I Find It Hard to be Friendly with People With Opposing Views....

Status
Not open for further replies.

My BIL is a bigot and has a LOT of opinions I do not agree with in any way. When we are around each other, we know what topics are off limits and stay polite.

It's unlikely I'd want to be friends with somebody who was openly hostile to my core beliefs, but the hostility would come from them, not me. I've got lots of (albeit) casual friends that disagree with me about practically everything.

It depends on what the views are. I won't be friends with people who are racist or discriminatory against people who are different from them, for example, and there are a few other viewpoints that are sticking points for me as well. But racism/discrimination is a big one, and I've cut several friends and relatives completely out of my life because of it.

It depends on what the views are. I won't be friends with people who are racist or discriminatory against people who are different from them, for example, and there are a few other viewpoints that are sticking points for me as well. But racism/discrimination is a big one, and I've cut several friends and relatives completely out of my life because of it.
:scratchin You're right - that is bad. I wasn't thinking along those lines.

I'm ok with it. One of my best friends is completely opposite me politically. We see each other's facebook opinions/likes on the political spectrum but never discuss it in person ;)

I can be friendly to anybody!!!
UNTIL they make their 'opposing views' an issue.

I have a problem when anyone feels the need to push their views on others.
I have a problem when anyone used their 'job', their social circles, etc... as a platform to push their views on a captive audience.

No double standard here...
Doesn't matter which side of any particular polarizing viewpoint.

on important things....

You?
I disagree with lots of various people...even extended family...on various topics (including important topics). From my experience, it is often quite difficult to get along with people who disagree with me when the other person is openly hostile and resorts to finger pointing and name calling. Or when the other person lumps me in with everybody in "that group" of people (pick whichever group it is, the topic itself doesn't really matter). Or when the person starts jumping to conclusions and labeling me things that do not apply to me. Or when the person just sees red and flips out and has the adult equivalent of a temper tantrum.

That's when I give the person some space for him/her to chill out and calm down. Then we resume a normal conversation about a totally different topic.

There are a couple of people in my extended family like this who are very very passionate about certain topics. We've all learned just to avoid discussing those topics. There are plenty of other things to talk about and we are still able to enjoy each other's company and have a nice time.

I think it's actually pretty easy to get along with people who disagree with you if you approach them with an attitude of mutual love and respect. It is possible to still enjoy the other person's company yet NOT agree with them on every single topic or issue that is important to you. But if that person is screaming and yelling in your face? Well yes, that would definitely make it almost impossible to be around the person at all.

Besides, if all you do is hang out with people who are exactly like you, that can get awfully boring sometimes. Sometimes engaging in healthy & respectful debate with somebody who disagrees with you can be good for you. You might learn something from the other person. It's very helpful to understand another person's point of view. You might learn that you have a lot more in common with the person than you realize.

Depends upon what the view is. If they're bigots, we're not going to be friends and I'm only going to be around them at all when required. Same holds true if they lack compassion for others or basic humanity. On the other end of the spectrum If they think Pumpkin Pie is better than Pecan well I can live with that.

Last edited:
I could not be friends with, or act friendly toward, someone who is racist or treats others badly, etc. But not acting in a friendly manner just because someone has a different opinion on big issues? I can't wrap my head around living that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter