I need everyone's input please.....do we dare go week after Christmas?

flea1267

DIS Veteran
We have a family trip planned week after Christmas - I know the dangers - we are blessed we've been many times, we are planning on just being able to hit the important things BUT are we crazy - should we wait until next year with SWGE Opening? I would just love to hear any and all opinions. Thanks friends!

Is it crazy? Probably. But we are going then too and we will make the best of it. We went for Christmas 2018 as well and what surprised us the most was the ease at getting additional FPs throughout the day, much easier than our previous trips in January. And this was for a group of 8 so it was a big group.

I'm assuming you mean the week between Xmas and New Years? It's the busiest week of the year, so you're going to get strong opinions on both sides. I fall very much on the "go for it" side. We did it in 2015 and 2017 and I can't wait to do it again. It's very busy, no doubt. However, IMO if you have some holiday spirit, some patience and use available tools such as FP+ and mobile ordering you'll be surprised how much you can get "done". Or just take in the holiday atmosphere.

We are looking at doing that as well. It will be the first time visiting at that time of year, and we will be annual passholders. What should we be aware of in regards to possible park shutdowns.

As long as you know what you are getting into and plan for it. Knowing what to expect is important.
This year, may be even busier than usual with SWGE partially opened. Nobody knows yet, what impact that will have.
OTOH, the Christmas decorations are beautiful. And resort hopping to see how each is decorated is really fun.

We have been the week between Christmas and New Years and it is insane, but it can also still be a lot of fun. It may be even worse this year with SWGE. How old are your kids? Based on our experience, we decided we would never do it while DD was a toddler/pre-schooler, but that we would be okay doing it with her as an older kid. It would never be my choice of times to go, if I could find a different time that worked. Since you have been a bunch of times and know what to expect, I think it would definitely be do-able and that you would know how to work the system to get to do what you really wanted to do. If you have never been during the Christmas season, it is beautiful!

Is it crazy? Probably. But we are going then too and we will make the best of it. We went for Christmas 2018 as well and what surprised us the most was the ease at getting additional FPs throughout the day, much easier than our previous trips in January. And this was for a group of 8 so it was a big group.

It will be a group of 10 but all adults so somewhat easier than if we had small ones :) thanks!

We have been the week between Christmas and New Years and it is insane, but it can also still be a lot of fun. It may be even worse this year with SWGE. How old are your kids? Based on our experience, we decided we would never do it while DD was a toddler/pre-schooler, but that we would be okay doing it with her as an older kid. It would never be my choice of times to go, if I could find a different time that worked. Since you have been a bunch of times and know what to expect, I think it would definitely be do-able and that you would know how to work the system to get to do what you really wanted to do. If you have never been during the Christmas season, it is beautiful!

Hey...all the "kids" are grown, 21, 21 and 18 :) several of them have never seen Disney at Christmas before so that's really our "goal" :) and full disclosure the 2 - 21 year old "boys" one is my son and his BFF since he was 2 - we are all friends/family and we want to do a trip before the "boys" are all done w/ school and really off on their own...kind of a last hurrah before life changes too much more.

Sounds like you're aware of what to expect and if you're willing to deal with it, go for it. As for me, not in a million years.

If you REALLY want too...It'll be insanely busy though. Next year will be worse after SWGE opens

Hey...all the "kids" are grown, 21, 21 and 18 :) several of them have never seen Disney at Christmas before so that's really our "goal" :) and full disclosure the 2 - 21 year old "boys" one is my son and his BFF since he was 2 - we are all friends/family and we want to do a trip before the "boys" are all done w/ school and really off on their own...kind of a last hurrah before life changes too much more.

No problem at all- if they get whiny you can ship them off on their own!!!:rolleyes: Disney is great when it is all decorated for Christmas. If that week is the only time they can all go- then I would say go for it! Honestly, if you gave me the choice of spring break or the week between Christmas and New Years, I might take Christmas. At least if it is insanely crowded it is pretty- there are lots of decorations and Christmas Music!

