I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hyatt place is further down south on Harbor and based on what some over on the DLR threads have said, they are of the opinion that Hyatt House (which is 0.7 miles to the entrance supposedly), is already "not a comfortable walk", but that's subjective, and since we are just two adults, we don't find that distance to be an issue for us personally. With that being said, Hyatt place being further down from Hyatt House, that may add to what could be an uncomfortable distance for your family.

This is the wiki map I found over on that section of the boards that may be helpful:

http://wikimapia.org/m/#lat=33.8012629&lon=-117.9180843&z=18&l=0&m=b

As @Lain mentioned, perhaps the shuttle at the Toy Story lot is the most convenient option if you don't find the Castle/Camelot options suitable. Hyatt House appears to be close if not right next to the lot, with Hyatt Place perhaps a 5min walk to the lot as Lain said. If only dates weren't that close, I'd report back after we are there in June!

@wendow, I can confirm this. I was able to book at the Hyatt House with award nights showing up for our entire stay 6/21-6/25. I was only booking for 2, so it seems consistent with what others have said. Not sure if it's possible to book for 2 (or however many number you can try to get the aware nights to show), and perhaps call and see what they can do for you? But as of last night, and I think our dates are close near the end of June, I was showing and able to book 4 nights for 12K each.

For my dates, Hyatt House comes up but it’s a king room with sofa. So we’d need two of those since that sleeps 3-4. And I may be willing to consider two rooms if the hotel works overall better than another place. Hyatt Place comes up with a two queen and sofa bed room which says sleeps 6 but then we have the further distance. Sounds like from a lot of you guys, the Toy Story lot would work fine though. We were excited about not having to deal with busing at DLR do not ready to accept that option yet lol.

I did look at Camelot and Castle. They look so old and outdated . I love the looks of Tropicana but it’s not coming up on UR.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out. Your card was probably skimmed when you swiped it somewhere. Grocery stores, gas stations, ATMs, and any card slot that's outside and exposed are popular targets. You'll want to ask Chase for a replacement as the thieves now have your information and can probably keep putting fraudulent charges on that card. It's a hassle, but better safe than sorry.

I called Chase right away and of course the fraud person said we're cancelling the card and sending another. I'm actually spending way too much time trying to figure out how the card could have been compromised. I haven't used it at any of the obvious places someone could put a skimmer, like a gas station pump or an ATM. In fact, until a few days ago I hadn't used it at all for a few weeks. One charge at Panda Express and then the fraudulent charge the same day. I guess the cashier at Panda Express could have skimmed it but that would be kind of gutsy as I was standing right there (although not really paying attention to what she was doing).

I’ve had my CSR and SW cards compromised with fraudulent charges. The CSR, Chase caught and the SW I caught. Both times it was painless. I spoke briefly to the fraud department, they removed the transactions and overnighted me a new card with a new account number. Super easy!

The fraud person I spoke to was less than friendly. Not rude exactly but more like I was inconveniencing her by having this issue. She didn't volunteer any info about the charge and only sort of answered my questions about what kind of charge, when, where, etc. All I know is that it's a charge from an event venue in LA. And no offer to overnight the card (although I didn't ask).

DLR peeps...Is the Hyatt House really the only walkable Hyatt? We will most likely be pushing our oldest in a wheelchair so the distance becomes an issue there more than anything. And getting an uber that can accommodate 6 people plus a wheelchair is hard. The Hyatt House comes up for individual days at 12k but it's a king room with a sofa bed. We'd need two of those. The Hyatt Place has a 2-queen room with a sofa bed which would fit us all (snugly!) for 12k but that looks further and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the distance.
I'd seriously consider one of the places on Harbor. Super close walk. I booked Camelot Inn thru UR portal but there's also a Holiday Inn & a couple Marriott hotels right there.

Thanks! I wouldn't have been smart enough or brave enough without you guys here to hold my hand.

Yes, my first Chase was the Disney NF Visa 10.13.17. Now the CIP. I really can't do the double CSP/CSR until hubby has his surgery and we have no idea when that will be as of now. Or in late September, maybe. The spend is the killer here. November has insurance premiums and taxes but I'm not sure what the cc fee is to pay the taxes. If it's 3% that would be over $200. Not sure i want to do that.

The only other Chase cards that interest me besides CSR & CSP are CFU, CU and MAYBE the CIC Business. Do I need to keep one of the freedoms open to pc the CSR when I'm tired of the AF? Another possibility is the IHG, maybe. The only hotel loyalty we have is Best Western and that rarely gets additions to it as my dh has to use approved hotels for his work after they were bought out. (We lost a ton of perks then.)

I think my next card will be the CFU or CF. I'm favoring the CFU for the 2%. I already have rotating categories on my Disc, get 6% on groceries, and 4% on gas on other cards. After that not sure. Will look into Amex business cards to see what's available. I'm sure I'll be back before then with questions!

I also can get a card or two in my dh name. He didn't react too negatively when he heard me on the phone with Chase today.

I took your survey. You can probably tell mine is the one with hardly any cards!

Thanks again for all your help.

Just so you are clear the Freedom Unlimited is 1.5 UR points per dollar spent. It is not quite the 2%. You are right there is some overlap with the Discover and Freedom, but the 5 times UR is handy if you can maximize.

Calypso...That is truly the definition of first world problems! I hope your find your way:rotfl2:

On another note, how have people's BB bonus points been posting? I checked my CSR this morning and only got 300 points for my Chase Pay purchase. My Freedom purchase posted fine for the $300 dollar limit (not $400). I sent a SM. I'm wondering if they are realizing the gift card purchases.

I have the email for the Reserve still and it doesn’t say anything about gift cards excluded. It just says an in store purchase using Chase Pay. My Freedom coded correctly, and I haven’t made it to BB yet to try my other two UR cards. Let us know if you hear back from Chase.

For those who have purchased DL tickets via LMTclub, it seems the savings is in the 8-9% ballpark if my math is correct. Since LMT codes as travel for the CSR (so 3x on top of that) and assuming the travel credit is not in play, is there any reason to not use the Disney GCs I've acquired in the 12-17% off context to purchase DL tickets from Disney direct over paying for them using LMT/CSR?
Will you use the Disney gift cards for something else? Can you acquire more gift cards at that discount to cover those costs? If so use Disney gift cards to buy tickets, if not LMT.

@Psychodisney is not alone. Chase Pay 10x DPs from DoC has a DP of CFU posting correctly for a 1/18 purchase, a couple DPs on CSRs only posting 1x. SM is telling people they weren't targeted but one person called in and was told to call back if the points don't post by the statement cut and they will manually credit points. So, CFU seems to be for sure a go CSP & CSR could be messy.

Hi and :welcome: to the travel hacking thread! I see you've already received the standard get your Chase 5/24 cards first. While none of the UR points will transfer to Alaska directly, there are Alaska Air partners that do get direct transfers from Chase UR points, like British Airways. So you can book Alaska Airlines using British Airways Avios miles, you just need to search for the availability on American Airlines website. If they have a saver award for an Alaska Air flight, then it is bookable with BA Avios. Sometimes, it will be less Chase UR points to book an award flight by transferring your UR points to BA miles than it will to pay for the same flight through the UR portal with your points. I will suggest to always check both options. Of course, you can also pay for your hotel stays with UR points. UR points in the CSR account are worth more than CSP and CIP.

We pay for all of our Disney vacations with Disney gift cards. Often times, we do get them at a discount. However, I find that purchasing them and getting 5x UR points either with the Freedom or Ink Cash/Plus is worth more than purchasing them with a 5% - 6% discount via Discover or Amex. If I buy $1,000 in Disney Gift Cards with the Amex for 6% cash back, I will save $60. If I buy $1,000 in Disney Gift Cards with a Freedom or Ink+/cash and earn 5 UR points which I would transfer to my CSR account I would earn 5,000 UR points which are worth $75 in the UR portal. Even with the CSP account they would be worth $62.50 which is better than the $60 savings. Once in a while we get really lucky and are able to combine the Chase UR 5x earning plus a discount. My personal combination to earn UR points is the Freedom and the Ink Plus which is no longer available but the Ink Cash still gets 5x at office supply stores which sell Disney gift cards. I also have the CSR and Freedom Unlimited. All UR points get transferred to my CSR account.

DH and I each have the Chase Marriott card since we get a free night on our card anniversary every year at a category 1-5 Marriott. We always use them at one of the 3 Marriott Village properties which are very close to WDW and also a WDW good neighbor hotel. One or two of them include breakfast with your stay. I find that the free night each year is worth the annual fee since I've never seen a Marriott for $85 or less.

Once you are past 5/24 or have the Chase cards you want/need I will suggest the SPG personal (while it lasts) and SPG business cards since SPG points transfer to Alaska 1:1. I will also suggest the Alaska card, both personal and business.

Other cards to consider down the line would be both Barclay American Airlines and Citi American Airlines. AA is an Alaska air partner and you can book AS flights using AA miles.

Hope this helps :flower3:
@calypso726 I missed this when you originally posted it. Some GREAT AS info here. Thank you very much! I am going to chew on this for a few days and reformulate my plan.

I already have the AK Signature Visa. If I close it do I need to wait before reapplying?

@Psychodisney is not alone. Chase Pay 10x DPs from DoC has a DP of CFU posting correctly for a 1/18 purchase, a couple DPs on CSRs only posting 1x. SM is telling people they weren't targeted but one person called in and was told to call back if the points don't post by the statement cut and they will manually credit points. So, CFU seems to be for sure a go CSP & CSR could be messy.
Interesting! I'm glad I do have the emails if there is a question about being "targeted". My DH has the email on CSR as well but we haven't bought anything on his yet.

Interesting! I'm glad I do have the emails if there is a question about being "targeted". My DH has the email on CSR as well but we haven't bought anything on his yet.
The fine print says bonus cash back will post to the account within a week of the transaction posting so maybe you'll see the points within the next week? Fingers crossed.

The fine print says bonus cash back will post to the account within a week of the transaction posting so maybe you'll see the points within the next week? Fingers crossed.
Can you post what this targeted email says? I just downgraded to freedom unlimited and don't see anything.

Anyone not targeted try it?

Ok i just looked in my junk file and found chase and it says this.

Use your Sapphire® card at Best Buy® for the big game. Check out using the ChasePay app and you'll automatically earn a total of 10 points per $1 spent on up to $300 maximum in purchases.1

That's 9 extra points in addition to the 1 point you always earn on purchases at Best Buy. Offer valid in-store only from January 15th to February 4th.

**** Problem is i just downgraded to freedom unlimited. Wonder if i should still try it?

Hmm going to have to check junk folder to see if I got one. Hope so as I could use 300 more in gift cards and planned to go to Best Buy for them.

ETA checked junk and didn’t get an email for the CSR or CSP

Last edited:
On gift of college cards—I’m finding they take a long time to post. I redeemed one last Saturday and it still hasn’t hit dd’s 529. The confirmation email says to allow 14 days. Also I seem to have problems logging in. Not a huge deal, but a bit irritating.

Weekend events so far on my one and only card - Chase Freedom:
  • Best Buy on Friday. Bought a $300 gift card with ChasePay for the 10x points
  • Babies R Us on Friday. Testing out a Gift of College strategy. Purchased $25 card with Applepay for 5x points.
  • Groceries on Saturday. $200 on Applepay for 5x points. Plus starting to coupon again and saved $40 with coupons/BOGO.
  • Chase Checking and Savings. Had the coupon for $500 if open new checking and savings accounts. Opened those and deposited from my other savings account. I know I don't have the $500 yet but counting it as I am happy.
Gift of college: it says it may take 14 days to post to the 529 plan. UGGH. I am not overly worried as the Ohio Advantage plan was on the GoC website but the 529 plan had no mention of it on their website. I really just want to see the first one to go through. Once the first one goes through, I'm planning to see how much I will use these to make minimum spend. Right now am saving $1000 a month or 12K a year in the 529 plan and could easily front load to make min spend on some new cards. I wish they had a larger card than $500!

Chase: here is a question for the experts. When I went in for the checking account, the banker showed me the screen that said I am pre-approved for a) CFU; b) Sapphire; c) airline rewards. I turned down anything at that moment and he said if I change my mind they'll be there. Knowing about these pre-approvals, should I change any of the strategy which was CIP first then double dip CSR/CSP? I am wondering if I should do the double dip first, knowing I'll get auto approval (am I thinking that right with the pre-approval) on the CSR? I was going to wait until later in the year when I had some travel planned but could use the GoC strategy to help if I went with the double dip first.

Thanks for any help with decision making.

