I THINK I WANT TO DO A DISNEY ADVENTURE TRIP!!

Vernon slusher

Earning My Ears
What would be a good trip to start with. I dont mind the travel but I guess my real question is can I do an adventure from the cruise I am taking or do I have to do a separate trip schedule?

You can do either. It really depends on what you're looking to do. For many of us, our ABD life started with Back Stage Magic. Its a stand alone 6-nigh trip that covers Hollywood and Disneyland/DCA. Really fun fo those who are big Disney fans.

Since then we've also done ABD's in London/Paris, China and two in Italy. Enjoyed all of them. We booked all of them through Kevin at Dreams Unlimited Travel.

Lots and lots of people do Italy as their first ABD. It's extremely popular.

You can add an ABD to several DCL cruises; you'd need to check with ABD to see if the cruise you are taking has an ABD add-on, and if there's space available.

There is a MUCH larger selection of land trips and river cruises than DCL add-ons.

Sayhello

I personally would do a land based ABD first, to witness the "full" experience! We have been on five ABDs so far - by the end of each adventure we have left with LIFELONG friends. It's such an immersive experience - and the guides are like your "favorite cousin"! The cruise based ABDs are not as intensively group based nor do you make the same deep connection with the guides. But, whatever you decide, GO!!!

One way to answer the question is to suggest the most popular ABD trips, since those are time-tested and probably make the best introductory trips. I'm guessing the most popular are:
  • Italy (Rome/Florence/Venice)
  • Disneyland/SoCal (Backstage Magic)
  • Wyoming
  • England/France
Any others that should be added to that?

Where do you want to go? That should be the guiding force here. Then, after you narrow it down, come back read recent trip reports and ask questions. You will get answers.

The land trips are great. We did the Italy trip (Rome, Florence, Venice) even though it was a trip we could have totally done on our own. But the special touches are amazing - when I compare our Sistine Chapel experience with anyone else's, they are just speechless. I mean, we were in the Chapel for a half hour, while our guide talked to us about it, with just 40 people (our 34 member tour, three guides and 3 security officers). Compare to the normal experience - 5 minutes, no talking, with hundreds in a normal tour. (And we even got to take pictures, although that is not guaranteed.) And the fast passes to David and St. Mark's, etc. (Also a great trip for picky eating kids, as pasta, pizza and gelato are staples of the diet.)

We are going to try a river cruise next as that is what DD wants to do for her HS grad trip, but it will be a different experience just due to the size and number of guides. After that, looking at SE Asia and (post-virus, China), as they are not places I feel comfortable traveling on my own. (And hopefully Backstage Magic, at some point.)

But, if money and vacation time were unlimited, I'd also do the Rhone river cruise, Peru, Norway, Greece, Southern Italy, Germany, and South Africa.

One way to answer the question is to suggest the most popular ABD trips, since those are time-tested and probably make the best introductory trips. I'm guessing the most popular are:
  • Italy (Rome/Florence/Venice)
  • Disneyland/SoCal (Backstage Magic)
  • Wyoming
  • England/France
Any others that should be added to that?
Spain and Central Europe were two of our favorites! Spain was so different in each region - amazing to experience. Central Europe is a must for Sound of Music fans. We also did Germany, so it was a nice background to have when we were in Vienna at the Palace. Sisi!!!!

Lots and lots of people do Italy as their first ABD. It's extremely popular.

You can add an ABD to several DCL cruises; you'd need to check with ABD to see if the cruise you are taking has an ABD add-on, and if there's space available.

There is a MUCH larger selection of land trips and river cruises than DCL add-ons.

Sayhello
I had no idea! That's so cool.. Thanks for the info

What would be a good trip to start with. I dont mind the travel but I guess my real question is can I do an adventure from the cruise I am taking or do I have to do a separate trip schedule?
I was in the Galapagos with a group from ABD. A tip one of them had was she used ABD for places where she would not feel comfortable traveling on their own, because of language or cultural differences. Just something to consider.

What do you think for London/Paris? I know those are both huge/crazy cities. Think it is a little intense for kids - 9+ years of age? Or no, there is a good pace to the trips?

Thanks

What do you think for London/Paris? I know those are both huge/crazy cities. Think it is a little intense for kids - 9+ years of age? Or no, there is a good pace to the trips?

Thanks

You'll hear it over and over but its true - you know your kids the best. There are many kids less than 9 years old that are not only well traveled but good at traveling. We just did Viva Italia with our 7 year old - there were plenty of kids on that trip and several his age range. We are doing London/Paris in a few weeks so I can let you know how that goes, but our son does well with these kinds of things and has traveled internationally since he was 6 months old. It really just depends on your kid. ABD does a wonderful job with them though...that can't be understated.

I echo this - just depends on your kids. Are they good travelers and good eaters, when the options are different from home?

These trips tend to be a lot of activity. Kids get tired out, at all ages (I have great pictures of my teenagers sleeping on the bus on our Italy ABD last summer). Heck, I even dosed off a time or two.

I think that the question is whether you will feel that you had a good experience (and got good value) if you need to skip some of the events or call it a night early, etc.? For instance, on our trip, most of the families elected to head back to the hotel from Florence early to relax some.

And do know that ABD does a good job keeping that big city thing in the shadows. They know where to go, they have transportation arranged, they meet you at the airport, they have recommendations for meals on your own, you get arranged access to big attractions, etc. And they pace the trips well. For instance, in between the time in Rome and Venice, we spent time in the Tuscan country side, at a farm and a castle. For the London/Paris trip, don't they do some time in Windsor to get out of the cities for a while?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!