I would like some feedback on buying a Aulani resale contract

Cris&Cris

Earning My Ears
We live in Europe and visit Disney world every year. So we are considering buying a DVC resale contract and are going through the options. We are a couple no kids and are happy to stay at Saratoga if there is no closer to a park availability at 7 months, we like Disney springs in the evening.
So is there any reason people can think of not to get a Aulani contract as you can get more points for your buck so to say in our case at the moment? I'm sure we will visit Aulani once or twice but other that will make no use of the then our home resort.

Look at a subsidized contract with the lesser maintenance fees.

Otherwise, I thought SSR was cheapest in terms of buy-in and MF?

You are still likely to be better off with SSR so you can book at 11 months and have lower annual costs.

When do you want to visit? Sometimes, at 7 months, especially in the fall through January can be difficult,

If I were you, I’d buy SSR so you can book on property and don’t hsve to wait until 7 months.

Another vote for SSR. The dues at Aulani are higher than SSR, unless you find a subsidized Aulani contract. The price per point of a subsidized Aulani will likely be close to that of SSR. Run projections including dues with annual increases for the expected length of ownership. Also take into consideration closing costs in Hawaii + HARPTA issues compared to purchasing a Florida resort. I think the price delta will be much narrower than expected and may actually favor SSR, depending on your data points. Which is the long winded version of saying when the price difference is a virtual wash, choose the option where the 11 month home booking advantage will be the most helpful.

Thank you all for your insights! It seems pretty unanimous.

@Sandisw Good point, we like to visit the period just before thanksgiving and I see now that availability can be very low.

Yep, SSR is your best best. Even Subsidized Aulani contracts dues aren’t much cheaper MFs wise than SSR, and I believe will outpace SSR in 5 years time.

If you plan on mainly WDW, than only SSR makes sense in my mind. I own Aulani because I see myself in Hawaii at least 2 years out of 3 years, and only see myself at WDW 1 year out of 3 or 4 years.

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!