I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading about the lines today for Hagrid's Motorbike and I'm worried DS will melt down. Maybe we'll skip it tomorrow and hit IOA first thing Wednesday and Thursday.
Boo! I hope you get the chance to ride it. My DS was ready to bale after we waited an 1 hr 30 min and only had about 10-15 min before we were on. He was hangry and thought he was going to miss his morning bacon at The Kitchen.

Cancelled my Amex Plat Biz today. I am afraid that I will now be in pop up purgatory since I had it only a year. But the AF has been sitting there for a couple weeks at $595 and paying that now (it was due the 31st) was just too much. I can live in a denial bubble and excuse a lot of AF’s but to pay so much up front for a credit card I don’t really use Is crazy. I just closed it via chat. I was afraid if I called for retention I might cave and take a crappy offer. So anyway I have some regret but seriously $595 is a lot!!!

Last edited:
Cancelled my Amex Plat Biz today. I am afraid that I will now be in pop up purgatory since I had it only a year. But the AF has been sitting there for a couple weeks at $595 and paying that now (it was due the 31st) was just too much. I can live in a denial bubble and excuse a lot of AF’s but to pay so much front for a credit card I don’t really use Is crazy. I just closed it via chat. I was afraid if I called for retention I might cave and take a crappy offer. So anyway I have some regret but seriously $595 is a lot!!!

In the past two years or so, I have closed at least 3 and maybe 4 AmEx cards (I can only recall 3 at the moment but I feel like I'm forgetting one, and I don't have my spreadsheet handy) after one year and during that same time have been approved for at least that many new cards, without ever getting the pop-up. I do have some AF cards that I have kept for more than one year, and some cards that I put a lot of spend on but also some cards that I put very little spend on (I try to put something on every card every month but it might just be a recurring Netflix fee). I also have a long history with AmEx (I have one card that's been open since 2006).

Of course, my luck could have run out and I just don't know it yet because I haven't applied for a new AmEx card for awhile. But my sense is that if you keep some (AF?) cards more than a year and also put some (moderate?) amount of spend on at least some cards, it's possible to avoid the pop-up even with canceling cards after one year.

Totally off topic but a wild (and sad) story out of WDW tonight:

There is a “news article” on the WDW news site that shall not be named:
UPDATE: According to reports by the Orlando Sentinel, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office has deemed the ferry boat incident that took place around 7:00 PM on Seven Seas Lagoon an apparent suicide attempt.
The 56-year-old woman, whose name has not been disclosed by officials, boarded the ferry boat alongside people she knew. She then intentionally jumped into the lagoon before being rescued and transported to a hospital for treatment and further evaluation.

What's the shortest trip you would take if you had "spent" enough miles to travel in first class halfway around the world?

I'm trying to decide what to do if my desired return window never opens! I think I'd just cancel the whole thing! I didn't realize that leaving on November 15 is going to put my desired return over Thanksgiving weekend. Getting home might be trickier than I thought.

Dh just got done looking through our entire paper shredder because I may have shredded a target gift card. Turns out it still has $81 left. Luckily, he got all of the pieces to put it back together and on our account. My bad...

Also, idk if any of you remember me ordering a Harry Potter backpack from pottery barn kids. The zippers have all become corroded and I now have to buy a new backpack. I don’t think I’ll be buying from them again. I haven’t even had it for a year.

Last edited:

We have to make a $375 return on our Amex buz Green. We are still in the MSR period but have the sub already. I just put a new $450 charge on there so we should be good yes?

Also thanks for the raise tip @CODisFan neither my husband nor I have used raise before so we each got 10% if it processes. How long does it usually take to receive?

We have to make a $375 return on our Amex buz Green. We are still in the MSR period but have the sub already. I just put a new $450 charge on there so we should be good yes?

Also thanks for the raise tip @CODisFan neither my husband nor I have used raise before so we each got 10% if it processes. How long does it usually take to receive?
Do you mean how long to receive the actual gift cards? What did you buy? Were they eGCs? They should be available immediately or within 6-8 hours in my experience at the worst.

@SouthFayetteFan yep e-giftcards! Both purchasss it just said something like “Thanks, we will review your order” and no email or GC yet (its only been like 3 hours).
It's been a long time since I placed my first order so it might be longer that first time. I'm also not a big fan of using their app so I'm used to the desktop view, lol!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

The time is upon us... I love Credit Cards v3.0 is now here!!!
Please jump over there and make sure to "watch" that thread to keep up going forward! If you posted anything here recently, you may want to copy and paste it over there to ensure a response. I've sent a PM to @WebmasterDoc and he likely will close this thread in the coming days!

This thread has served us well for 2019. We will use v3.0 for 2020! Happy (early) New Year DISchurners friends!!

Cancelled my Amex Plat Biz today. I am afraid that I will now be in pop up purgatory since I had it only a year. But the AF has been sitting there for a couple weeks at $595 and paying that now (it was due the 31st) was just too much. I can live in a denial bubble and excuse a lot of AF’s but to pay so much up front for a credit card I don’t really use Is crazy. I just closed it via chat. I was afraid if I called for retention I might cave and take a crappy offer. So anyway I have some regret but seriously $595 is a lot!!!
This is exactly why I didn't call for a retention offer on my personal plat. I really was afraid they'd offer me something and I'd cave and keep it. But then I'd be locked into a $550 AF. No thanks. I never used the card and there is no way I could justify that AF. Maybe if we ever get our Centurion Lounge....Maybe...!

Dh just got done looking through our entire paper shredder because I may have shredded a target gift card. Turns out it still has $81 left. Luckily, he got all of the pieces to put it back together and on our account. My bad...

Also, idk if any of you remember me ordering a Harry Potter backpack from pottery barn kids. The zippers have all become corroded and I now have to buy a new backpack. I don’t think I’ll be buying from them again. I haven’t even had it for a year.
Wow, good job DH!

I got the same backpack and DS has many from them from his elementary school early years that still look brand new. Did you try contacting PB for a replacement?

Totally off topic but a wild (and sad) story out of WDW tonight:

There is a “news article” on the WDW news site that shall not be named:
UPDATE: According to reports by the Orlando Sentinel, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office has deemed the ferry boat incident that took place around 7:00 PM on Seven Seas Lagoon an apparent suicide attempt.
The 56-year-old woman, whose name has not been disclosed by officials, boarded the ferry boat alongside people she knew. She then intentionally jumped into the lagoon before being rescued and transported to a hospital for treatment and further evaluation.
Yowza, reminds me of the TSA agent that jumped at MCO. I hope she gets the help she needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!