I missed the SW 60k offer

I know it's silly but it's kind of hard to not actually just meet my spend on the new cards. I keep second guessing myself and checking my totals to make sure I haven't used the wrong card. Don't want to have gone through all of this and then mess up getting the CP for 2 years.

Not silly at all! Everybody is in the same boat on this one. Due to the 60K promo ending in early Oct., it forced most people to apply earlier than they normally would for the two cards. Unfortunately, this makes the timing even more critical this time. I previously mentioned this, but for me it has changed my normal behavior of meeting the min spend very early in the window (usually the first statement) to extending it out to the end of the window which means paying very close attention to spending so as not to make a critical mistake!

To be honest, I'm glad to see so many posts from members who are being cautious and executing the strategy to perfection! I just hate to see somebody miss out because they didn't quite understand what to do.

Make sure they understand you want your closing date sooner. Don't just say something like the 20th make sure they know it would be Nov 20 not Dec 20. Yes, I made that error. Thought I had been quite clear I wanted to move date up but they extended the dat out further.

To make sure I do this right, if all of my purchases show up as active (no longer pending), and my balances are over $2000, and I get my pay date moved to a date as soon as possible, my rewards balance should be increased for the proper points based on the rewards # I included on my application, correct? Or am I calling it too close?

Not silly at all! Everybody is in the same boat on this one. Due to the 60K promo ending in early Oct., it forced most people to apply earlier than they normally would for the two cards. Unfortunately, this makes the timing even more critical this time. I previously mentioned this, but for me it has changed my normal behavior of meeting the min spend very early in the window (usually the first statement) to extending it out to the end of the window which means paying very close attention to spending so as not to make a critical mistake!

To be honest, I'm glad to see so many posts from members who are being cautious and executing the strategy to perfection! I just hate to see somebody miss out because they didn't quite understand what to do.
Totally agree. I have mine in a spreadsheet so I can keep track of them. Although I have my 6 month auto insurance due on 12/15 so that will help complete the spend on my Premier and I am sure I'll have a propane bill somewhere in that timeframe for completion to help finish the Plus, else I'll do some last minute Christmas shopping for DS :)

I'm right there with those a little freaked out at this long wait to make the spend! I keep second guessing everything, and wondering if I'm too close. I have about $1400 on each card and am holding out to finish my spending until early Jan. (I think that's right?). I have until Jan 19 to meet my minimum spend and I'm not worried about getting the CP as early as possible since I won't be able to use it until late Feb at the earliest, but I just want it DONE and done right to get the second year! It's too bad the ending spend time is right after I have all kinds of things I could spend money on, LOL. I mean, Christmas! Home repairs! Birthdays! So many things between now and mid-December I could use it for. I'm also afraid to put too much on the cards and become one of those people who was credited with the points too soon. I wish I could just do it and get it over with, ha ha! I have a folder next to the computer where I note everything and keep copies of SMs from Chase and track the spending. I guess you could say this is my new obsession.

I'm right there with those a little freaked out at this long wait to make the spend! I keep second guessing everything, and wondering if I'm too close. I have about $1400 on each card and am holding out to finish my spending until early Jan. (I think that's right?). I have until Jan 19 to meet my minimum spend and I'm not worried about getting the CP as early as possible since I won't be able to use it until late Feb at the earliest, but I just want it DONE and done right to get the second year! It's too bad the ending spend time is right after I have all kinds of things I could spend money on, LOL. I mean, Christmas! Home repairs! Birthdays! So many things between now and mid-December I could use it for. I'm also afraid to put too much on the cards and become one of those people who was credited with the points too soon. I wish I could just do it and get it over with, ha ha! I have a folder next to the computer where I note everything and keep copies of SMs from Chase and track the spending. I guess you could say this is my new obsession.

You're in great shape. I really wish that one data point wasn't out there mentioning the points posting early and, to be honest, I don't believe we have all the facts surrounding it. In the past, as soon as the December statement closed, we would always just meet the minimum spend ASAP and wait for the points to hit in January. I truly don't think anything has changed in this regard, but I'm also in the "it's better to be safe than sorry" camp so I'll make my final transactions closer to Jan 1 to avoid any issues.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to reading all the "update" posts in early January with everybody reporting back that their strategy worked, their points posted and they are the proud parents of a brand-new CP!!

You can Secure Message (SM) Chase when you're logged into your account online and ask to move your closing date to whatever date you want.

Okay, traded a couple of SMs with Chase trying to get my closing date moved to as soon as possible. Two different responses from Chase both told me they would be happy to move it, but it wouldn’t be effective for a couple of billing periods

Is there a trick to this?

My points posted on the day my statement closed, in case that helps anyone out. I didn’t understand the idea of trying to get my points to post in January for the two years companion pass so I did mess up and fly points posted this weekend. That’s ok because we booked two trips before the end of the year. In 2019 we will try again in my husbands name early in the year.

Okay, traded a couple of SMs with Chase trying to get my closing date moved to as soon as possible. Two different responses from Chase both told me they would be happy to move it, but it wouldn’t be effective for a couple of billing periods

Is there a trick to this?

No trick, that's their standard response. Usually it takes affect on the next billing cycle.

Hi! I just recently learned about the awesomeness of the Southwest credit cards/companion pass - sadly too late for the October 60k point offer. Does anyone recall if that offer was on the Plus or Premier card (or both)? I was going to go ahead and apply for one card now at the 40k point offer, and then hold out hope that there will be a 50k or maybe even 60k offer in the next couple of months. I'm just wondering if I'm more likely to get such an offer on one card over the other, so that I can get the opposite card now (if that makes sense).

Also, is it correct that if my billing date is, say the 7th of the month, then I can spend money from December 7-January 7 and all of those dollars will become points in January 2018? I'm hoping I can use some Christmas shopping money to make up for the difference in the bonus points, but don't want those dollars/points to count in December.

Thanks!

Hi! I just recently learned about the awesomeness of the Southwest credit cards/companion pass - sadly too late for the October 60k point offer. Does anyone recall if that offer was on the Plus or Premier card (or both)? I was going to go ahead and apply for one card now at the 40k point offer, and then hold out hope that there will be a 50k or maybe even 60k offer in the next couple of months. I'm just wondering if I'm more likely to get such an offer on one card over the other, so that I can get the opposite card now (if that makes sense).

Also, is it correct that if my billing date is, say the 7th of the month, then I can spend money from December 7-January 7 and all of those dollars will become points in January 2018? I'm hoping I can use some Christmas shopping money to make up for the difference in the bonus points, but don't want those dollars/points to count in December.

Thanks!
The SW Business card is still available for the 60k with a 3k spend. You could get that first which would put you closer that applying for the personal cards. If you payment date is say 12/4 then your statement closing date will be 12/7. So you would have until early Jan to spend and have the points count towards FY18 CP. You could just hold the business card until Dec and then have all 3k in spend count towards CP.

Thanks!

The 60K promo was offered on all three cards, Plus, Premier, and Premier Business and is still currently offered on the Premier Business (in case you happen to qualify). I suspect that at some point in time, at least the 50K promo, will be offered again, but nobody knows when that will be. Whether or not you apply for a card now really depends on your spending habits/needs. If you get a card at 40K and then one at 50K, that still leaves you with 20K points to earn to get over the 110K point for the CP. If applicable, I'd get the business card at 60K first and go from there. You are correct that any spending from the 7th of December would hit your account in Jan 2018 and qualify against the 110K point requirement.

The SW Business card is still available for the 60k with a 3k spend. You could get that first which would put you closer that applying for the personal cards. If you payment date is say 12/4 then your statement closing date will be 12/7. So you would have until early Jan to spend and have the points count towards FY18 CP. You could just hold the business card until Dec and then have all 3k in spend count towards CP.

The 60K promo was offered on all three cards, Plus, Premier, and Premier Business and is still currently offered on the Premier Business (in case you happen to qualify). I suspect that at some point in time, at least the 50K promo, will be offered again, but nobody knows when that will be. Whether or not you apply for a card now really depends on your spending habits/needs. If you get a card at 40K and then one at 50K, that still leaves you with 20K points to earn to get over the 110K point for the CP. If applicable, I'd get the business card at 60K first and go from there. You are correct that any spending from the 7th of December would hit your account in Jan 2018 and qualify against the 110K point requirement.

Thanks for the tips! Sadly I don't think I could qualify for the business card (unless my "business" could be planning Disney trips . . . too bad I don't get paid for it!) "Fortunately," we've got some big expenses coming due in January, so I think I could hit the $110k/points in at least the first quarter of 2018. And sounds like I can get at least a little bit of a head start with some Christmas shopping expenses, if I can convince myself to wait that long.

Thanks for the tips! Sadly I don't think I could qualify for the business card (unless my "business" could be planning Disney trips . . . too bad I don't get paid for it!) "Fortunately," we've got some big expenses coming due in January, so I think I could hit the $110k/points in at least the first quarter of 2018. And sounds like I can get at least a little bit of a head start with some Christmas shopping expenses, if I can convince myself to wait that long.
Many people has applied with businesses such as selling on eBay, minor consulting services and very limited income and have been approved.

Just realized that when my wife completed her applications, she put down my RR account #. Will I now need to set up a RR account for her, and call Chase to have the bonus go to her account?

Or, will it go to my account since she listed my RR number? If they actually check to make sure the cards and RR are the same person, how do they confirm? — did I have to enter my SS# when I first set up my RR account a while back, I don’t even remember. If not, how do they check — names have to match exactly?, ie if middle name on RR account but first name on cards, no match?

Just realized that when my wife completed her applications, she put down my RR account #. Will I now need to set up a RR account for her, and call Chase to have the bonus go to her account?

Or, will it go to my account since she listed my RR number? If they actually check to make sure the cards and RR are the same person, how do they confirm? — did I have to enter my SS# when I first set up my RR account a while back, I don’t even remember. If not, how do they check — names have to match exactly?, ie if middle name on RR account but first name on cards, no match?

In case you’re curious at all, I decided to send a secure message to Chase about my situation (we’re definitely using CP and all points in 2018, so really no reason to time our spend for January)

Chase response: "...we reviewed your account and have confirmed the offer you inquired about was 60,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000.00 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. The bonus posted to your account on November 8, 2017 and will reflect on your December 7, 2017 credit card statement. Rewards are available for use once they appear on your statement. The points will transfer and post to your partner account within 30 days from the statement date. The membership number linked to your credit card account is [my desired RR account #]."

If tickets have already been purchased with cash, is there a way to change the payment to reward points? Also, can you ever change a ticket to another person?

If tickets have already been purchased with cash, is there a way to change the payment to reward points? Also, can you ever change a ticket to another person?

I think the answers to both these questions are no and no.

With cash, if you cancel you get a year to use the cash.

You can't change a paid (cash) ticket to another person.

You can cancel a points ticket and rebook another person with the points.

I think the answers to both these questions are no and no.

With cash, if you cancel you get a year to use the cash.

You can't change a paid (cash) ticket to another person.

You can cancel a points ticket and rebook another person with the points.
Thank you! I figured as much, but wanted to double check. I need to fly somewhere in January and am worried if I wait for the points I won't get the flight I need.

So since we're into December I'm trying to plan out my purchases at the end of the year/beginning of next to get the companion pass for 2018/19.

If I pay some bills or make purchases around 12/27 or 12/28, when would they post to my SW account?

Right now I've got about $1500 spent on each SW card and I don't want to get too close to the $2,000 before the New Year, but I also am trying to plan my every day budget.

So since we're into December I'm trying to plan out my purchases at the end of the year/beginning of next to get the companion pass for 2018/19.

If I pay some bills or make purchases around 12/27 or 12/28, when would they post to my SW account?

Right now I've got about $1500 spent on each SW card and I don't want to get too close to the $2,000 before the New Year, but I also am trying to plan my every day budget.
I plan is to meet the spend by around 12/15 so the points will post shortly after 1/1 and 1/4. So hopefully by 1/6, I’ll have CP. It really depends on when your statement closes. So my Plus just started today for Jan and my Premier will start on 12/4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter