I Don't Know Nothing 'Bout Birthin' No Babies!

bmahokie

Mouseketeer
That's because I'm a male, and God was smart enough to create women to be the child-bearers. Otherwise there wouldn't be many children born.

And I don't want to totally equate a Disney trip with child birth. But my wife and I were talking today, one day before our trip to Disney World, and we were both joking about the similarities. To wit:

You and the wife start talking about going back to Disney World because it's been a while. Just like you sometimes talk about having another child a while after one is born.

You're not sure if you can really afford it, but you start to get excited as you think about the joy a trip would bring. Like having a new child would do.

Finally (for us anyway) about nine months before you plan on the event happening you go ahead and take the steps necessary to put the plan in action. In other words, you've done some research and you make the reservations. I won't be graphic and equate to what happens nine months before childbirth.

At first all is pretty normal. You do some more research, checks out the resorts, the dining plans, maybe read up on what it's going to be like. You know, similar to buying the book "What To Expect When You're Expecting". You're excited, but it's not really "real" yet.

Finally, with about six months to go it becomes very real. You make ADR's and other 180 day in advance reservations. And it sinks in - this is really happening! Kinda' like when the beautiful expectant mother starts to show and everyone comments as to what is coming up.

The next few months are a blur - you plan, complications arise, you work through them, you thank your stars when the obstacles are overcome, all the while becoming more and more excited that the big day is actually coming. Sound familiar?

Finally as the big day approaches you make sure you have everything ready. You "nest" by laying out your clothes, double checking that you have everything you need for your big trip. You worry that even with all of your planning you haven't done enough, that something will go wrong. You're excited, but very anxious and nervous. I definitely remember feeling that the day before my children were born.

And finally the big day arrives! It's time for the blessed event to happen. There will probably be screw-ups: someone will forget to pack something, or the plane will get delayed, or there will be a complication with your reservation that will need fixing. How many childbirths go exactly as planned. But after going through all of that you are finally at WDW and ready to enjoy some wonderful days ahead. Now here's a difference - hopefully children will bring you that same joy and more - for decades and decades.

But things don't go as planned! You didn't really realize what WDW was going to be like! Rides are closed, the weather turns bad, you begin to fight with your family about the correct way to go about this journey. Everyone thought that just arriving at WDW was the goal, but then you realize the true journey is still to come. It's not exactly as you planned, but in many ways it's better. Because you adapt as you go along, which makes you appreciate what you are experiencing all the more. And you treasure those moments, those photographs, those memories, because you know these are very special days that you will remember for the rest of your life. The trip becomes YOUR family's trip, and you realize that will bring everyone closer together as you walk through the journey. Just like your child's first few days of life.

Or maybe I just made all of that up! But that's what my wife and I were talking about this morning. Tomorrow we return to WDW for the first time in seven years. Here's hoping it's 1/100 as wonderful as the first few days of our kids' lives, because that means it will have been an AWESOME trip.

:rotfl2:As a mama... Great comparison! I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

Very apt comparison, lol! We are 26 days away from our trip, and it very much feels like the countdown to DD's birth. I'm trying to decide whether I should start packing my suitcase or not :rotfl:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter