I-May-gination Exercise Challenge

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Welcome to the May 2018 Exercise Thread! This month, we'll pretend our exercise takes place in an imagined Disney World. - I got a book for Christmas called The Walt Disney World That Never Was, by Christopher E. Smith, and was fascinated by all the attraction ideas that progressed quite far into the design process, but never actually made it into the parks. I’ll share a few highlights (though I definitely recommend reading the whole book if you have time!) and you’ll get a chance (if you want) to share your own Disney Imagineering dreams as well.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes toward that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal, which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since May has 31 days, here are some common conversions:
15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. Since I couldn’t think of a really good way to tie them into the theme, I just went with Disney characters for each color (though I did try to pick some less common ones):

Tutter Blue 10% (the mouse from Bear in the Big Blue House)
Hank Orange 25% (the octopus in Finding Dory)
Figment Purple 50% (because he actually does go with the imagination theme)
Flora Pink 75% (one of the good fairies in Sleeping beauty)
Iago Red 90% (Jafar’s sidekick in Aladdin)
Pascal Green 100% (Rapunzel's pet chameleon)

We’re officially starting this challenge on May 1st, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Team Members:
PollyannaMom - 520/600
Elizabeth Smith - 740/690
sophy1996 - 1620/1300
lovesmurfs - 2027/2000
piglet1979 - 1619/930
Twilight Sparkle - 2370/1860
GrandAdmiralStrife - 1580/1400

------------------------------------
Team Total - 10,476/8,780 = 119%

Last edited:

Hi, everyone - It's great to see some sign-ups and minutes already! I have 20 minutes of my own to add, and that brings the team total so far to 177. (At 4%, we're keeping up, or even slightly over, target pace. :) )

We'll start the trivia with a quick one for today. There's been a lot of chatter lately about a possible Mary Poppins attraction in Epcot. But did you know there was almost one in the original Magic Kingdom!?

When the Florida park was being built, Imagineers were trying to carefully balance old favorites from Disneyland with unique attractions that would draw people to the new park, and Peter Pan's Flight was almost one of those Disneyland attractions NOT duplicated. - If things had gone differently, it would have been replaced by one of two Mary Poppins ideas:

One would have used umbrella-style vehicles to transport guests over the rooftops of London. The other would have placed guests into the "Jolly Holiday" scene, riding merry-go-round horses through dioramas of Bert's chalk-drawings.

I wonder if the new ride (if it happens) will revive the old ideas???

I am in again this month. I am going to go with 30 minutes a day. I had a good day. DD had soccer practice and we finally have nice weather. It was 82 sunny with a light breeze. While she was at practice I walked a path for over 30 minutes.

65/930

Team update - 511 minutes, 6% of goal :cheer2:

And congratulatuins to @lovesmurfs for being the first to reach Tutter (or, in this case, Smurf) Blue!! :stitch:

Which makes an Enchanted Snow Palace the perfect project for today. -

This time I have some concept art:

0363.Marc_2D00_4.jpg

1180w-600h_marc-davis-snow-queen-gag-sketches-780x440.jpg

lf

and you can read more details in these articles if you're interested:
https://d23.com/lesser-known-characters-from-enchanted-snow-palace/
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2013/01/03/title.aspx

The short version - The Enchanted Snow Palace was an attraction originally designed by Marc Davis for Disneyland, but also considered for the Magic Kingdom. It was based on "The Snow Queen" (starting to sound like Frozen?) and would have featured a boat ride (check) housed in enormous white and blue glacier/palace in Fantasyland, with Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite playing in the background.

In the end, the money at the time went into the speed and excitement of thrill rides, but I definitely think there are pieces of this idea alive in WDW today!

So think cool thoughts while you're exercising, and picture yourself in the Enchanted Snow Palace!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!