I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year: churning thread trip to NSBA world... we will take over the Cat 1 Marriott! :rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You crack me up! Tulsa is a really exotic location, let me tell you!

Man, we stayed at a Sheraton near Dulles a couple weeks ago and the shower did not drain at all. I complained at the front desk as we were leaving and she said "thank you for letting us know" and that was it. As we were walking out I told my DH if I were anyone else on this board I would be getting some points or something for compensation. Instead we were wimps and said you're welcome.

And, how the heck do you get a horse to Oklahoma if you are flying? Is there an uber horse service? Clueless here.

Same thing with me staying at a Marriott near Dulles, except the carpet was soaking wet around our AC where it was leaking! I let the front desk know on our way out and he just said "oh ok, thanks."

And my horse stays in training with a full time horse trainer. So actually, my horse lives in NC at the trainer's barn while I live in VA. The trainer feeds and cares for him and rides him, and I come down on the weekends (when I can) and ride and then meet them at shows. So the trainer hauled the horse out here last Thursday.

But yes, there is "uber" horse service in the sense that there are dedicated horse haulers with large horse trailers who haul horses around the country for a fee.

Amazon Amex?! I will probably want this! I have not considered the Chase Amazon cards since they would count against 5/24 and the only real perk would be the 5% Amazon back.

I had the old Amazon card (Amazon rewards, I think they called it) and then they upgraded us to the Prime Visa when that came out. We got the old Amazon card like 10 years ago when they first came out with it. No way would I use a coveted Chase spot for it today. However, if there is a decent bonus for the Amex Amazon, I might could be tempted to pick it up as well :) I guess since the bonus on the Chase Amazon card is so puny, I'd be surprised to see much of a bonus from this Amex card but one can hope, right!?! Since I can get Amazon GC's at better than 5% off pretty much always, I rarely use the Amazon card I have.

I can't believe it has been a week since I did my double dip. I keep checking online and it does not look like Chase has lowered the CLs yet. Maybe it is still too early considering I haven't even received/activated the CSP?

I think the issue is some are corporate run and some are franchised and lacking oversight by the corporation. You just have to look for new...there are a lot of new hamptons spring up all over and the Jr suites are so spacious...or read the reviews. Often if a building is really old I won’t book it even it it has been renovated because of things like plumbing issues or crappy a/c.
I tend to over-research everything though...just my nature.
I have no clue how any of this compares to other major chains since we don’t frequent any others. I think our only Marriott stay was the Marco JW and it was obviously nice since it is a JW.

We (almost) stayed at a ghetto Red Lion in Sacramento a few weeks back. Apparently my BFF doesn't consult TripAdvisor before choosing a hotel :scared:. I don't think it had been remodeled in the lobby since the 80's. The rooms had been remodeled more recently but were FILTHY. Stuff splattered on the walls everywhere, dirty footprints on the hard flooring, and some telling stains on the chair that did not leave anyone wondering what took place there :eek:. We walked right on back outta there! Never done that before but WOW was that bad.

Muahaha, we have you hooked now!!

When I talk to coworkers or friends about this game, it’s crazy all the reasons you’ll discover why people don’t do it.
  • They don’t payoff cards each month
  • They don’t trust themselves to use CC
  • CCs are the devil
  • They’ve wasted/lost points in the past and now assume they’ll never get any value out of the points
  • They don’t understand how CCs work and assume they’ll get charged interest even if they pay the card off each month
  • They won’t pay an annual fee even if the sign up bonus more than offsets it.
  • They assume the 2% they get back on their double cash is as good as it gets
  • They assume that there’s a catch to the game and won’t listen to anything to the contrary
  • They think I’m exaggerating about all the “free” travel and that I’m actually deep in CC debt an in denial
  • And of course there’s all the assumptions that it wrecks your credit - despite any real world examples I provide.
I could probably come up with more...LOL!

What about "But I get a free ticket with my Alaska Airlines card? " :rolleyes:

"After 8/18, certificates cannot be upgraded or downgraded, regardless of when they were purchased" definitely get those upgrades in if you're thinking you might want one folks!

:furious::badpc: WHAT?! This better be the worst rumor I have ever heard. Why the (all those words we talked about a few days ago) would they not allow that?!? This will *entirely* derail my Hawaii plans. I was going to upgrade from a Cat 1-5 to a 7. I don't have any extra points to upgrade now and I just got my Marriott card a few days ago. There's no way I can blitz out 5k in spend that fast and even if I could I wouldn't get the points that quick I am sure... I have no use for a 1-5! None!

Purchased in the spring os 2017. I hope you have better luck! Seemed pretty hit or miss and maybe how much the CM wants to dig into things. I am not sure what special price overrides or what not that they can perform without a supervisor.

This is also terrible news. Bridging UT's tickets over to the DVC AP saves a boatload for the 4 of us. The world hates me :sad:. At this rate the Centurion lounge will be at capacity tomorrow when I get there.

FYI - long weekend trip to the Wash DC area starting tonight. I’m sure you’ll all carry on without me somehow ;)

Please say Hi to the Willard Hotel for me. Tell it that I miss it and will be there next month :love:

I do hope you are going to see Hamilton or at least try to while you are there. If so, color me impressed and a little jelly. Have fun in DC!

We have the option for 4-10 or 5/4/9. Either DH or I do it but maybe if he is able to get 2nd telework day added, it might be an option. We typically commute into work together and then DS’s pick-up is at 3:05 pm from school. Although, Baltimore traffic is so much easier at 2:30 pm than at 4:30 pm.

Yep, I'm a federal government employee and I work four 10s with every Monday off. It is, as the kids say these days, the bomb.

Does anyone know - if I open a Citi card, can I get an account number immediately?

Only sometimes and only for the AA cards. And even if you get it, you can only use it on AA purchases.

FYI - long weekend trip to the Wash DC area starting tonight. I’m sure you’ll all carry on without me somehow ;)

Welcome! Go see Hamilton and eat Ethiopian food!

My 60 day window just opened. Got everything I wanted including Slinky Dog and 7DMT!

Now on to the next challenge of the day. Buying an Aerosmith fan club membership and fighting for tickets when they go on pre-sale in a few hours. Still debating if I should apply for another Amex to get an immediate number and make the MS... problem is, they don't give you much credit that way and I think 4 tickets are going to blow though $1000 easily.

:rolleyes2 Why don't I have a MS to meet right now?! #AnyOtherTime...

Yep, I'm a federal government employee and I work four 10s with every Monday off. It is, as the kids say these days, the bomb.
I typically work credit hours on the days that I can and then just use those hours at my leisure. I can't decide which one is better since at my agency we can't work credit hours if you are on an alternate schedule. I'll be using my 24 credit hours in 2 weeks so I'll only need to use leave for 2 days.

I typically work credit hours on the days that I can and then just use those hours at my leisure. I can't decide which one is better since at my agency we can't work credit hours if you are on an alternate schedule. I'll be using my 24 credit hours in 2 weeks so I'll only need to use leave for 2 days.

Yep, that's a nice setup too. We don't get to work credit/comp/OT unless it's a busy time and with management approval.

I think @SouthFayetteFan is making a special trip to DC to see Hamilton before its run ends at the Kennedy Center.

Please say Hi to the Willard Hotel for me. Tell it that I miss it and will be there next month :love:

I do hope you are going to see Hamilton or at least try to while you are there. If so, color me impressed and a little jelly. Have fun in DC!

Welcome! Go see Hamilton and eat Ethiopian food!

Luckily I know you all won’t judge me...but Hamilton, the Willard, and Ethiopian food aren’t on the list LOL!

Staying at my Aunts an hour south of the city...visiting Kings Dominion today, spending 6-8 hours in DC site seeing (mind you with a 4 and 8 yr old), and hanging out at my Cousins pool Saturday. Just a nice relaxing weekend before school starts next week.

I have stayed at that Marriott a couple of time for work trips. It’s been a few years though. It was a nice location. I remember there was a rooftop barbecue restaurant there and it had a mechanical bull that people enjoyed riding. I did not attempt it though.

Old San Juan was nice with lots of shopping and little restaurants.

We stopped there on one of our Disney cruises and walked to the Fort with DS. That is a nice, cheap experience.

SW had some awesome prices from BWI 2 years ago in Jan and I had flights and a hotel booked but DH didn’t want DS to miss anymore school days since he had missed some in the fall for vacation and he would be missing a week at Spring Break.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the info! LOL on the mechanical bull. I can see my 9-year-old attempting that if it’s still there.

We’ll have 4 full days, so I’m planning one beach/pool day, one day for Old San Juan, one day to go to the rainforest, and then one day for whatever we want (probably more beach/pool if it’s up to my kids).

Did you ever visit the El Yunque rainforest? I think I’d prefer to book some sort of guided excursion with transportation from San Juan to the forest. Need to do some reasearch on that.

Thanks for the info! LOL on the mechanical bull. I can see my 9-year-old attempting that if it’s still there.

We’ll have 4 full days, so I’m planning one beach/pool day, one day for Old San Juan, one day to go to the rainforest, and then one day for whatever we want (probably more beach/pool if it’s up to my kids).

Did you ever visit the El Yunque rainforest? I think I’d prefer to book some sort of guided excursion with transportation from San Juan to the forest. Need to do some reasearch on that.
I haven't but I have friends who did ziplining there and thought it was fun. Being there for work didn't leave a lot of free time to sightsee. DH and I did work in a trip to the Bacardi plant but found that the rum was actually cheaper at the airport than it was to purchase it on the tour :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!