I give up - going to pack it in for now

mjr0483

DIS Veteran
I know Disney World is like Pizza. When it's good, it's good and when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

But Disney World costs way more than a pizza.

I had an April trip, rescheduled to July, and just received the sorry we canceled your plans email.
One part of me wants to still try to go, but the realist in me is saying, just pack it in. It's just not worth it.
With the laundry list of things closed and not knowing what kind of luck you will need to get a reservation along with getting dining reservations.
As if planning a Disney World trip wasn't stressful enough, now this?

Oh and to wear a mask all day in Orlando July heat. That alone should be a pass.
I know there are people still itching to go and will enjoy the cheapened experience, but I think I am done until this looks more like the old normal, no matter how long that takes.

No water parks
No EMH
No Park Hopping
Reduced Hours
No Parades
No Fireworks
No shows
No Fast Pass+ (Well this one might actually be a good thing)
Reduced transportation

I know Disney World is like Pizza. When it's good, it's good and when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

I had an April trip, rescheduled to July, and just received the sorry we canceled your plans email.
One part of me wants to still try to go, but the realist in me is saying, just pack it in. It's just not worth it.
With the laundry list of things closed and not knowing what kind of luck you will need to get a reservation along with getting dining reservations.

Oh and to wear a mask all day in Orlando July heat. That alone should be a pass.
I know there are people still itching to go and will enjoy the cheapened experience, but I think I am done until this looks more like the old normal, no matter how long that takes.

No water parks
No EMH
No Park Hopping
Reduced Hours
No Parades
No Fireworks
No shows
Reduced transportation
You are correct. It is just not worth it.

They really aren't making it easy. I can only imagine it getting worse when their IT people release the changes to MDE to accommodate these new rules. People trying to plan their July trips are going to be pulling their hair out. And for what, an expensive trip with a reduction in product and lets not forget the equatorial heat.... My next trip is late September and I'm getting anxious about the planning of it. Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Yep, we had already canceled our August trip anticipating that the Covid Disney Experience wasn't going to work for us. Given yesterday's news I am very happy we did cancel, but very sad we aren't going.

Last edited:

I agree and I am very disappointed in Disney's decision to take away free dinning. I have now re-booked twice and had the COVID free dinning offer, it is crazy that all of a sudden they are taking away that component. I mean everyone still has to eat while they are there, I don't understand the decision. Also if you book the free dinning it is never really free, usually you can get your room cheaper without the package so now you are stuck with the package price without the dinning?? I really wanted to go and was happy with a limited experience, but it is like they have thrown customer service out the window with this new situation. I also think these boards need to understand that we need a place to vent our frustrations and not just pretend that this is all so positive. Obviously, there are worse problems in the world, but lots of people have spent hours planning their vacations, purchased plane tickets, arranged for pet sitters, vacation time etc and it is very difficult and disappointing.

I agree and I am very disappointed in Disney's decision to take away free dinning. I have now re-booked twice and had the COVID free dinning offer, it is crazy that all of a sudden they are taking away that component. I mean everyone still has to eat while they are there, I don't understand the decision. Also if you book the free dinning it is never really free, usually you can get your room cheaper without the package so now you are stuck with the package price without the dinning?? I really wanted to go and was happy with a limited experience, but it is like they have thrown customer service out the window with this new situation.

yeah, I really don't understand why they are taking away the free dining if they are still going to have ADRs available. Unless that is going to change, too. Maybe go to single serve boxed meals.

This is so depressing to me. At least I had my free dining and now that is gone. At the point I am not sure what reasons there are to actually go. I wonder what other things they are going to end up cancelling. I am sure some of the rides will end up being closed as well.

No water parks
No EMH
No Park Hopping
Reduced Hours
No Parades
No Fireworks
No shows
Reduced transportation
You forgot , no meet and greets. This is probably our deal breaker. It's our 3 year old's 4th birthday when we were going to go. She wanted to do BBB, eat at CRT and see Elsa and Ana. I'm not spending $350 to eat at CRT if the princesses have masks on. We are booked for November and I'm sure some restrictions will be lifted but it's too much of a gamble. We Just booked another vacation for that week and will be cancelling Disney and going back in a couple years.

This is so depressing to me. At least I had my free dining and now that is gone. At the point I am not sure what reasons there are to actually go. I wonder what other things they are going to end up cancelling. I am sure some of the rides will end up being closed as well.
Why is the free dining gone?

They are cancelling all Fp’s Adr’s and all dining packages. They’re saying it’s to implement their new reservation system. Your choice as to whether to believe that’s the real reason or not. They sent out emails starting last night as well as posting it on DPG.
OMG! They aren't giving a discount at all then? Not even 15% off rack rate or anything?

Yeah, getting rid of my free dining was really the last straw. With every new change, I would think positively and try to justify the cost of our August vacation. When I saw that all my hard earned deluxe dining reservations were going to be cancelled along with my free dining, I gave up. The dining is definitely part of the whole Disney experience for me. Not to mention, paying for four adults on Disney food without free dining is a no-go for me.

Last year at the end of March, beginning of April is when we were last at Disney. And it was a trip that turned out to be probably in the top three trips we have had. It was so wonderful, for the most part that I actually got a sense that I could not be coming back anytime soon and I was heading out on a high note. That really did go through my mind. Strange but true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter