Iceland Meets Thread

The Blue Lagoon is a pretty good ride from the hotel in Reykjavik. Car service and taxi rides are quite expensive in Iceland so hopefully Kevin can find you a reasonably priced ride. We went last year and they were building a hotel next to the Blue Lagoon but there is really nothing around the Blue Lagoon but rocks and rocks and rocks. No town close.

We’re on the 11 Aug trip, departing Dulles the afternoon of the 9th. Kevin told us ABD was only offering one pre-night so we self-booked the Reykjavik Marina 9 Aug and asked Kevin to arrange the night of the 10th; there were plenty of rooms available. We considered doing the Blue Lagoon on Friday the 10th but decided Sat AM makes the most sense, Kevin confirmed ABD would work with us on transportation from the hotel to the spa. He also sent the same Blue Lagoon outline I posted on page 2 of this thread.
The Blue Lagoon is a pretty good ride from the hotel in Reykjavik. Car service and taxi rides are quite expensive in Iceland so hopefully Kevin can find you a reasonably priced ride. We went last year and they were building a hotel next to the Blue Lagoon but there is really nothing around the Blue Lagoon but rocks and rocks and rocks. No town close.
That's one reason I'm glad they're including it on the ride from the airport, @carpenta . I added an extra day myself the same as you, @Rake 08, but I'm going ahead and doing the Blue Lagoon on the way from the airport, since I'm stuck with a red-eye, and arrive early morning. I figure it will be a nice way to unwind and relax after the flight! I also like the idea of not having to worry about my luggage, since ABD will be taking care of that, too!

Sayhello

Great idea about doing the Blue Lagoon on after the red eye. You will be very relaxed I guarantee. Even has a swim up bar to help with the relaxation.

We’re on the 11 Aug trip, departing Dulles the afternoon of the 9th. Kevin told us ABD was only offering one pre-night so we self-booked the Reykjavik Marina 9 Aug and asked Kevin to arrange the night of the 10th; there were plenty of rooms available. We considered doing the Blue Lagoon on Friday the 10th but decided Sat AM makes the most sense, Kevin confirmed ABD would work with us on transportation from the hotel to the spa. He also sent the same Blue Lagoon outline I posted on page 2 of this thread.
We had the same request - we want to go to the Blue Lagoon on our second day. ABD at first said this could be done, but when I talked to them yesterday it wasn't clear whether that's possible, or if we are required to go only on our arrival day. The vacationista is researching this and will call me back on Monday.

If it were just DH and me, I would do it straight from the airport on arrival day. But because we'll have the kids with us, I'm concerned about how exhausted they'll be. Our flight lands at 6:20am, so if we got to the Blue Lagoon at 8:30 or 9, would they really be able to enjoy themselves there until 1:30pm? (Boys ages 10 and 13.) I'm not sure the logistics of doing this upon arrival are that great. We'll see what ABD says on Monday.

Also, I asked about our group. We have 36 total, which will be fine. But I am so sad DC Photogal and Cousin Orville switched from being on our trip, because we are down to only 7 kids out of that group of 36!! My kids are super bummed about this. Between the flight changes, the Blue Lagoon logistics, and the group make-up this trip is a causing me a little pre-departure anxiety, but I am sure it will be wonderful once we are underway.

Last edited:

On our trip we went with the group on our first trip day (our second) where most were picked up at the airport. We ate breakfast and had the introduction of itinerary and fellow travelers. ALl the logistics were taken care of for us. If going on my own I would into a pre purchase of tickets for there are staggered admission times and I was told only a certain number are admitted per day.

On our trip we went with the group on our first trip day (our second) where most were picked up at the airport. We ate breakfast and had the introduction of itinerary and fellow travelers. ALl the logistics were taken care of for us. If going on my own I would into a pre purchase of tickets for there are staggered admission times and I was told only a certain number are admitted per day.
Yes, I've read that this is true. Some times of day (early morning, evening) you can sometimes get a walk-in, but it's not guaranteed, and there are definitely times during the day when it is most likely to be sold out.

Sayhello

I had a very helpful follow-up from ABD today. We arrive early morning July 20. ABD is going to pick us up and take us straight to the hotel. We are paying for our room the night of the 19th, so we can go straight to the room on the 20th and shower/nap/recover from the barely-overnight flight.

On July 21, the first day of ABD, we will get ourselves to the Blue Lagoon and join our fellow travelers who are going there straight from the airport. ABD will have our reservation set up there. We will enjoy the Blue Lagoon a little more rested, and then we will be taken back to the hotel with the rest of the ABD folks at 1:30.

This is perfect in my book. I do not mind that we have to get ourselves to the BL the morning of the 21st, that seems reasonable since ABD is taking us from airport to hotel on the 20th. Also, shout out to the Vacationista who didn't know the answer on Friday, but researched it and called me back as promised today.

Getting to the BL on your own is very easy. Look on their website for transportation options. They run a bus from Rey regularly.

It sounds like an ideal plan, getting there early.

I will be on the 7/14-7/21 trip with DD 18 and DD 11. Booked a pre-day arriving 7/13 in the morning.

Our plan to depart Dulles mid-day Thursday, arrive late that night, have an easy pre-day in Reykjavik and do the BL on Saturday unraveled when Iceland Air cancelled the afternoon flight. Overnight flights are the only option so we’re leaving Wed PM. We’ll arrive and do the BL Thurs and have plenty of Reykjavik time after that. We’ve booked the Reykjavik Food Walk for Friday.

Our plan to depart Dulles mid-day Thursday, arrive late that night, have an easy pre-day in Reykjavik and do the BL on Saturday unraveled when Iceland Air cancelled the afternoon flight. Overnight flights are the only option so we’re leaving Wed PM. We’ll arrive and do the BL Thurs and have plenty of Reykjavik time after that. We’ve booked the Reykjavik Food Walk for Friday.

Rake, I think you are on the August 11 trip, right? We will fly on Thursday night and do BL on Friday morning. We'll look for you at the hotel that evening!

Which Food walk did you book? I'm looking to do one of those for my pre-day in Reykjavik.

Sayhello

So on a completely different topic, I verified there are 37 people on my Iceland trip the end of August, and our Guides are going to be Stefan Gunnerson and Alyssa.

Sayhello

This same thing happened to me. I am stopping in Iceland on my way to the Rhine River cruise and like you was trying to avoid an overnight flight and wanted to have more time in Iceland. Alas the flight was canceled and now I have only 24 Hours in Iceland and more time in NYC that I didn't really need.

Iceland Air.

I think the lesson here is that I booked flights a little too early. I booked in December for a July trip. Of course, the reason I booked so early was that we wanted that perfect afternoon flight...but next time I will wait a little closer to the actual trip in the hopes flight schedules won't change so much.

This same thing happened to me. I am stopping in Iceland on my way to the Rhine River cruise and like you was trying to avoid an overnight flight and wanted to have more time in Iceland. Alas the flight was canceled and now I have only 24 Hours in Iceland and more time in NYC that I didn't really need.
I was kind of sad that I could not get Icelandair to work for me because I wanted to book that afternoon flight. Now I guess I'm glad it didn't work out...

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!