I feel so guilty. . .

littleaussie

I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25
I have a Symphony cruise booked for June for myself and my 2 teen daughters. It is a graduation present for my oldest.

My 4 year old is not going. He’s wild and crazy and this trip is about my oldest and doing fun stuff.

He went on a Disney cruise when he was 2 and I have plans to take him to WDW next January but I feel sort of guilty he’s not coming with.

But he will enjoy grandpa’s farm while we are gone so there’s that. I don’t know why I feel so bad. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like you have special time with your older daughters, and special time planned with your 4 year old. (And if his grandpa is anything like our kids grandparents, then he'll get nice and spoiled when staying with him). I think "guilt" is a mom's middle name, but you have precious time with all your children. Nothing wrong with separating the time....especially with a bit of an age gap. Easy to say, but try and put the guilt away. You sound like a wonderful parent.

I don’t know why I feel so bad. 🤷‍♂️

Don't! - Well, I can't say to just turn off your feelings, but try to think of it this way:

He'll have way more fun with Grandpa, you'll have way more fun on the cruise without worrying about his safety/schedule/behavior, and your DDs will have way more fun actually having your attention.

He'll get his turn in January, and that's OK!

You feel bad because you're a mom. You're not doing anything wrong.

A couple years ago, my oldest DD requested (and got) a trip to Italy for her college graduation. She wanted me to go, and she didn't care which siblings. I took my younger DD (then 14), but not my youngest DS (then 11). I knew that, if he went, HE would become the focus of the trip. I also pointed out to him that he was a picky eater, and I wasn't investing all that money in a trip abroad, only for him to eat chicken nuggets and mac and cheese the whole time.

Well, time marches on--we did a family trip to Europe in 2018 (me, DH, both DD's, younger son), We did London, Paris, Umbria, and Rome--and DS had a great time. He tried plenty of new foods and saw some amazing sights. I'm glad he got to go--and I'm not sorry I left him home for the first trip.

You, too, will have more fun times with your youngest. The time will come when your older children won't have so much time for you in their lives.:( That's just how it goes. How nice for you to be able to focus on them now.

Last edited:

We're taking an adult trip, just my husband and I, without my daughter for the first time and I am also feeling the guilt! My husband not so much. I think its common for moms to have "mom guilt" and I'm just pushing through it!

In August, my husband and I will be going on the Harmony of the Seas. My 9 year old will be at sleep away camp and my 3 year old will be with my grandparents. As the 3 year old says she will be eating ice cream every day while we are gone. Honestly go have fun try not to feel too bad. We did a similar trip last year on the Freedom of the Seas. I felt guilty until I stepped on the ship and then I just enjoyed the time away.

I have a Symphony cruise booked for June for myself and my 2 teen daughters. It is a graduation present for my oldest.

My 4 year old is not going. He’s wild and crazy and this trip is about my oldest and doing fun stuff.

He went on a Disney cruise when he was 2 and I have plans to take him to WDW next January but I feel sort of guilty he’s not coming with.

But he will enjoy grandpa’s farm while we are gone so there’s that. I don’t know why I feel so bad. 🤷‍♂️
Aww, do your best not to feel guilty! He will have a blast with grandpa AND get to go to WDW next year too. I think you are making a great choice since there is such a large age gap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!