I thought you said "rum!" Training for the Dumbo Double Dare!

pxefig

DIS Veteran
Hey, everyone! This is my pre-trip report/training report. Welcome, foolish mortals.
About me:
I am 32 years old and I am a stay at home mom. DDI is 8, DDG is 6, DSR is 3 and DSC is 2. I also attend college full time taking mostly online classes and should be done with my bachelors by Dec. 2013.
Weighty issues:
I net gained more than 80 pounds between the four kids over six years. I’ve lost about 30 of those pounds but it has been slow going. For years it feels like I was just trying to survive from day to day, much less scrounge up the energy and motivation to go beyond what needed to be done to lose weight. But three days ago my youngest turned two and I decided it’s time to focus energy on making the weight loss happen.
The deal:
DH knows I’ve wanted to do a Disney race, so if I can lose 50 pounds by the end of August, I will be doing the Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare. If I lose two pounds a week it is doable but will definitely require diligence and sacrifice on my part. But, as I said, I’m ready and want this to happen. As an added bonus, DH loves the Food and Wine festival so I’m sure I would be able to convince him to take a weekend trip in Nov. for me to get my C2C medal.
The tools:
By a combination of dieting and working out. I will be using the Fitness Pal app and the Runkeeper app.
Why Disney?
I have always loved Disney. My first trip to Disney World was when I was nine. I ended up moving down to Florida and working there from 1999-2001 before I joined the Navy. When I was stationed in San Diego I had an annual pass to Disneyland and went as often as I could. I have been to either WDW or DL every year since 1998, with the exception of 2012. But I went to Aulani so I still worked in a trip where I got to hug Mickey, so I say that counts! I have done every ride and attraction and have stayed at every WDW resort with the exception of BLT and AoA. I’ve eaten at most of the restaurants- I definitely can’t say all and since menus change so often even if it had been all it doesn’t really count since the food has probably changed. Disney races are a wealth of untapped Disney experiences just waiting for me to claim!
My relationship to running:
I’ve never been a “runner.” I’ve never even been athletic. In high school I was in choir and theater. In 2001 I joined the Navy and had my first encounter with regular exercise in boot camp. Surprisingly, I was able to run the physical test in the required time. I never finished with e whole lot of time to spare, but I learned if I just kept putting one foot in front of the other I could run whatever distance was asked of me without stopping. But I hated EVERY MINUTE of it. Group runs felt like death marches. I never had a moment where I got what people were talking about when they chose to run. My legs hurt, my feet hurt, my back hurt. It hurt to breathe. And they wanted us to sing cadence!
Last summer I started running again mostly because it was free and I could do it whenever for however long I had available. But this time I used the Jeff Galloway run/walk training and it has really changed my attitude. In the Navy, if you ever walked even one step you were considered weak, so it was quite the mental adjustment to tell myself it’s okay to walk. But guess what? I don’t hate it. The walk breaks give me a chance to catch my breath and work a different set of leg muscles so none of them get overly fatigued and it has eliminated the “this feels like torture” aspect of running. And as a mom of four, it’s nice to have something that is mine and just for me. There is no one following me or talking to me and I get to just be in my own head so that was an unexpected bonus of all of this.
I finished my first 5K in June 2012 and my first local half marathon in Sept. 2012. My next half in the Rock and Roll Half at the end of March.
Why post here?
Well, I do want some accountability for myself. I want to think about what I’m doing and how I’m doing it. As a SAHM not native to where I am living it has been extremely difficult for me to make friends so I like the community and social aspect of this forum- I really would like some support! I’ll probably just do a weekly summary of miles run and lesson learned from the week.
Thanks for stopping by!

At my heaviest:

Since I've lost 30 pounds:

Good ol' days (Hi, young Megan!:wave2:):

[This space is reserved for my DDD photo!]

Good luck!

I can see a big difference between the two pics.

Thanks for the luck! I'll take anything I can get :goodvibes
Thanks for saying you can see a difference, too. Of course looking in the mirror it doesn't seems like a big difference to me, but when browsing through the pictures it gives me a sense that the heard work it going to be worth it because it does seem to be noticeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter