I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any bonus URs you earned due to meeting a MSR are not taxable

It you had support points... look back at your statements UR support points will be shown in the upper right corner of the statement in the UR summary
I got my dad to sign up to a chase UR card I think I got 10k points ? something like that I'm not sure. I guess I put in other income 100$? CHASE REFFERAL?

We have never stayed offsite at WDW before. Can someone tell me how to link my Swan reservation to MDE so I can make FP ressies? I tried putting in just the last 7 digits, the 10 digits, 00+the last 7 but nothing seems to be work.

No problem.

When you call into Amex (following the guide on DISchurners), the Amex rep may ask if you're already an Amex member or have other Amex cards, they may ask you for one of your card numbers to access your account. Don't do this. Yes, you are a cardmember, but no you don't have any of your card information handy right now. The Amex rep wants to use your account information to help you pre-fill your Biz Plat application, but it'll also give them access to "eyes" on your account (and all the cards you have open). Just say you don't have that card information right now, and they'll start a new application for you. You'll provide them with the same personal, financial, and business information you'd normally provide on the online application.

Getting approved for a personal Plat should not preclude you from getting approved for a Biz Plat a few days later under any of Amex's current rules or guidelines.

If you've been a longtime customer of Amex, Amex rarely ever conducts a hard pull/inquiry on new card applications. It's been almost 2 years since Amex conducted a hard pull on me for a new card application, and I've opened about a dozen Amex cards since then.

Chase is not particularly inquiry sensitive anyway but without a hard pull, Chase will not know you've even applied for new cards.

Here's why. Assuming Amex did not do a hard pull on your personal Plat app, Chase will not know you've applied for a new card. Amex does not typically report a new personal card to your personal credit report until the close of its second statement, 1-2 months from now (when it will officially count against 5/24). Amex does not report its biz cards to your personal credit report, so without a hard pull, Chase does not know you applied for a new card and will never see the biz Plat on your credit report (that's why it won't count against 5/24).
Just spoke with Jennifer and I was instantly approved :bounce::cool1:! Can't believe I did this! This is my boldest churning move to date (just over a year churning). Well maybe my boldest ;) (see reddit for other possible bold moves).

Edited to add: she thanked me for being a valuable customer of AmEx since 2010 (which is either when I got my personal gold card or dh added me as an AU to his AmEx plat -- can't recall which), but she seemed to know my history.

Last edited:

I'm not sure it makes sense to self report the referral bonus if Chase doesn't send a 1099. I think an argument can be made that it's not really income. If chase sends the 1099, the minimal tax makes it not worth fighting, but if they don't send one and the IRS makes an issue of it, I doubt there will be a penalty, you'll probably just have to pay the extra $2.50 (LOL) in taxes. Any accountants want to chime in?

I got my dad to sign up to a chase UR card I think I got 10k points ? something like that I'm not sure. I guess I put in other income 100$? CHASE REFFERAL?
Don't bother contacting Chase. When it comes to these 1099s for referrals the banks don't talk to anyone, you simply have to wait it out for the next couple months. Last year Chase only sent for >$600 of referrals, but if you decide not to report something under it's your gamble on if Chase will decide to report it or not this year as they do have the option.

If anyone has IHG referral points Chase is supposedly claiming they are worth 1cpp link. The poster says they aren't worth that, personally I have no idea as I don't have that currency. It's possible Chase will revise this or people who disagree will have to read up on how to dispute the value of a 1099 when filing their taxes.

Right, because the cap on supportal bonuses on Amex MR earning cards is 55k MR total per calendar year, regardless of how much each individual supportal bonus is worth on each card. So on the Biz Gold, you’ll only get 2 supportals at the full 25k MR, then the next click will only earn 5k MR. On the BBP, that’s 3x15 MR = 45k MR, leaving an only 10k MR cap for a final click. So to avoid getting short changed on the last click, you’d need to switch your supportal link to a fresh card with the next highest supportal bonus to get the full amount of that bonus.

i think its 55k so that Amex does not need to give u a 1099... but at this point...

Don't worry, the Marriott card universe is one of the most confusing systems in the churning world right now. You're not alone.

First off you probably want to take a step back and look at the different cards out there and understand which are Chase and which are AmEx. You seem to have a couple of the names turned around there in your post which probably isn't helping matters. (I.e the Boundless is a Chase Visa card, has a $95 AF, and doesn't have a $300 statement credit, 50k FNC, or lounge access. It sounds like you are describing the AmEx Brilliant there)

AmEx is the company with lifetime bonus language, Chase allows you to be eligible again after 24 months. And then Marriott themselves have a hand in the convoluted matrix that determines card eligiblity based on holding other cards in the universe.

Two links for you to start with, one has a chart that may help determine eligiblity for the card(s) you want -
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/eligibility-chart-marriott-bonvoy-cards/
Two, starts a conversation regarding said chart we had last November -
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-61276222
Don't go just off any charts out there. Use them as a stepping off point and then double check the terms of the card you want to confirm.

I'd start with a list of current and previous Marriott and SPG cards you've had, when you received their bonus and when they were closed. Working off that list you can determine what you are each eligible for and then map out a path that fits your goals. (What's highest priority? Lots of points for a redemption, ongoing FNC, other perks like status, etc etc. Be good to rank that in relation to an upcoming goal)

AmEx has two cards with the potential for the most sign up points but also higher AFs. Chase has two cards but the Bold card comes with a bunch of restrictions and a much lower sign up bonus potential due to the no AF. And since no AF there is no FNC with it and has a lower earning rate on spend. It's almost like Chase really only has one CC since you can't hold both at the same time.

If this helps rather than hurts, here is the list of all Marriott cards both active and discontinued.
https://credit-cards.marriott.com/
This is helpful....I think:-). Yes, I have the Brilliant. I'm going to consult the charts, see what we can qualify for in terms of bonuses, and go with any business cards first. I am torn on the high fee cards; we definitely use the credits, and the lounge access. But--if I can get something more valuable points-wise and lounge access, and we aren't planning a trip specifically to try to really maximize those 50k free nights, it gets to be harder to figure out. This feels harder than it should be:-)))

I wonder if the BBP’s supportal bonus will also drop back down to 10k MR? The BBP’s 15k MR/5k MSR/3 months supportal offer is set to end on 1/29/20.

Went for the BBP for DH to max out my Gold Biz support. He doesn't have a no AF MR card, so think this will be good long term. Just in time since my Gold Biz AF posted today. Called once for retention offers but got bupkis. Will try again, but looking at the DPs, doesn't look like there's anything good enough to offset the $295 AF.

My Hilton Biz is coming up for renewal too and on the chopping block. Which is why I'm really tempted to take the plat retention even if it doesn't get better than 20k/$3000 spend. So far I've been able to use all the credits, so can offset the AF. Thinking I need to decide on the retention offer before I cancel the Gold Biz in case that causes it to go down.

So hard to decide. Wish I knew how much canceling cards affects the pop-up.

Went for the BBP for DH to max out my Gold Biz support. He doesn't have a no AF MR card, so think this will be good long term. Just in time since my Gold Biz AF posted today. Called once for retention offers but got bupkis. Will try again, but looking at the DPs, doesn't look like there's anything good enough to offset the $295 AF.

My Hilton Biz is coming up for renewal too and on the chopping block. Which is why I'm really tempted to take the plat retention even if it doesn't get better than 20k/$3000 spend. So far I've been able to use all the credits, so can offset the AF. Thinking I need to decide on the retention offer before I cancel the Gold Biz in case that causes it to go down.

Not sure if it helps, but I'm currently planning on canceling my Hilton biz when it comes up for renewal. The only feature that I got out of it was the FNC for paying our property taxes with it last November. My Aspire renewed in December and I already paid the AF -- that one is a keeper for me. If I can figure out how to make good use of the 2 FNCs this year I might consider keeping the Hilton biz and paying taxes on it next year to get the FNC again.

If anyone has IHG referral points Chase is supposedly claiming they are worth 1cpp link. The poster says they aren't worth that, personally I have no idea as I don't have that currency. It's possible Chase will revise this or people who disagree will have to read up on how to dispute the value of a 1099 when filing their taxes.

I would say I hit that value in summer when I redeem 50K per night for an ocean front hotel that combined with tax is over $500 per night. That same hotel is about $80 for tonight so, if I redeemed those same points I'd get less than 2/10th's of a cent. Needless to say I wouldn't do that. If I go across the value in a non resort hotel, I would value the points at more like 5/10's of a cent.

IHG values their own points similarly when they sell them. The more you buy the closer you get to that 1/2 cent value when they have a sale. When you do points and cash, you can pay as high as 7/10th's of a cent, but usually it's more like 6.25/10ths of a cent per point. I've actually found cases where they were under 5/10ths, but not recently.

The proof is really in the actual redemption.

Just spoke with Jennifer and I was instantly approved :bounce::cool1:! Can't believe I did this! This is my boldest churning move to date (just over a year churning). Well maybe my boldest ;) (see reddit for other possible bold moves).

Edited to add: she thanked me for being a valuable customer of AmEx since 2010 (which is either when I got my personal gold card or dh added me as an AU to his AmEx plat -- can't recall which), but she seemed to know my history.

I didn't see a dance party congrats message yet, so...
party:party:party:party:party:party:

Congratulations!

:cheer2: :cool1:party::cool1::cheer2:

Maybe they have caller ID?

I think we got the Biz Gold around the same time last year (AF glitch time?) since my AF just posted too. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to hold onto mine to sign DH up for something through my card, for the 25K support (with the Schwab Plat that's worth $312 to me so the AF would be offset). He's already had the Biz Plat, BGR, and Biz Green (all 3 have been canceled in the past 12 months), and also has the BBP (which I think is a great call for your DH!). I've been contemplating the Plum for him for a while, but I'm also wanting a $0 AF card to hold on to keep Amex happy since I'm probably canceling his Bonvoy Biz and Hilton Biz this year. I might do the Blue Biz Cash for him just because of the $0AF. The SUB (via incognito, $250 on $10K MSR) on that is paltry so I may not even bother trying to hit MSR on it. I realize the Plum is $0AF for the first year, but since I'm anticipating closing his Bonvoy and Hilton cards, and his account has 3 other cards closed in the last year, I don't really want to poke the bear (RAT) by closing the Plum in a year. I'm running out of Amex cards that interest me.

Have you experienced the pop ups? I can say that neither DH or I have gotten a pop up, and we have both canceled Amex cards a couple months prior to being approved for other Amex cards. That said, we have a long history with Amex (17 years) so that may play a part in it too. And we put a lot of grocery spend on our Golds.

I agree with your thinking about deciding on your Plat retention offer before canceling your Biz Gold. I would think about if you can use those 4x categories on the Biz Gold, and the 25% points rebate for flights on your chosen airline, and weigh if those benefits help you out at all. In the past year I've been paying attention, the Biz Gold has had the highest support links of all the MR cards FWIW.

Ok, what pop up/ad blockers are iOS folks using to view DIS? I currently use Opera browser and it was fine. Lately I get more ads passing through and typing replies has become a pain. I need a new option (preferably a free one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter