I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the personal Starwood Amex still available (for now, possibly 30k incognito?) just no support links? I'd love to get that for my husband before it's gone for good. I'd do it for both of us, but I'm at 4/24 and have a very long time until any drop 7/2019) and want to keep business cards an option for me (I don't have any chase biz cards yet, giving it time as I did all 4 in only a few months July-Sept 2017).

I’m wondering what the Chase Marriott upgrade offer will be. I’m not eligible for the new Chase Marriott card because I have the current one, but I hope the upgrade offer is good.

Also, I wonder if the Amex plantinum cards will come with status still and what status it will be. Did I miss that?

One thing missing today seems to be any comment on transferring between spouses. SPG has no limit on this. Marriott has a limit as well as a fee (that in practice I haven’t seen them charge). Will be interested to see when clarity come out on this.

EDIT: One thing I missed is it seems on the regular SPG card that for those who MS it may not be as good since their is a small deval in there (basically going from earning 3x Marriott to 2x Marriott). Since I don't MS, I kind of overlook that.

I don't MS but I'm not happy about this devaluation of more than 1/3. All the rest is above my level of use since I'm now retired, but as an SPG member, at SPG hotels I always had a chance of a room upgrade or club upgrade with my preferred plus status - now that's gone. Also late checkout - which I never used but it's gone. Looks to me as if at some point I'll apply for the new cards. The new Amex does look pretty good if you consider all the perks. But it will be earn and burn.

Another thing missing is what the point structure will be for Marriott travel packages.

Last edited:
Another thing missing is what the point structure with be for Marriott travel packages.
That was acknowledged in the posts I read. Basically they remain but there will be some tweaks to match the new categories. That lowest option will probably become Cat 1-4 and then progress from there.

The peak and off-peak piece of the puzzle is definitely a gray area here though.

Overall it doesn’t look too bad. Much better than other things they could have done.
My real question is will I be eligible for a new Amex Starriott Cards when I already have the Amex SPG cards. I already plan to cancel the SPG personal and would cancel the biz as well if I could get a bonus. The Marriott cards sound like burners if I was under 5/24 but alas I’m not.

Wonder how I will fare. Was planning on using Marriott points for London. The hotels are all cat 9 plus cash so maybe it won’t be a huge difference. Also will 5th nights still be free when staying on points?

Wonder how I will fare. Was planning on using Marriott points for London. The hotels are all cat 9 plus cash so maybe it won’t be a huge difference. Also will 5th nights still be free when staying on points?
Yes - appears to be no change to 5th night free.

Regarding your OLD Cat 9 hotel...that's a tough one. It seems like the likely answer there is they will slot it in the NEW Cat 6 at 50k per night. Then it will depend on whether you travel dates are off-peak, standard or peak to determine if this works in your favor or not...

Another thing missing is what the point structure will be for Marriott travel packages.

That was acknowledged in the posts I read. Basically they remain but there will be some tweaks to match the new categories. That lowest option will probably become Cat 1-4 and then progress from there.

The peak and off-peak piece of the puzzle is definitely a gray area here though.
I'll add that this has always been formula based (basically it's the cost of the nights PLUS transferring air miles at a 1:1 ratio except for Jetblue which is cut in half and United which has that little kicker). Therefore we should be able to do some math to figure out what it might look like.

So In theory it could make sense to go with this at the 120k mile band:

270k = 7nights at Cat 1-4 + 120k miles
330k = 7nights at Cat 5 + 120k miles
420k = 7nights at Cat 6 + 120k miles
480k = 7nights at Cat 7 + 120k miles
630k = 7nights at Cat 8 + 120k miles

This chart would get a 10% kicker on miles w/ United and get cut in half on the miles for Jetblue.

Now...that's all based on the Standard rates. My complete shot in the dark guess is you get nothing back if you book off-peak, you just "lose" that value if you will...and maybe they do an upcharge of points if you want to use it during peak??

(also if you're trying to figure out the formula remember the 5th night free benefit so it's 6x the nightly points + the amount of air miles).

So I am 2/24 and have one falling off after May. Should I use up a spot for the spg personal to top off those points? Doc thinks could drop to the $200 bonus tonight...or very soon.

ETA: I also noticed my marriott account says silver elite...which from the doc blog is one of the new tiers.

I just did! Should I go for it!?
Well...if you value Marriott points at $0.01 each...
1) The standard SPG 25k for $3k offer is worth $840
2) The incognito SPG 30k for $3k offer is worth $990

You are giving up a Chase slot for a signup worth $990...You are essentially 1/24 right now (lets pretend its May) so you can still get 1 or 2 more Chase Biz cards and 5 more Chase personal cards (assuming a double dip at slot 5)...Basically what is the 7th or 8th most important Chase card to you? That's what you're giving up in going for this now :) In summary...it's probably worth it ;) but that's a personal decision.

Maybe see if anybody else gives any feedback but DON'T close that window cuz there's no guaranties that incognito offer will show up the next time. I also don't know if it will time out after so long so don't wait too long.

So is the personal Starwood Amex still available (for now, possibly 30k incognito?) just no support links? I'd love to get that for my husband before it's gone for good. I'd do it for both of us, but I'm at 4/24 and have a very long time until any drop 7/2019) and want to keep business cards an option for me (I don't have any chase biz cards yet, giving it time as I did all 4 in only a few months July-Sept 2017).
DoC has a rumor the sign up bonus will change to a $200 statement credit. Says his source says this could happen anytime from tonight to the next two weeks. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/should-you-sign-up-for-the-american-express-spg-cards-now/

I'll add that this has always been formula based (basically it's the cost of the nights PLUS transferring air miles at a 1:1 ratio except for Jetblue which is cut in half and United which has that little kicker). Therefore we should be able to do some math to figure out what it might look like.

