I need some cooking help using an oven for steaks and pot roast.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
I am not a cook and I am getting ready to go on vacation and I plan to cook.

I use a George Forman Grill to make my steaks at home, but I'm not going to take it with me since I'm flying.

This oven has a broiler under the oven. Do I cook the steak in the broiler part or the oven part. I'm in no hurry to cook it. I think that the oven knob says bake and broil. Which knob should I use and temperture and about how long for a one inch ribeye steak.

Second, I usually make a 4-lb post roast in my slow cooker, but I'm not taking my slow cooker on a flght, either. I will use a glass, covered pot or carresole(sp.) or whatever it's called.

I need the same information as above.

Take in consideration that I am an idiot when it comes to basic baking or broiling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in Advance, Ray :)

You should broil the steaks. You'll turn the knob that says Bake and Broil to Broil, and there should also be a Broil on the temperature knob. Put the rack about 4-6 inches under the top burner. Crack the door about 2 inches while you're broiling so it doesn't get smokey in there. (You may need to take the batteries out of the smoke detector for that.) Make sure the steaks are thin, and turn them half way through. Hopefully, you'll have a broiling pan that has a rack over a pan. If so, put a thin layer of water in the pan. That way when the fat drips off the steak, it will disolve in the water and the pan will be much easier to wash.

The pot roast can be cooked either on the stove or in the oven. Basically, you brown it on all sides, then add some cut up veggies and seasoning, and then simmer it or bake it with the lid on. Usually people use a Dutch oven just because you can use it for browning and baking, but a casserole dish should work if you don't have one. Here's a basic pot roast recipe on allrecipes.com. There are tons of variations. I like to use a small (about 4 oz) bottle of horshradish sauce instead of seasonings sometimes.

Thank you, Kermit.

Did everyone know that Kermit is our "prayer warrior" on the CB at the top of the forum.

Ray :)

Ray -I'm glad Kermit was able to answer your question. Have a great vacation! We want to hear all about it when you get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter