Ibotta: Sams Club Membership purchase

confettiandkale

Earning My Ears
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone had experience purchasing the “gift” option of a Sams membership & then submitting the receipt to Ibotta for the $10 cash back? (It’s the cardboard/gift card you pick up on the warehouse floor and ring through at the register). I’ve always just renewed at customer service & last year I successfully submitted the receipt to Ibotta & got the $10.

Sams is having a one-day sale this Sat 12/15, and they have the regular membership on sale for $36 (from $45), figured it’d make a good deal if I could essentially “prepay” for my next years membership.

I hope my question makes sense to someone other than me & TIA!

I was wondering if I could buy one of these today and then turn around and use it to pay for my renewal??? My dues are coming up in a week.

I was wondering if I could buy one of these today and then turn around and use it to pay for my renewal??? My dues are coming up in a week.

I believe so. When I purchased mine in store the cashier told me twice it was for memberships only, I told her I was using it to renew next month. When I passed customer service on the way out there was a long line with people holding the cards in their hands-probably waiting to renew or join would be my guess!

I went to purchase one in store and they said it wouldn't work for renewals, only new memberships. Frustrating they cannot give loyal customers a few dollars off.

Doesn't surprise me you can only use to buy a NEW membership. They make money off of selling memberships and then getting you to continue to shop there. Stores liked Costco/Sam's club tend to sell a lot of products in HUGE packages. You have to know your unit prices to make sure you are actually getting a bargain vs other stores. If you buy a pound of some seldom used herb/spice and it goes stale before you use it up, then it really wasn't a bargain after all.

I went to purchase one in store and they said it wouldn't work for renewals, only new memberships. Frustrating they cannot give loyal customers a few dollars off.

That’s unfortunate, especially when it says you can use it for renewals on their own website! This is from the product page:
  • A Gift of Membership Card may be used only towards Sam’s Club membership fees at Sam’s Club’s physical locations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Membership fees are limited to fees for purchasing, renewing, adding on, and upgrading Sam’s Club memberships.
  • A Gift of Membership Card cannot be used to purchase merchandise

If you buy a pound of some seldom used herb/spice and it goes stale before you use it up, then it really wasn't a bargain after all.

Actually, I've found the opposite to be true. First of all, it doesn't make sense to buy seldom used spices in bulk. I hope that wouldn't be a buying strategy for a budget minded shopper.

But, salt doesn't go bad and there are lots of things that we use regularly that can be bought in bulk and are indeed a savings and of excellent quality.

^^ Actually, I think we are saying the same thing. Even with paper towels, if they cost $1/roll at Wal-marts, but Sam's club sells a 10 pack for $10......you haven't really saved anything.

Just an update: I have yet to apply the “gift membership” to my renewal as I’m not due to renew until February, but I did try to submit my receipt to both Ibotta & Shopkick and they both denied my claim-probably because the cashier rang it through as a “cash card” and not a membership card. I’m going to try and contact both companies and submit a photo of the card I purchased and see if they will credit me anything!

If not, at least I saved 20% off the cost of the renewal anyways!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!