So In theory it could make sense to go with this at the 120k mile band:

270k = 7nights at Cat 1-4 + 120k miles
330k = 7nights at Cat 5 + 120k miles
420k = 7nights at Cat 6 + 120k miles
480k = 7nights at Cat 7 + 120k miles
630k = 7nights at Cat 8 + 120k miles

This chart would get a 10% kicker on miles w/ United and get cut in half on the miles for Jetblue.

Now...that's all based on the Standard rates. My complete shot in the dark guess is you get nothing back if you book off-peak, you just "lose" that value if you will...and maybe they do an upcharge of points if you want to use it during peak??

(also if you're trying to figure out the formula remember the 5th night free benefit so it's 6x the nightly points + the amount of air miles).

But if the transfer is 3 points = 1 mile and then add in the 5K mile bonus for every 60K, then you need 300,000 points just to get 120K air miles. :headache: I think I'm messing up the math a bit here...but it's in the ballpark

I have two reservations for Thanksgiving week this year, both are (current) Cat 8 properties, so it will depend on how they decide to recategorize them - I hope they figure that out before August! Assuming your numbers are correct, and assuming the current Cat 8 falls to a lower category, if one becomes a Cat 5 then I'm ahead by 30,000 points. :smooth: If one becomes a Cat 6, I lose by 60,000 points. :sad1: It all hinges on the shuffle of hotels into new categories.

I don't see any point to keeping the personal SPG AMEX, today's announcement solidifies that decision. However, the SPG Biz AMEX will get a new 4x category for U.S. dining, U.S. gas stations, and wireless telephone services, and U.S. shipping. This category doesn't even show up on the premium $450 Starwood AMEX luxury card. SPG Biz does lose the Sheraton lounge access, unfortunately, for those who use it.

Last edited:
I just applied and was approved for the SPG personal. I got the 30,000 incognito offer. I used a 5/24 slot for the application. I was 1/24 but with three Chase cards since September 2017, so I don't want to apply for any Chase cards until I'm ready to try the CSR/CSP double dip in October or November of this year. I've been thinking about this card a lot. I view it as taking the place of a Marriott card. Here is my 5/24 status and future plans.

1/24 SW Plus (Sept 2017)
x/24 CIP (Oct 2017)
x/24 SW Business (Mar 2018)
x/24 SPG Business (Mar 2018) 35K offer
2/24 SPG Personal (Apr 2018) 30K offer

3/24 CSR (Oct/Nov 2018) double dip
4/24 CSP (Oct/Nov 2018) double dip

At that point I will have applied for 5 Chase cards in a little over a year, so I will definitely wait a while before I try for another.

What do y'all think? Hope I haven't messed things up long term.

Well...if you value Marriott points at $0.01 each...
1) The standard SPG 25k for $3k offer is worth $840
2) The incognito SPG 30k for $3k offer is worth $990

You are giving up a Chase slot for a signup worth $990...You are essentially 1/24 right now (lets pretend its May) so you can still get 1 or 2 more Chase Biz cards and 5 more Chase personal cards (assuming a double dip at slot 5)...Basically what is the 7th or 8th most important Chase card to you? That's what you're giving up in going for this now :) In summary...it's probably worth it ;) but that's a personal decision.

Maybe see if anybody else gives any feedback but DON'T close that window cuz there's no guaranties that incognito offer will show up the next time. I also don't know if it will time out after so long so don't wait too long.

Ok, I did it! They even gave me my cc number on the spot.

So now we have to meet $5k CIP (will knock it out with our may mortgage and few small expenses.)
DH SPG Biz $5k
My SPG personal $3k
---------------------------all approx next 90 days. You know how I love those amex min spends too:sad2:. Good news is we have a bunch of URs and SPG points on the way!:worship:

But if the transfer is 3 points = 1 mile, then you need 360,000 points just to get 120K air miles. :headache:

I have two reservations for Thanksgiving week this year, both are (current) Cat 8 properties, so it will depend on how they decide to recategorize them - I hope they figure that out before August! Assuming your numbers are correct, and assuming the current Cat 8 falls to a lower category, if one becomes a Cat 5 then I'm ahead by 30,000 points. :smooth: If one becomes a Cat 6, I lose by 60,000 points. :sad1: It all hinges on the shuffle of hotels into new categories.

I don't see any point to keeping the personal SPG AMEX, today's announcement solidifies that decision. However, the SPG Biz AMEX will get a new 4x category for U.S. dining, U.S. gas stations, and wireless telephone services, and U.S. shipping. This category doesn't even show up on the premium $450 Starwood AMEX luxury card. SPG Biz does lose the Sheraton lounge access, unfortunately, for those who use it.
You're talking about the regular transfer rates - not nights and flights. Marriott nights and flights have always been 1:1 based on the fomula I detailed above. They are 1:1 right now actually if you look at the site: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi and do the math I described.

I saw on r/churning that the personal SPG will get a free night up to 35k points going forward. It's in the terms on the AMEX site too so that might be a reason to keep it around. The SPG Biz also says that now.

And you're right - the mapping of the hotels is the big wildcard here. There are some BIG differences between Cat 4, Cat5 and Cat 6 and a lot of hotels are going to move up and down points based on where they get slotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!