If you REALLY want too...It'll be insanely busy though. Next year will be worse after SWGE opens

SWGE opens this year- officially August 29, 2019.

Last edited:
We're planning to camp at FW for two weeks over Christmas. It will mostly be a camping trip though with just a couple of park days. I am just having a hard time deciding which days to go where. I'm pretty sure we will do NYE starting at DHS to RD Star Wars and then wrap up the night partying through Epcot.

Considering whether it will be worth burning a bunch of points to get a room at Swan and Dolphin for 1 night on NYE so we have a homebase to rest in and an easy escape after the fireworks. Feels a bit wasted though since we will have our campsite there waiting for us.

Our second day will be AK in the am and MK at night but not sure whether to do this on Dec 23 before Christmas or later in the week.

It will be packed regardless but if we go in with a solid plan, we will have a great time.

We have a family trip planned week after Christmas - I know the dangers - we are blessed we've been many times, we are planning on just being able to hit the important things BUT are we crazy - should we wait until next year with SWGE Opening? I would just love to hear any and all opinions. Thanks friends!
We’re thinking the same thing. Going to be there same time as you. We’re DVC Members & have been going for years & years. We also got married there. To be honest, after all these years, we’ve lowered our expectations of what we want to do while at Disney versus what we can actually do.

If you can pick any other week, I would pick any other week. If that's the only week you can go, just go in knowing it will be really, really, really crowded. We did it once and if we did it again, honestly, I wouldn't step foot into MK or DS for that entire week. EP was doable - just avoid WS during CP show times (we found touring FW during CP was a good strategy). AK was ok. We did Wild Africa Trek that week and though it was peak pricing for the tour, it was FANTASTIC as it was a great way to get an in-depth view of the savannah with zero crowds. DHS the year we went was great, though I don't think that will be the case this year. The Boardwalk at night was fun and we were super lucky with weather that year and could swim every day. If you can afford it, stay as close as you can to the parks you think you will visit most. We stayed at BWV so could walk to DHS and EP and it saved our trip. All transportation - boats, buses and monorail - will be packed that week. Do not drive your own car to any parks. Traffic will be nightmarish. Think of alternative things to do - restaurants you've always wanted to eat in, play mini-golf as soon as it opens, visit the deluxe resorts, watch the fireworks from outside the park, etc.

I haven’t been for Christmas but have done several days leading up to New Years the last two years. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite times of the year. Nice LONG park hours, tons of staff, a fun atmosphere/spirit that is hard to explain.

Is it the best time for first timers? No, probably not. But for folks who are OK with just “being there”, taking it all in, doing a few things here and there, etc, it’s great.

I also think places like the DIS tend to over-emphasize the two extreme viewpoints when it comes to the major holidays - the “don’t go, it’s crazy” side and the “it’s wonderful” side. Reality is somewhere in the middle.

My best input is have measured expectations and have a blast. Works for us. :-)

For us, I’m still leaning yes because we’ve done all the rides multiple times.

I want to see parks at Christmas, houses aren’t too bad, we splurged on annual passes and the weather will be better than Illinois.

My main concern is wanting to go later in the day and all parks being closed.

I've done it. Rope dropped every day except EPCOT for NYE. We'd leave the parks by 2pm and then relax at the resort. Not for the faint of heart or rookie WDW visitor. Have a plan but be flexible. I wouldn't do it again but I had a great time. No regrets.

For us, I’m still leaning yes because we’ve done all the rides multiple times.

I want to see parks at Christmas, houses aren’t too bad, we splurged on annual passes and the weather will be better than Illinois.

My main concern is wanting to go later in the day and all parks being closed.
We go almost every year during this time. MK will occasionally have a phased closure for a short period of time, but that’s about it. I’d say there is a zero percent chance of all parks being closed at the same time. Don’t worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter