I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a new card. Any advice or suggestion on what I should go for next? I am thinking maybe a personal since I am either 1/24 or 2/24. Not sure if my Best Buy card counted or not. The cards I have from the past year are:
2/19 Best Buy
5/19 Chase SW Biz
6/19 Chase SW premier
9/19 CIP
Any others I have are from more than 5 years ago. The ones I use most often are 2 personal Amex blue cash and blue preferred and a citi card that earns 1.5% cash back. I also use discover for quarterly bonuses.
I had been using my SW a lot because I had the 25% bonus point promotion but that ended for me now.

On our first V-day as a married couple, my dh had two dozen, long-stemmed roses delivered. I casually asked him how much he spent and I freaked out after I found out how much. That was the last time he had flowers delivered to me and now, I get $8 bouquets once or twice a year lol!

What is funny is that he probably doesn't even remember that v-day is tomorrow and he bought the flowers because the trial I am sitting on is exhausting and stressing me out. Nothing to do with V-day! Once he realizes that, he will be especially proud of himself!
More important to be paying attention to you and being supportive than watching the calendar!

DH and I have never been big into Valentines Day - his birthday is coming up, so if we're going to go away or have a date or whatever, its usually to celebrate that. My youngest loves every holiday - she is up for any kind of celebration. She has been working on her cards for her classmates for a week, and also did cards for all of her teachers (art, PE, music etc) and her friends who aren't in her class. So, as a family, we exchange cards (although she told me this morning that she hasn't made cards for me or DH yet 😆 , but she can do that after school). I usually make something heart shaped for dinner (heart shaped quesadillas on the menu tonight), and something themed for dessert - I made little cherry hand pies (with a heart on the front of each one) for tonight.

More important to be paying attention to you and being supportive than watching the calendar!

DH and I have never been big into Valentines Day - his birthday is coming up, so if we're going to go away or have a date or whatever, its usually to celebrate that. My youngest loves every holiday - she is up for any kind of celebration. She has been working on her cards for her classmates for a week, and also did cards for all of her teachers (art, PE, music etc) and her friends who aren't in her class. So, as a family, we exchange cards (although she told me this morning that she hasn't made cards for me or DH yet 😆 , but she can do that after school). I usually make something heart shaped for dinner (heart shaped quesadillas on the menu tonight), and something themed for dessert - I made little cherry hand pies (with a heart on the front of each one) for tonight.
How sweet!

i have no idea what we are doing since we are at USO. So many dinner options. DS will probably get to select.

I want a new card. Any advice or suggestion on what I should go for next? I am thinking maybe a personal since I am either 1/24 or 2/24. Not sure if my Best Buy card counted or not. The cards I have from the past year are:
2/19 Best Buy
5/19 Chase SW Biz
6/19 Chase SW premier
9/19 CIP
Any others I have are from more than 5 years ago. The ones I use most often are 2 personal Amex blue cash and blue preferred and a citi card that earns 1.5% cash back. I also use discover for quarterly bonuses.
I had been using my SW a lot because I had the 25% bonus point promotion but that ended for me now.

I don't have any advice to give, but I do know from personal experience the Best Buy card counts, just FYI.

2/19 Best Buy
5/19 Chase SW Biz
6/19 Chase SW premier
9/19 CIP
What are your travel goals?

What are your travel goals?
We go to Florida twice a year and that is what started me here - looking to get the SW CP. Our goals are to travel more - California, Hawaii, and or the Caribbean in the next year or two. Europe after we retire - not enough time or good travel time to go there now. We can only taking vacations November- March.

My family has stayed at both a DoubleTree by Hilton and Residence Inn(Marriott) at Rocky Mount, though those stays date back to 2014-16 . Both were fine standard highway hotels. IIRC the RI gave you a breakfast credit at an attached restaurant instead of the usual buffet. And the reason we switched from one to the other was because of FNC availability,. not any issue with either place.
:thanks:
I really have nothing to recommend in Goldsboro. I tried to find something there for my ride down but reviews were just not good.

I liked the Fairfield Marriott in Florence and considered the newer Fairfield in Fayetteville, but eventually drove all the way to Jacksonville - too far at once! For me it was 735 miles.
Florence does have a Hyatt Place for 5k points.

I am booked in Lumberton, NC, which is further south by at least an hour then Goldsboro. The reviews look good and it was only 10K points for my off peak booking, but I may switch to the Florence Hyatt which is at least 2 hours further for you.
Thank you for all the hotel info! I need to sit down and look at the options this weekend.

We go to Florida twice a year and that is what started me here - looking to get the SW CP. Our goals are to travel more - California, Hawaii, and or the Caribbean in the next year or two. Europe after we retire - not enough time or good travel time to go there now. We can only taking vacations November- March.
For Hawaii I think I would try to get hotel credit cards. Maybe the Hilton cards, the no fee card is available right now, 100,000 points for little spend. We will target those cards at the end of this year because we plan to go to Tokyo summer 2022 and want to use those at Tokyo Disney.

Maybe the Marriott cards too for hotels. It's good to look at the places you want to go, see where you would want to stay and what points you need to stay there.

Of course more Chase URs are always good too, specially if you want to use SW to fly to Hawaii or the Caribbean.

For Hawaii I think I would try to get hotel credit cards. Maybe the Hilton cards, the no fee card is available right now, 100,000 points for little spend. We will target those cards at the end of this year because we plan to go to Tokyo summer 2022 and want to use those at Tokyo Disney.

Maybe the Marriott cards too for hotels. It's good to look at the places you want to go, see where you would want to stay and what points you need to stay there.

Of course more Chase URs are always good too, specially if you want to use SW to fly to Hawaii or the Caribbean.
Good ideas - thank you! It's a bit overwhelming to try and pick a place to stay. But earning points ahead of time on a no fee card seems like a good place to start!

Good ideas - thank you! It's a bit overwhelming to try and pick a place to stay. But earning points ahead of time on a no fee card seems like a good place to start!

I'll say that certain locations in Hawaii have lots of great options for renting condos. So credit cards that give cash back (like Citi Double Cash) or give miles/points that can be used to "erase" travel purchases (like Barclay Arrival Plus) can work really well for offsetting costs in that case. With the points/miles that "erase" purchases, you just want to watch to see if the place you are renting from is considered travel by that credit card company.

Last time we went to Maui, we rented a condo, and I think that may be the only way we ever do Maui from here on out.

I'll say that certain locations in Hawaii have lots of great options for renting condos. So credit cards that give cash back (like Citi Double Cash) or give miles/points that can be used to "erase" travel purchases (like Barclay Arrival Plus) can work really well for offsetting costs in that case. With the points/miles that "erase" purchases, you just want to watch to see if the place you are renting from is considered travel by that credit card company.

Last time we went to Maui, we rented a condo, and I think that may be the only way we ever do Maui from here on out.
Thanks, I will look into both of those. My cousin went last fall and rented a condo too. It sounds like a good idea!

You might be a little new around our thread (seems like you're just just new to the DIS in general :D) So I just figured I'd point out that Arrival Plus is closed to new applicants. And Citi Double Cash doesn't have a sign-up bonus that's really worth a look.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the first few stickied comments and see what we're all about here - the vast majority of us are hitting up multiple CCs a year looking for large sign-up bonuses, often earning 10-25% back in value on our everyday purchases.

Welcome to the thread! :D

Last edited:
You might be a little new around our thread (seems like you're just just new to the DIS in general :D) So I just figured I'd point out that Arrival Plus is closed to new applicants. And Citi Double Cash doesn't have a sign-up bonus that's really worth a look.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the first few stickied comments and see what we're all about here - the vast majority of us are hitting up multiple CCs a year looking for large sign-up bonuses, often earning 10-25% back in value on our everyday purchases.

Welcome to the thread! :D
Thanks, I saw that about the Arrival. And yes, I want a card with a worth SUB :)

Applied for BofA Premium rewards this AM for the $500 SUB with $3000 MSR/$95 AF. Took them 8 minutes to approve me. The SUB will cover half of my upcoming expense, gives me a bigger spacing window to apply for a Chase card for DH to cover the other half.
Happy Valentines Day from Florida! My sister is flying down from Chicago today to escape the cold, we have another week here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!