ultimate meet n greet!

They really were so charming! Had we been wearing anything but wedding attire, they would have put us to shame! Great interactions with them, too.

I can't get over how different you look! It really changes your look. Granted I only know you from this trip report... But it looks great!

Thanks! It's a very different look, for sure! Sometimes I miss long hair, but I really like it!

Piglet is so ready for this selfie action!! Tusker House characters were pretty much selfie pros too, for future reference, lol

Piglet had his game face on this day! He was soo there for the selfies! Ooh, that's good to know for the next time we hit up TH...

loathe entirely.

A girl behind us on Pirates did this and her boyfriend/husband/male companion said, "Oh my god, put that s**t away. You are breaking the rules, I can no longer be seen with you"

yes.

Oh my gosh, sometimes it's hard to even talk about this it bothers me so much. I do not know this man, but I love him! Respect! :goodvibes

Would you believe these were the only bathrooms without a line on 12/30 in the MK?? Every other one had a line a mile long!

No way! I can't imagine that!

Welcome home! I hope you do write a TR as I would love to hear about it, even the not so good parts! :)

Thank you!! I'm thinking I'll definitely write one, the more I think about it. A few days at home has given me some perspective for sure, and it really was a mostly good trip with a few not-so-good factors. I always love hearing about other people's trips, even when they're not always 100% perfect. I guess no trip really is anyway!

That sucks, but it happens. For me it was my trip in 2008, but luckily it was before I started writing trip reports. It was cold, crowded, and I came home with strep throat and a double ear infection so completely miserable flying! It is hard to be totally honest in a trip report without feeling like a complainer or Debbie Downer. No worries, though. Most of us have been around long enough to understand that not even trip is super magical and it's still okay :hug:
Ten years after that horrible trip I still love WDW (maybe even more so) and when I think about it, I tend to forget the negative aspects…except CBR, which I will never stay at again!

Thanks, hearing that is encouraging!! Being home for a few days has given me a little perspective, and I know a lot of it was just influenced by the cold and by me getting sick. It's amazing what effect that can have! But there was lots of good stuff there...and starting to plan for our February trip has made me feel lucky that I get a "do-over" so soon! :)

Interestingly enough, we had few complaints about CBR this time around! ...other than that I think CBR and I are cursed. Which I'll have to touch on in the eventual trip report!

Awesome! I'm sure there was more good than bad :-)

Definitely!

Yay, glad your back and that your travel wasn't hindered by the weather. I would love, love, love for you to do a TR on the marathon trip. I want to hear the good and the bad, but definitely the good. ;)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting the whole trip down in writing, and I think I'll find that the majority of what I have to share with you guys was good stuff. :)

Absolutely make a trip report!

I'm thinking I definitely will, the more I think about it and read comments!

Haha! Good luck getting thru everything!

Oh my gosh, it's been wild! I'm still not caught up yet, and I've been chipping away at it pretty steadily!

Sigh. Ditto, here, my friend!

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I guess not all trips can be stellar. There was lots of good on our trip...but some confounding variables for sure! And that weather...brutal...made a big difference for me! I don't expect 90 degree weather in December or anything, but that was really something else. ...if only I hadn't left my winter jacket in Maine! :sad1:

Unfortunately, not every trip can be magical and happy 100 percent of the time. Life's like that...however, I still want to read all about your trip and hear about the highs and lows. It all comes together to make the Disney experience...

Ain't that the truth! I've gained some perspective the last few days being at home, and I'm really feeling a lot better about the whole thing than I was. But there was good and bad...a little less magical than I was used to. I think it will be good to write about it and make the most of all that went right on the trip! And fortunately, we're super blessed with the chance to get a "do-over" next month, which I'm not taking for granted. :-)

Hahaha, oh man...you had a few notifications to sort through!

Oh my gosh!! I mean, I love hearing about everyone's trips...but it's been a bit of a slog! I got soo behind! It ended up being over a hundred notifications before all was said and done. And I'm still not quite caught up yet. Oooff!

Welcome back, excited to continue reading your wonderful wedding TR and your new one when it starts. Some trips are more frustrating then others that is for sure. We had some bummer moments at Thanksgiving but overall a fun trip that I would do again!

Thank you!! I think our trip was probably pretty similar to your Thanksgiving one in that way! I've been lucky that our last few trips have just been so amazing that this one seemed starkly different in contrast! But that's how it goes sometimes, and there were lots of good moments, too. Thanks for following along!

That's a good strategy! I don't wear sunglasses much, but I really should when I go down there. Would be better for the photos and for my eyes!
Plus it will help you look younger longer, squinting all the time will add lines to your face.

Plus it will help you look younger longer, squinting all the time will add lines to your face.

True! (Though I'm still being mistaken for a high school student most of the time, so maybe that would help! :laughing:) And much better for preventing tension headaches.

I got behind, but am caught up again :thumbsup2. Glad the rest of your wedding day went well even if the hairdresser was the best. I love your Winnie the Pooh morning.

Sorry your most recent trip wasn’t the best. It’s so disappointing when a trip has so much negative attached to it (I’ve certainly had my share). But now you have another trip to look forward to.

I got behind, but am caught up again :thumbsup2. Glad the rest of your wedding day went well even if the hairdresser was the best. I love your Winnie the Pooh morning.

Sorry your most recent trip wasn’t the best. It’s so disappointing when a trip has so much negative attached to it (I’ve certainly had my share). But now you have another trip to look forward to.

Welcome back! :) Even a somewhat negative WDW trip has to be better than a regular day at home, I think. There was some negative that cast a pall on things for sure, but also lots of good. But yes, I'm glad to have a do-over trip to throw myself into so soon :)

Ohana Means Family
Disney Day 4 - Part 2

Okay...uggh...so where was I even? Does anyone even remember? Yeah...sorry guys...it's been a while! But now I'm back, and ready to crank out the rest of this Disney day!

First, a quick life update. So...like...Happy New Year, everyone! :goodvibes As some of you may know from social media, we have a neat alternative to traditional New Year's resolutions in our house. It all started when I met the most amazing lady who had been diagnosed with a autoimmune disease in her twenties. Her disease had been considered terminal, and it had temporarily taken her sight and permanently taken her hearing. When she got diagnosed, she vowed to learn to do something new for every year she had left. Miraculously, she had lived into her sixties by the time we met, and she had learned to do some of the most amazing things: build and paddle a kayak, play bluegrass guitar, become a pilot (@Steppesister reminded me of her in this way,) etc. I decided to adopt this practice in my life, and over the last few years I've learned a few neat things, including Braille, how to crochet, and running a 5K. This year N's jumped on the bandwagon and he wants to learn Japanese. I've taken a different approach. I've decided that I'm already enthused with what I'm learning in school this term, but that instead, I have resolved to read one book for pleasure every month.

I've also gotten back to school for my second term of my masters, and things are going fairly smoothly so far. We're in the process of planning our February trip over my "spring" break, and I was pleased to see that I'll only have one major midterm and one project due in the week following our return. #winning

N is in Florida this weekend for work, and he's driving to Quebec for another work event next weekend, so Stacey and I have been keeping ourselves occupied. She was even mildly affectionate when we got home from our most recent trip, which is pretty impressive for her! I think she missed us a little bit.

7JH02ZN.jpg

I went to see The Greatest Showman by myself at the theatre last night, and I thought it was great! I loved the music, and I've been watching Keala Settle on Youtube sing just about anything ever since. I just wished that there had been a more in-depth look into the lives of the "oddities" because I felt like the movie was a little superficial and didn't go as deep as I'd hoped. But I still highly recommend it if anyone is thinking about going!

Also, I discovered my photos of the beautiful wedding card that @chunkymonkey gave me, and which her sister handmade! Here you go—be appropriately impressed:

LvvkkaN.jpg

Isn't it amazing!? The coolest part is that Su-Lynn hadn't told her sister anything about what N and I looked like beforehand, and yet somehow she managed to depict us pretty much perfectly (before my haircut, obviously.) Fantastic!

So where were we....ah yes, I remember...things were about to go downhill. :scared: We had just literally sped "downhill" on Splash mountain, my favourite ride ever, and we were about to head toward New Fantasyland for a much-anticipated FP on 7DMT. 7DMT was still under construction the last time I'd taken a trip with my mom, and at the time we were excited about riding it on our next trip. I was looking forward to finally riding it with her...but did I?

Y08DQ6g.gif

...No. No, I didn't. :sad2:

(Spoiler alert: we would fix this on our most recent December trip!)

When we got off Splash Mountain, something wasn't right. I had been pushing hard in the heat to that point in the day with no breaks, and now it was early afternoon. Sometimes my brain condition can be very sneaky, and in the middle of the fun and games, it shows up to crash the party. I started feeling really tired, nauseas, light-headed, weak in the limbs, etc. All typical Meghan-brain-isms, but at the worst of times! And I go from 0 to 60 almost immediately. I was okay and having fun...and then suddenly I wasn't. I downplayed it to my family so they wouldn't be worried, but I told them that I was starting to not feel well and that I thought I needed a break for the afternoon. They understood, and we decided to split up. N and I would take a break, and they would stay in the park since they weren't staying on property and would be meeting us for dinner that night at the Poly. I made them promise to ride 7DMT without me so I could see their ride photo.

Side note: hilarious by the way! Because my step-father did NOT like it! :laughing:
cLGAkNO.jpg

After that they decided to take it slow in the heat, and they did the Peoplemover and the Carousel of Progress, milled around for a bit, etc., and then made their way to the Poly to lounge in the lounge and wait for dinner. They also did some exploring while they were there and took a few photos.

DNxvalM.jpg

U6rywTy.jpg

G4ScBl5.jpg

While they were doing this, N and I made our way into the shade and AC provided by the gift shop outside Splash. Without the rest of my family there for me to hoodwink, N could see that I wasn't doing very well. I wasn't getting much better sitting there either, but I was worried about getting back to the hotel with how I was feeling, and I'm fairly introverted and private when I'm not feeling well, so I hoped to avoid making a scene or asking a CM for assistance. I decided that my best bet would be to try to walk toward the front of the park as far as the first aid station, and then try to rest for a while there before leaving the park.

The upside of this whole experience is that now I get to give you all the low-down on the in-park first aid centres, in case any of you didn't realize they were an available resource, or for anyone who's just curious about what they're like! :thumbsup2

I had never been inside the first aid stations before, so I didn't know what to expect, but I knew that there was one inside every park. If you're ever in the park and you have a minor medical concern, like you need a band-aid, or you have a headache and need some drugs, you should absolutely pop in! They will give you these things for free, and you'll be on your way. They also have trained medical staff—I believe most are nurses?—onsite, and they can deal with some more serious medical issues, or can help you decide what your next step should be if they can't help you. They're also a good place to keep in mind if you notice yourself getting dehydrated in the Florida heat, because they can provide you with (free!) water or Powerade and give you a quiet place to rest. SO! The first aid station in the MK is tucked away beside the Crystal Palace restaurant. When I arrived, I told the CM that I had a brain condition and had pushed myself too hard in the heat, and that I wasn't in danger but needed a place to rest. I signed my name on a sign-in sheet, and they took me out back to an area resembling a hospital out-patient ward, with curtained-off "rooms", which each had a hospital bed and chair. (For reference, the people who had arrived in front of me had just needed Advil, so they were just given what they needed and didn't have to sign in.) I wasn't allowed to bring in outside food (which we learned when N tried to go get me some popcorn—sometimes I get sick-y when I'm hangry!) It makes sense, since they are responsible for you while you're in their care, and also since they don't want anything strong-smelling brought in because others may have scent sensitivities. They did, however, offer me water and a bottle of Powerade, as well as some cool wet cloths. They also had crackers, but if you haven't noticed by now, I'm gluten-free so that wasn't super helpful. I lay down and sipped away for a while and recovered.

QrHtw8S.jpg

The staff were really nice and helpful, and the area was quiet, cool, and pretty peaceful. Nobody ever wants to go to first aid on vacation, but if you ever need it it's an excellent service!

After a while I was starting to feel a little more stable, and I also knew I wouldn't be back to myself until I had something to eat. (I'm weird this way. Something's not right? Feed me!) I signed out, and we were on our way. We headed back to the hotel, and I rested in the room while N went to the food court and brought back a personal gluten free pizza for us to share. I don't have pictures, but it was tasty as far as gluten free fake food goes. I'm pretty sure all it had on it was sausage and cheese, but since I wasn't the one to have to go order it, I wasn't going to complain at that point! (Those of you who are super meticulous in your TR-studying may notice that I "don't eat dairy," but that I'm eating cheese here. Cheese and yogurt are usually exceptions for me based on how I digest them. Sorry, I don't make the rules. My weird body does!)

I took a bit of a nap, and after a while I started coming around. Once I was feeling better, I packed a ginormous suitcase with all of our wedding stuff in it that we wouldn't be needing again on the trip. After dinner, I'd be giving it to my mom who would check it at the airport the next day and fly it home for me so we would have less stuff to lug from one resort to the next.

Soon enough, it was time to get back on the road to meet my family at the Polynesian for our meal at Ohana! N and I had been there before for dinner on a previous trip, but the rest of my family had never been. N loved Ohana when we went, but I found it overwhelming how much food was on the table for two people, especially since they always make up separate plates for allergy-friendly stuff. He was looking forward to going back, and I was looking forward to having some extra help at the table to share the food-consumption load with us!

BAySb91.jpg

We arrived at the Poly, and my family was already there, hanging out and getting their drink on...

qzs3m9q.jpg

They also wanted to see the temporary tattoos we'd applied in the hotel room, so we showed them off and photos were taken.

MzQy5Bp.jpg

InMuO4q.jpg

I remember waiting a bit to be seated, but not too long for Ohana's standards.

kVkczFo.jpg

We were seated, and the cousin (aka: server) helping us out was very good. While everyone else started off with the famous pineapple bread, I got to munch on these beauties:

Ec5MLmg.jpg

Oh gluten free hockey pucks, how I...tolerate thee!

I also ordered a virgin version of the raspberry-ginger mojito, which basically just excluded the vodka. (Finlandia Raspberry Vodka, Ginger, Mint, Raspberry Puree, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Coconut Water).

17Ze8J7.jpg

(Side note: It used to be that every time I ordered a non-alcoholic drink, people would assume I was underage. Now, suddenly everyone assumes I'm pregnant. The joys of married life! But for realz...chill out, guys. I'm just quite literally alcohol intolerant. No baby yet. It's been 5 months.)

Soon after, the first round of food arrived. These are considered the appetizers, I guess? Anyway, most of the contents of the skillet thing were a hit, but I think the wings, and dumplings, (or potstickers, or whatever they are,) were the most popular.

DMdrKAe.jpg

q1c5vOo.jpg

I was also given an allergy-friendly alternative, with naked wings (par-tay! :hyper:) mixed veggies, and rice. My aunt was also given a separate salad because she can't eat red onions.

9W7QHYz.jpg

This, as many of you know, is only the beginning at Ohana! The stars of the show are the never-ending skewers of chicken, beef, and shrimp. I can never decide which is my favourite, and fortunately I can eat them all despite my dietary restrictions. Sometimes one meat seems to be cooked better than the others, but this night they were all cooked perfectly and really tasty. I still wasn't feeling 100% though, so I only sampled a little bit of each.

Now we joke at home (or at least N and I do) because my step-father is very easily surprised/impressed, and he has a habit of exclaiming "Ooh-AAH!?" in his thick Greek accent whenever something catches him off-guard. He was quite taken by everything at the restaurant. My whole family was, really. It was a hit! But we snagged this photo of my step-father with one of the shrimp-serving-cousins to commemorate the meal. And you can kind of see from his face that he's in the middle of an "Ooh-AAH" moment:

mp9Tyqn.jpg

Of course, you can't have dinner at Ohana without saving room for dessert. Everyone was appropriately pleased with the bread pudding and ice cream, and I think everyone tried it even though they were pretty stuffed from dinner.

lNhBBch.jpg

I usually find dessert the hardest part of the meal for not being jealous of my gluten/dairy-eating family, but the chef had managed to put something together for me, too...

jqUDnhN.jpg

It doesn't look like too much, but it was soo good! Normally I would be offered sorbet (raspberry or mango, depending on the restaurant), or fresh fruit. It really means a lot when a chef puts in a little extra effort to combine and plate whatever they have available to make you feel like you're getting a special dessert, too. This was also the night that began my love affair with Tofutti vanilla "ice cream." I took a bite, and was a bit worried they'd made a mistake and had given me real ice cream. N tried it, and he was sure it couldn't be dairy-free, so I got my mom to try it because she's usually the best at determining these things. She didn't think it was regular dairy ice cream, but she agreed that it was an excellent substitute! I double checked with our cousin just to be safe, and he said something like, "Don't worry, we'd never do that to you!" (Thanks cuz, but it's happened before! Just being safe!) He told me what brand it was, and I've started buying it at home for special occasions.

The only downside to this lovely meal? A little before dessert I'd started looking at my watch, and realized that things were moving slower than I'd anticipated and that we probably would have to be done for the night after dinner. We wouldn't be getting back to the Magic Kingdom, which meant that I'd be missing out on my opportunity to meet @KathyM2 and her daughter, Alexis. I messaged Kathy to let her know, and she was super understanding, but I was sad that we didn't get a chance to say hello. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday!

With how the second half of my day had gone, and with an anticipated early morning the next day, it was probably best that we had an early night. After dinner we went back to CSR, and my mom came over with her rental car to pick up my massive suitcase. We wished them safe travels for their flight the following day, and we got to bed shortly after.

Our next day was going to be a big one, especially for N, and we were pumped!! :hyper:

Last edited:
As some of you may know from social media, we have a neat alternative to traditional New Years resolutions in our house. It all started when I met the most amazing lady who had been diagnosed with a autoimmune disease in her twenties. Her disease had been considered terminal, and it had temporarily taken her sight and permanently taken her hearing. When she got diagnosed, she vowed to learn to do something new for every year she had left. Miraculously, she had lived into her sixties by the time we met, and she had learned to do some of the most amazing things: build and paddle a kayak, play bluegrass guitar, become a pilot (@Steppesister reminded me of her in this way,) etc. I decided to adopt this practice in my life, and over the last few years I've learned a few neat things, including Braille, how to crochet, and running a 5K. This year N's jumped on the bandwagon and he wants to learn Japanese. I've taken a different approach. I've decided that I'm already enthused with what I'm learning in school this term, but that instead, I have resolved to read one book for pleasure every month.

Wow! That is great. Much more meaningful than pledging to give up 2 hours of TV per day or swearing less.

Also, I discovered my photos of the beautiful wedding card that @chunkymonkey gave me, and which her sister handmade! Here you go—be appropriately impressed:

LvvkkaN.jpg

This is awesome! What a great gift.

Sorry to hear that you were feeling lousy and had to take a break. Thank you for sharing your experience. I haven't visited a first aid station in the parks, but we almost went to one in Animal Kingdom when my son had something irritating his eye. We were near the exit and I think when we looked at where the station was, we decided to leave instead of walking back in.

I'm glad your family enjoyed Ohana so much and that you were feeling a bit better for the meal.

I usually find dessert the hardest part of the meal for not being jealous of my gluten/dairy-eating family, but the chef had managed to put something together for me, too...

jqUDnhN.jpg

That looks good.

I went on my first Disney cruise in early October and I was traveling with someone who had several food allergies, including dairy, soy and gluten. This made dessert time difficult, but the chefs were incredible. They consulted with her every night and were able to prepare some wonderful desserts, with fruit and apparently a delicious "rice cream".

::yes::

First, a quick life update. So...like...Happy New Year, everyone! :goodvibes As some of you may know from social media, we have a neat alternative to traditional New Years resolutions in our house.
What an amazing new years resolution tradition you all have. Sounds like something we all should be doing.

LvvkkaN.jpg
This is amazing. Did chunkysis make it or one of the twins? Whomever has some serious skills.

I started feeling really tired, nauseas, light-headed, weak in the limbs, etc. All typical Meghan-brain-isms, but at the worst of times! And I go from 0 to 60 almost immediately. I was okay and having fun...and then suddenly I wasn't.
Oh you poor thing. I can only fathom how rough this was for you, especially surrounded by all your family.

Because my step-father did NOT like it! :laughing:
cLGAkNO.jpg
Wow! That man really has no tolerance. Who doesn't like the mine train?

The upside of this whole experience is that now I get to give you all the low-down on the in-park first aid centres, in case any of you didn't realize they were an available resource, or for anyone who's just curious about what they're like! :thumbsup2
So glad to hear they took such good care of you. May we never have to use it, but good to know its there if we need it.

After a while I was starting to feel a little more stable, and I also knew I wouldn't be back to myself until I had something to eat. (I'm weird this way. Something's not right? Feed me!)
I am so the same way. Whenever I don't feel well I have a sudden urge to eat. Even if its my stomach. Makes absolutely no sense, but good to know i'm not alone

We arrived at the Poly, and my family was already there, hanging out and getting their drink on...

qzs3m9q.jpg
My kinda family !

I was also given an allergy-friendly alternative, with naked wings (par-tay! :hyper:) mixed veggies, and rice. My aunt was also given a separate salad because she can't eat red onions.

9W7QHYz.jpg
Looks great!

And you can kind of see from his face that he's in the middle of an "Ooh-AAH" moment:

mp9Tyqn.jpg
Too funny!!! I can totally hear the voice of the father from My Big Fat Greek Wedding overlaid on this picture. Looks like he was a happy man!

jqUDnhN.jpg

It doesn't look like too much, but it was soo good! Normally I would be offered sorbet (raspberry or mango, depending on the restaurant), or fresh fruit. It really means a lot when a chef puts in a little extra effort to combine and plate whatever they have available to make you feel like you're getting a special dessert, too.
This is awesome they did so much for you. I'm not gluten free and I'd be all over that!

Sometimes my brain condition can be very sneaky, and in the middle of the fun and games, it shows up to crash the party. I started feeling really tired, nauseas, light-headed, weak in the limbs, etc.

Josh's migraines are like that too. (I don't know if I ever told you, I think I mentioned it somewhere in an earlier TR, but he was hit by a car as a teen and suffered a bad head injury and the migraines are a lingering effect from that) I can usually tell because he gets cranky when they start coming on, but when they do come on he goes from okay to pretty much incapacitated quickly, and he usually needs to lay down for a few hours. Usually they aren't completely random (big changes in weather and pressure changes due to storms are some of the biggest causes), but we've had a few at Disney come on randomly luckily they've only been towards the end of the night each time, but we don't always get all the way back to the hotel before they fully hit and all the lights and noises in Disney are pretty awful when you have just a regular headache, I can't imagine how much worse it is for a migraine :faint:

I'm fairly introverted and private when I'm not feeling well, so I hoped to avoid making a scene or asking a CM for assistance.

Me too, I've had blister issues in the park before where I've needed to change or cut moleskin; and I always feel so awkward because if a CM walks by they always ask if I need medical attention because of how bandaged up my feet are :rotfl: Sometimes I change them in the bathroom to avoid worrying all the CM's walking by.

I was also given an allergy-friendly alternative, with naked wings (par-tay! :hyper:)

I actually liked the naked wings better!

Now we joke at home (or at least N and I do) because my step-father is very easily surprised/impressed, and he has a habit of exclaiming "Ooh-AAH!?" in his thick Greek accent whenever something catches him off-guard. He was quite taken by everything at the restaurant.

:rotfl: He looks very taken with the shrimp in that picture.

It doesn't look like too much, but it was soo good! Normally I would be offered sorbet (raspberry or mango, depending on the restaurant), or fresh fruit.

Josh got something similar, only his had a GF brownie in it (not sure if you had a brownie under that) and presumably his ice cream wasn't dairy free. But that boy is crazy and prefers sorbet and fruit to chocolate.

become a pilot (@Steppesister reminded me of her in this way,)

YES!! And I was just thinking the last few days, that I really need to get back into a regular study schedule. I'd like to take my written exam this Spring sometime.

she vowed to learn to do something new for every year she had left.

That is a phenomenal idea- I REALLY love this!

I have resolved to read one book for pleasure every month.

That's HUGE for a student. I wished I'd found the time to do that too. As is, I haven't read a book for pleasure in literally years.

I went to see The Greatest Showman by myself at the theatre last night, and I thought it was great!

I was wondering about this movie. I have been hearing some pretty good things about it.

Here you go—be appropriately impressed:

I am!

I was looking forward to finally riding it with her...but did I?

Y08DQ6g.gif

...No. No, I didn't. :sad2:

D'oh!!!

and then made their way to the Poly to lounge in the lounge

I love to lounge in lounges!

The upside of this whole experience is that now I get to give you all the low-down on the in-park first aid centres

Never been in one either and always wondered how they were.

I wasn't allowed to bring in outside food

It makes sense, since they are responsible for you while you're in their care, and also since they don't want anything strong-smelling brought in because others may have scent sensitivities.

Yes, I can see that. Both are valid reasons.

and I rested in the room while N went to the food court and brought back a personal gluten free pizza for us to share

Awww, that was super sweet of him!

since I wasn't the one to have to go order it, I wasn't going to complain

Best policy towards a kindness.

Cheese and yogurt are usually exceptions for me based on how I digest them. Sorry, I don't make the rules. My weird body does!)

No judging here.

That view never gets old. So pretty!

Mmmmm! Sangria, methinks.

(Side note: It used to be that every time I ordered a non-alcoholic drink, people would assume I was underage. Now, suddenly everyone assumes I'm pregnant. The joys of married life! But for realz...chill out, guys. I'm just quite literally alcohol intolerant. No baby yet. It's been 5 months.)

I don't know WHY people have to feel like they need to assume OR judge.

Just stop.

And you can kind of see from his face that he's in the middle of an "Ooh-AAH" moment:

:lmao:

We wouldn't be getting back to the Magic Kingdom, which meant that I'd be missing out on my opportunity to meet @KathyM2 and her daughter, Alexis.

Dang it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter