I thought MS could swap out the points used on a DVC reservation???

Avery&Todd

DIS Veteran
So, I booked out cancelled June trip to CCV to Dec. 17-23rd and then we just found out that DS's college holiday dates are changing and he will be home after Thanksgiving to the beginning of January so I thought I'd try to get our Christmas trip moved up..

I started stalking the DVC reservations and was able to find Dec. 10-15th this morning, and once again in a panic I booked it and "borrowed" 195 pts from 2021 since all my 2020 points were tied up thinking I could call MS and have them shift my points around...and then I cancelled the Dec. 17-23rd trip and the 240 pts were put back into 2020. (I now know that I should have/could have amended the 17-23rd trip....ARGH!)

I called MS this morning and was told I could NOT swap out my points and that I had to leave it like it was...and the only way they can change the points is to cancel my Dec 10th and then rebook it with 2020 pts and with "waitlists waiting they could take my dates while I'm swapping your dates so there is nothing I can do for you"...

ARGH!! I thought I read on here that MS could swap out points on our reservations??

What did I do wrong, except for not amending my original Dec. 17th trip?? I'm learning so many friggin lessons....

Now what? I risk it and rebook my reservation?? Call MS again??

OOHHH, and I asked the MS agent I got about the whole borrowing restriction that I can't borrow more than 50% points needed for my trip and since I had to borrow is 195 points (basically the whole trip) that wouldn't that mean that my trip would be cancelled within 7 days?
She said she didn't know about that...how could she NOT KNOW??

ARGH!

Try modifying the reservation you want. Don't change dates or resorts or anything else. Just use the modify button. Go all the way through the modification process. The system may change points for you. If not, call MS back and see if someone else can help you,

The system will always pull borrowed points before current UY points,

So, if the reservation you want is using the borrowed points, then even modifying won’t pull in the current UY points you have from the canceled dates.

Are there any dates left at the beginning or end of the trip to book with the current UY points and then you can cancel and free up the borrowed points?

From what is reported, you will get a call about the borrowing before it is canceled, but I don’t know if they will have the ability to swap without the risk of losing any part of what you did.

The system will always pull borrowed points before current UY points,

So, if the reservation you want is using the borrowed points, then even modifying won’t pull in the current UY points you have from the canceled dates.

Are there any dates left at the beginning or end of the trip to book with the current UY points and then you can cancel and free up the borrowed points?

From what is reported, you will get a call about the borrowing before it is canceled, but I don’t know if they will have the ability to swap without the risk of losing any part of what you did.

ARGH!!! THERE IS NOTHING OPEN at the beginning or end....this is CCV at Christmas so I was super surprised to see these dates open up this morning..

I'm back on hold with MS right now - if they can't/won't change my points, then I might have to cancel the reservation and rebook it late at night hoping someone doesn't snag the dates before I can rebook it...

WHY OH WHY did I think that MS could change my points used???

Don't worry OP- I thought MS could do the same thing. I had an April reservation (using banked, current and borrowed points). When I knew we weren't going and they announced that borrowing would be returned, I made a new reservation for Thanksgiving week- grabbing what I could which took less points- thinking I will just call MS to have them reallocate the points. I have called several times, did chat, emails asking if they could switch the points so the leftover points could be the borrowed points and they could be returned to my Dec 2020 UY but I have been told each time the only way is to cancel and rebook, with the chance of losing the original reservation. I can't risk that. You are not alone!!

Don't worry OP- I thought MS could do the same thing. I had an April reservation (using banked, current and borrowed points). When I knew we weren't going and they announced that borrowing would be returned, I made a new reservation for Thanksgiving week- grabbing what I could which took less points- thinking I will just call MS to have them reallocate the points. I have called several times, did chat, emails asking if they could switch the points so the leftover points could be the borrowed points and they could be returned to my Dec 2020 UY but I have been told each time the only way is to cancel and rebook, with the chance of losing the original reservation. I can't risk that. You are not alone!!
UGH - on hold with MS right now - they're having to CANCEL my reservation and then wait for the points to go back into the correct use year and THEN try to rebook my dates....

My fingers are crossed and my breath is held and I just KNOW that my dates will be gone - so I have them booking 4 nights for the original dates - I'm SUCH an idiot...

but I have learned so many lessons today and with this process!! :headache::headache:

oh, and the MS agent I'm talking to now says he HAS to cancel my Dec. 10th trip anyway since he knows that I violated the borrowing policy right now..

and the worst part of this whole thing was when DH and I were talking about it this morning he said to me..."why can't you just wait and call MS when they open, I don't want you messing this up"...and I said..."I can do this -I know what I'm doing and MS can swap out my points - it's NOT A PROBLEM"...

great - now I get to hear "I told you so" from DH...:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG....so the wonderful MS was able to cancel and rebook my reservation for Dec. 10-15th...so we are SET!! I still have a waitlist for the night before and after to try to get back our 6th night but THANK GOODNESS I dont have to listen to DH give me the old "I told you so"!!!

and this wonderful guy suggested that I sign up for a "member education" lesson with DVC once that department opens back up - apparently (and obviously) he thinks I have a lot to learn!!

bless my heart! :lovestruc :lovestruc

Happy for you. Hope you find the other two nights you want. Good luck!
THANKS!! Fingers crossed!! and I did confess to DH about my trials and tribulations this morning (He had to go out to work for a while) and he said...."so what lessons did you learn this morning"..and I went off telling him about amending reservations, etc. and he said "Nope, the lesson you learned was always listen to your husband"!

HA!....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

we'll see about that!

and this wonderful guy suggested that I sign up for a "member education" lesson with DVC once that department opens back up - apparently (and obviously) he thinks I have a lot to learn!!

bless my heart! :lovestruc :lovestruc

I'm so happy for you that you have at least part of the reservation that you wanted, I hope you're able to get it all. I think we all may need to sign up for the "member education" lesson when this is all over. I know I have had my eyes opened about many things related to DVC and I'm sure I'm not alone. Hoping for the best for you and your family. :tink:

Last edited:
As I was reading down this thread, I expected it to end with frustration and annoyance. What a pleasure to find a happy ending!

I'm so happy for you that you have at least part of the reservation that you wanted, I hope you able to get it all. I think we all may need to sign up for the "member education" lesson when this is all over. I know I have had my eyes opened about many things related to DVC and I'm sure I'm not alone. Hoping for the best for you and your family. :tink:
and I know we had that discussion shortly after we bought, but that was Feb 2019 and honestly, we were just using our membership for the first time this past June (which was cancelled) and you're told all these things and rules and procedures but I think it just went zipping over my head since I wasn't familiar with the lingo...

but I'm learning!

As I was reading down this thread, I expected it to end with frustration and annoyance. What a pleasure to find a happy ending!
it was a great ending to my biggest mistake! and I waited to cry until after I hung up!! The MS agent told me he was happy he was able to give us as little pixie dust for our Welcome Home visit - and I know he didnt just swap out our points like I was hoping he could/would because I got a whole new reservation number!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter