I don’t get the fascination with the wave !!!

disneynuts2

Earning My Ears
I don’t understand the attraction to the Wave in the Contemporary.
I listen to the Dis Unplugged bunch drool over this place.
I also read these boards and saw the rave reviews before my wife and I decided to try it last year. NEVER again. Okay the food was okay but I found nothing special.

What turned us off was the lack of atmosphere. When we go to Disney we want to be immersed in everything Disney. We went one morning last December. It sta out okay when we walked into the reception area and we saw a Christmas tree. So far so good.

We then walked into the dining area and were promptly seated by a nice young lady.

The atmosphere was terrible. Not only does it not have windows but it didn’t have one Christmas decoration anywhere AND not one thing on any of the walls to indicate we were in Disney. The room was just blah and disappointing. We mentioned it to the waitress and she looked around and said ” oh I never noticed “. I know it may be minor to some but we like to
eat In places that remind of where we are.

Like I said we were so disappointed that I cannot recall what we had. It was good but not
memorable. Just my rant. We all have our favorites.

Thank you

I agree it doesn't have much in the way of Disney ambience, but I have to say the meal I had there (the one time I've been in January 2019) was excellent. Plus, we were a group of about 8 or 9 adults and we had been in the MK from rope drop to fireworks, so a nice upscale late night meal was a great way to end the day. I'd definitely go back.

We have been for dinner a couple times and loved it. The food and the service were excellent. However, one thing that is consistent at Disney is the inconsistency of its restaurants. One trip, I had my best meal, and my worst meal, at the same restaurant (not The Wave). The Contemporary has a unique feel to it that is carried through The Wave as well. It feels like Disney to us because it feels like the Contemporary to us. It’s not a vibe that appeals to everyone. I think it’s one of those places you either love or you don’t, without much of a gray area, and neither decision is right or wrong. It’s all subjective.

We have been there several times and enjoyed the experiences. The lounge area is very relaxing and is such a great place to decompress from being in MK.

There was a rumor about a year or so ago that this restaurant would turn into an Incredibles themed steakhouse.

I also don't get the draw, but its nice to hear some folks want a break from the Disney Bubble. We might go back to try lunch or dinner. For the same price, I prefer breakfast at Ale and Compass.

I love restaurants with Disney theming, but I love The Wave too.

We went for our first time a couple years ago on our arrival day. We had arrived at Poly & and planned to grab something at Capt. Cook’s, but it was slammed. So, we booked a last minute ADR at The Wave and went. It was so calm and serene and just what we needed after a chaotic morning of travel. My kids were tired but not crabby overtired, so the quiet, relaxed vibe was great for our family to take a breath after traveling and before our villa was ready. It was like a reset before kicking the trip into high gear.

We stayed at BLT this year and ate another last minute meal there. It was excellent.

We love theming and lean towards very themed restaurants when we book ADRs, but we love the easy last minute ability at The Wave, as well as the food and relaxed/quiet atmosphere for a change of pace.

We are there for the first time last year, had lunch. We quite liked it - had a nice server and really enjoyed the food. We liked that food (at least) seemed lighter and healthier - was a nice break from typical theme park food.

I do get what the OP is saying about the decor as there wasn't much of "style" to the place. I can also see how some people might be good with that - especially locals who don't mind a break from more themed places

Overall we liked it and it can be a good option if you are looking for a bit of chill or down time - but I wouldn't put it on our "Must do Disney" list either

The Wave has always been our go-to for our departure breakfast. Their breakfast buffet is a hidden jewel. Hoping they keep the buffet in some fashion when they reopen. Wasn't to impressed by the lunch though.

This is an extremely petty complaint. I understand if you need to be roundhouse kicked in the face by Mickey Mouse the whole time you're at Disney, but not everyone needs that. Good food is good food and The Wave has very good food.

It wasn't great when I went. I actually kind of miss when it was huge arcade with a movie theater albeit a small one

We had a really good meal there in January and the service was excellent. I do agree that the dining room could use some more visual appeal, especially when the entry and the lounge off to the side are kind of neat and don't match the vibe in the dining room.

I don't how these things...
49362650891_2a6a745750.jpg

49363023746_6e08d54d7c.jpg

49362859437_332cbd5da6.jpg

...go with this dining room.
49362187638_ec000768cd.jpg

It's certainly not awful, but it's a disconnect for me. The decor certainly wouldn't keep me from eating here, but it doesn't make it a "must" as a vacationer since it doesn't have all of that Disney magic that you find at other spots. The DIS crew is local, so it may not irk them as much since they're not trying to make the most of limited vacation time.

This is an extremely petty complaint. I understand if you need to be roundhouse kicked in the face by Mickey Mouse the whole time you're at Disney, but not everyone needs that. Good food is good food and The Wave has very good food.

but the OP said to them "the food was okay but I found nothing special "

If you feel the food is very good then I think the Wave is a great option, but I can understand not "getting" the Wave if you don't think the food is all that good. At least to me, at Disney (and at Disney Prices) if the food is only "ok" the restaurant better make it up elsewhere (view, characters, theming, etc.)

I don’t mind a Disney restaurant that’s not super “in your face” (in fact, I kind of prefer that lol), but I’ve also found The Wave to just be meh. The ambiance is nice and it certainly has a good location, but my experience with the food was just meh. It wasn’t bad by any means, but it wasn’t amazing. I felt the same way about the service. I’d much rather head over to the GFC for breakfast or lunch, but I certainly know there are many who disagree with me!

Meh atmosphere and had a funny smell. Not anything like I expected based on all the glowing reviews.

I don't understand it either honestly. Been there twice. Both times were mediocre from service to food at best. Much rather spend my dollar elsewhere on property with so many options to choose from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!