Weekend events so far on my one and only card - Chase Freedom:
  • Best Buy on Friday. Bought a $300 gift card with ChasePay for the 10x points
  • Babies R Us on Friday. Testing out a Gift of College strategy. Purchased $25 card with Applepay for 5x points.
  • Groceries on Saturday. $200 on Applepay for 5x points. Plus starting to coupon again and saved $40 with coupons/BOGO.
  • Chase Checking and Savings. Had the coupon for $500 if open new checking and savings accounts. Opened those and deposited from my other savings account. I know I don't have the $500 yet but counting it as I am happy.
Gift of college: it says it may take 14 days to post to the 529 plan. UGGH. I am not overly worried as the Ohio Advantage plan was on the GoC website but the 529 plan had no mention of it on their website. I really just want to see the first one to go through. Once the first one goes through, I'm planning to see how much I will use these to make minimum spend. Right now am saving $1000 a month or 12K a year in the 529 plan and could easily front load to make min spend on some new cards. I wish they had a larger card than $500!

Chase: here is a question for the experts. When I went in for the checking account, the banker showed me the screen that said I am pre-approved for a) CFU; b) Sapphire; c) airline rewards. I turned down anything at that moment and he said if I change my mind they'll be there. Knowing about these pre-approvals, should I change any of the strategy which was CIP first then double dip CSR/CSP? I am wondering if I should do the double dip first, knowing I'll get auto approval (am I thinking that right with the pre-approval) on the CSR? I was going to wait until later in the year when I had some travel planned but could use the GoC strategy to help if I went with the double dip first.

Thanks for any help with decision making.
I’m on day 7 waiting for my goc redemption to show up in our va 529 plan. I’m not worried but like you will feel better when I’ve got one deposit showing up.

That does change the calculation. Say no to Hyatt Place then. Blocks are long in Anaheim & sidewalks busy & traffic is busy. I remember those people walking & they looked miserable on return (we stayed Hyatt Place doing things other than Disneyland). You would kick yourself every time you walked past Hyatt House and still had 10 mins to go.

I agree with those that

We're pretty nice over on the DL board don't be afraid to pop in if you've got other trip q's or specific q's about off-site hotels we don't know the answer to here :)

ETA: map shows Toy Story lot is about halfway between the Hyatts. No street to cross with Hyatt House but you do have to walk like 5 mins the wrong direction. New conclusion: HH gives you the option of walking or shuttling. HP you'll want to shuttle- doesn't look like a bad option actually now that I've got a map up!
That does change the calculation. Say no to Hyatt Place then. Blocks are long in Anaheim & sidewalks busy & traffic is busy. I remember those people walking & they looked miserable on return (we stayed Hyatt Place doing things other than Disneyland). You would kick yourself every time you walked past Hyatt House and still had 10 mins to go.

I agree with those that say Hyatt House is pushing the bounds of walk-ability but in general it'll work fine when your crew is refreshed & toy story shuttle when they aren't. With the wheelchair I would stay Hyatt House & utilize the Toy Story shuttle but first I'd ask on the DLR board if anyone has experience with wheelchairs or ECVs on the shuttles to make sure there is nothing about that aspect that we are missing.

We did one night in the 6 person room at Castle Inn & Suites. It was fine for a decent motel for us all to sleep last minute when we extended a trip, but with Hyatt House being just a couple mins away I'd take that in a heartbeat if it was an option. Much nicer accommodations, motel vs hotel basically. Also, Hyatt House is closer to Toy Story lot which I think saves you from crossing any streets but ask others to make sure.

We're pretty nice over on the DL board don't be afraid to pop in if you've got other trip q's or specific q's about off-site hotels we don't know the answer to here :)

ETA: map shows Toy Story lot is about halfway between the Hyatts. No street to cross with Hyatt House but you do have to walk like 5 mins the wrong direction. New conclusion: HH gives you the option of walking or shuttling. HP you'll want to shuttle- doesn't look like a bad option actually now that I've got a map up!

Thank you! You all have been super helpful! I have posted a few times over on the DL forum and I have found kind souls over there but I've also been completely ignored, which is why I default to all the nice people here :) I am going to move my questions over there though as I get further into my planning because I don't want to bog down this thread with so much DLR chatter.

I've got sick kiddos today (lots of junk going around here) but I'm going to look at the map you posted and go through all the info everyone shared later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter