I fear we aren't rabid enough fans for D23, yet......

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
We purchased tickets the day they became available, and here we go.

The threads here have been great, although somewhat intimidating.
We will definitely NOT be lining up overnight for anything. I think it'll be a let's walk up and see what's available situation for us.

Anyone else attending that hasn't planned their itinerary down to the hour?

Our fallback is that we just check out merchandise, walk around the convention area and spend time at the parks.

We are big Disney fans (AP holders DL and WDW, DVC owners, cruisers) but this seems next level. I think we're in over our heads. It'll all be fun, cuz we make it fun. First timer jitters I guess.

I think you're planning it right. Especially, if it's your first time, you don't want to over plan, because then you might miss something you didn't anticipate. I did my first ComicCon and everyone was telling us we needed to line up here or there, and see this or that... but we did our own thing and had a fantastic time! We had a debrief after and decided on things we can and will do different in the future, but on the whole, we had a great time doing our own thing and discovering what was there. Have a fantastic time!

I think you have a good attitude and you'll be fine.

I'm on the other thread over planning because that's what I do.

I also have a very boring job so I love to distract myself planning trips during the day.

It sounds like for the most part you'll be able to line up less than an hour before most of the smaller panels.

Don't be put off by all the overnight lines, I think those will mainly be for the exclusive merchandise and the big 4 panels: the Legends Ceremony, Parks and Resorts, Animation and Live Action.

I might do a little planning though and at least glance through all the descriptions of the panels and maybe keep a few in mind that you might want to see.

We purchased tickets the day they became available, and here we go.

The threads here have been great, although somewhat intimidating.
We will definitely NOT be lining up overnight for anything. I think it'll be a let's walk up and see what's available situation for us.

Anyone else attending that hasn't planned their itinerary down to the hour?

Our fallback is that we just check out merchandise, walk around the convention area and spend time at the parks.

We are big Disney fans (AP holders DL and WDW, DVC owners, cruisers) but this seems next level. I think we're in over our heads. It'll all be fun, cuz we make it fun. First timer jitters I guess.

Do it however you want to do it! I'm sure you will have a great time. I'm the same as @OhioStateBuckeye. I overplan because that's who I am as a person.

One thing I'll suggest, at least basing on last time. The line to even get in takes hours. That is always what people complain about. So either get there a few hours before opening or a few hours after opening. Last year on the first day my friend lined up at 7am and didn't get inside until 11am.

@GeneralTso I don't think the other thread is meant to scare, but rather give an idea of what to expect. :thumbsup2 The Expos aren't everyone's cup of tea and I see plenty of over-expectations leading to a horrible experience. Expecting do everything or banking everything on one exclusive item (the OuaT dolls in 2015, for example) can result in anxiety and stress.

This will be my fourth Expo and each one is different, but there are constants - a lot of people, a lot of lines, a shortage of merchandise, frayed tempers. As long as you go into it with realistic expectations, I think it can be a fun experience. Our first expo was done with NO prep and we still had a blast. We obviously kept coming back.

But you also need to remember there are a lot of people that do and will line up for hours for everything (panels, shopping). Temper the expectations and it will be fun.

Please report how it goes! We thought about doing it this year, but backed out because of what you are talking about. I wasn't sure it was for us, even though we are big Disney addicts/fans. If we had gone, it would be like you are doing it, so I'm very interested in hearing your experience!

HOURS to get in? Whoa.. We will most definitely be in the go in much later crowd. Of course, we aren't rope drop people either, so that's how we roll :P

And I can't even with "frayed tempers"---that's so silly to me. It's Disney for gawd sake. It's FUN. It's supposed to be a great time. When I see people lose it I shake my head. How they let themselves escalate to that level over Disney truly defies logic (for me).

HOURS to get in? Whoa.. We will most definitely be in the go in much later crowd. Of course, we aren't rope drop people either, so that's how we roll :P

And I can't even with "frayed tempers"---that's so silly to me. It's Disney for gawd sake. It's FUN. It's supposed to be a great time. When I see people lose it I shake my head. How they let themselves escalate to that level over Disney truly defies logic (for me).
I've noticed that the people who have a hard time with D23 are the hard core park goers who are used to being able to stay long enough to do and see "everything." It's just not possible in a convention setting. If you go in with the mindset that you will see and experience something unique, you'll get a lot more out of it.

I think you have the right attitude, but you WILL have to wait in lines no matter what, even to get in the building. For instance, last time the Dream Store had a two hour wait pretty much constantly, and that was after getting into the building.
Some of the other stores were an hour or less like the D23 store and Imagineering.
I would plan on going to a couple panels but not the main hall shows like animation or live action. Those you will need to wait for 3+ hours at the minimum.
All that being said there's a lot to see and do and once you're in the building you will find plenty to do. I guess I just wanted to note that unless you really just plan on walking around you cannot avoid waiting in lines.

In 2011 and 2013, I arrived early every day to the Expo. Like 6AM or close to it. No overnights. And that worked fine.

In 2015 I decided I did not need to arrive early on Day #1 since the first thing of strong interest was the Animated films session in the afternoon. BAD DECISION! It was like 98 degrees out that day. We waited in the sun for 2 1/2 hours. Then when they tried to move our line to get into the ACC they did a poor job and the line disintegrated. People who just showed up and were at "the back" of our line got to the ACC entrance before us. I will never do that again. Every day I will arrive at 6AM. It is cool outside and you get into the ACC much more quickly. Totally worth it.

You do not have to be a rabid fan. Just interested in Disney and not wanting to wait in long lines in the sun.

:wizard:

I think you have the right idea. This will be my first D23, but I've been to other conventions. I try not to over-plan for cons because if I do and I don't get to see something I had my heart set on, it's so disappointing. With only a loose plan, it gives you more freedom to enjoy the little things a lot of people miss. I have exactly 1 large panel I have my heart set on and will be trying to attend that. Otherwise, I'll see whatever comes up and relax. Sometimes just doing the open exhibits is more fun than panels, too.

Much depends on what your priorities are. This is my fourth, so I am pretty used to everything. I do wait in many lines, because for me, it is worth it. NOT for stores, but for some of the large panels. Arriving before 7 (unless Hall E fills up earlier) gets you to the inside basement area, which is pretty good. Bathrooms, snack stand, climate control. (Note: large panels may require arrival by 2-5 am)

Open floor pavilions are very good (but sometimes have lines as well of course). Smaller panels are usually excellent. I think many offered in the Arena will not be THAT hard to get into, depending if they are seating the whole venue and not just one section.

The first time, it is a bit to get used to, but have a good time. When people say "tempers flare", it is about the usual stuff, line cutting, seat saving, loading rooms so late that standbys do not get in despite available seats, stuff like that. Otherwise, people are so interesting to meet on the lines, and the costumes are fun, many dress up. The hardest thing for me, is the food challenge, finding time to eat, or food to eat. (my secret are packs of PB on crackers)

Some people go in with totally unrealistic expectations, e.g. "I'm going to see/buy everything I want!," and then are angry, disappointed, and bitter when those expectations aren't met.
We always go in with the following expectations:
1. Expect to wait in a lot of lines: for food, shopping, restrooms, presentations, etc.
2. Expect to meet a lot of really fun people in these lines. Expo attendees come from all over the world and bring their own Disney stories and experience to share. Many have questions about what it is like to visit DLR. The time passes quickly and you will make many new friends. (Expect to be waving at familiar faces by Sunday.)
3. Expect to take care of your own needs. D23 employees and the convention center employees will be overwhelmed, so we don't expect them to be able to help us. (If they can, great. But we don't expect it.) Instead, we bring water, heathy snacks, books, phone chargers, etc. so that we won't be scrambling more than necessary.
4.Expect to have fun, no matter what happens. Whether things go as planned or take a left, fun is always somewhere to be had at Expo.

Our expectations list has held up through 3 previous Expos. Here's hoping it still holds up this July!

I'm not even sure what the convention even is. I've seen posts about it for years but still still don't know.

Yes. I have no clue - What exactly is it? What is it for? What goes on there? etc?
The D23 Expo is a convention for Disney fans. Disney is of course huge. So it includes parks, live action films, animated films, TV shows, kids shows, video games, collectibles, and lots of other things.

They have an open show flow with booths where you can meet artists, sometimes the movie/TV actors, writes, imagineers, etc.

They have sessions in separate rooms where you can attend on, for example, what new things are coming to the Disney parks around the world. They annoucne new things at the Expo that have never been announced in public before.

Last Expo they introduced the cast for the new Star Wars movie. Harrison Ford came out. This show Mark Hamill will be there. They showed preview footage from the movie for the first time.

They talk about films that are a few years out.

You get insight on the people, efforts, challenges behind all these things. Last Expo they had a 20 yr anniversary for Aladdin. They had the voice actors and the animators who created the Aladdin movie. They talked on stage about their experiences making the movie. Working with Robin Williams. Stuff like that.

Go to the D23 website for more info on the Expo. https://d23.com/d23-expo/

We aren't going to the expo but will be in the park July 17 & 18, Monday & Tuesday. Does it go without saying that the crowds will be extra big those two days after the Expo? Should we consider going another time?

We aren't going to the expo but will be in the park July 17 & 18, Monday & Tuesday. Does it go without saying that the crowds will be extra big those two days after the Expo? Should we consider going another time?
Yes and no. Equal or larger contributors to crowds those days is Disneyland's Birthday (July 17) and return of Fantasmic! after a year and a half of being down. I suspect it will bump in crowds a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter