Iceland Meets Thread

Yes. Arriving 7/13 morning with DD18 and DD11. All very excited. First ABD.
Awesome, it will only be my DH and I. This is our 2nd ABD, our 1st was in 2008 to the Grand Canyon. We took 2 of our kids with us, but they are grown now. Although we hear all the time about how we don't take them anymore. lol

Awesome, it will only be my DH and I. This is our 2nd ABD, our 1st was in 2008 to the Grand Canyon. We took 2 of our kids with us, but they are grown now. Although we hear all the time about how we don't take them anymore. lol
Coming back from 4th of July trip at WDW tomorrow. Need to get my head around what to pack! I definitely want to hear about the Grand Canyon ABD when we meet! Looking forward to it.

Arrived Thurs AM and went to the Blue Lagoon. It was the perfect remedy for an all-night flight; everything went as described in all the other forums. ABD wasn't offering two pre-nights so we booked night one on our own; a superior room on the bay side not luxury but very nice. We had to check out and check back in to our ABD-booked pre-night room this AM. Spent this afternoon on the Reykjavik Food Walk; it was terrific, six stops, great food, nice variety, excellent guide (Ben). Came back and checked in to our ABD-booked room; since ABD has previously booked us on the lake side in Stresa, the Matterhorn side in Zermatt and the Downtown Disneyland side of the DL Hotel I figured we'd have another lovely view of the bay. No such luck, our inside cabin-sized standard room comes with a street view and earplugs. That's a first, I travel often and have never received a welcome pack of earplugs.
IMG_0501.jpg

Arrived Thurs AM and went to the Blue Lagoon. It was the perfect remedy for an all-night flight; everything went as described in all the other forums. ABD wasn't offering two pre-nights so we booked night one on our own; a superior room on the bay side not luxury but very nice. We had to check out and check back in to our ABD-booked pre-night room this AM. Spent this afternoon on the Reykjavik Food Walk; it was terrific, six stops, great food, nice variety, excellent guide (Ben). Came back and checked in to our ABD-booked room; since ABD has previously booked us on the lake side in Stresa, the Matterhorn side in Zermatt and the Downtown Disneyland side of the DL Hotel I figured we'd have another lovely view of the bay. No such luck, our inside cabin-sized standard room comes with a street view and earplugs. That's a first, I travel often and have never received a welcome pack of earplugs.
View attachment 342866
Shoot. I did the same (booked the second pre-night myself) and was really hoping not to have to move rooms from my pre-night to the ABD booked room. Ah, well, I suppose if that's the worst thing that happens, I'll be fine. I have the Reykjavik Food Walk planned for my pre-day, also. Glad to hear it was good!

I'm assuming the hotel held on to your luggage in between rooms?

The earplugs is a little ominous! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!!

Sayhello

CDAABC82-8A4F-4651-A38B-4E91A6478DB0.jpeg We checked in today too. I hate this hotel room. Poor DD is on a rollaway that is literally pushed up against the sliding door into the tiny cruise ship bathroom. The glass door. That you can see and hear through. There is a sign in the bathroom saying they know it is small and it’s because they want you to not get “too cosy” or you wouldn’t leave. I know they think it’s funny but no.

I am standing against the opposite wall to take this photo. That shadow is DD in the bathroom.

Everything else about this day has been great but we are not fans of the room situation. I guess it’s good we won’t be in it much. And obviously it won’t ruin our trip. But definitely a reality check for a family of 3

ETA - we made it through night one and actually slept really well. We took it upon ourselves to rearrange the room so cot was not against the glass door (now a sofa thing is). Shower did not get whole room wet, much to our surprise. We are laughing at ourselves that this whole trip is going to be us grudgingly admitting that each thing is not so bad.

Last edited:
View attachment 342918 We checked in today too. I hate this hotel room. Poor DD is on a rollaway that is literally pushed up against the sliding door into the tiny cruise ship bathroom. The glass door. That you can see and hear through. There is a sign in the bathroom saying they know it is small and it’s because they want you to not get “too cosy” or you wouldn’t leave. I know they think it’s funny but no.

I am standing against the opposite wall to take this photo. That shadow is DD in the bathroom.

Everything else about this day has been great but we are not fans of the room situation. I guess it’s good we won’t be in it much. And obviously it won’t ruin our trip. But definitely a reality check for a family of 3
OMG! That's ridiculous! I wonder what classification of room this is (this hotel has lots of classifications). I hope it's not indicative of all the hotels! I imagine Reykjavik is a lot busier than most of the other areas, but oh, my!

Glad everything else has gone well!

Sayhello

Shoot. I did the same (booked the second pre-night myself) and was really hoping not to have to move rooms from my pre-night to the ABD booked room. Ah, well, I suppose if that's the worst thing that happens, I'll be fine. I have the Reykjavik Food Walk planned for my pre-day, also. Glad to hear it was good!

I'm assuming the hotel held on to your luggage in between rooms?

The earplugs is a little ominous! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!!

Sayhello

We did leave our bags at the hotel, they stored them in what used to be the workout room right next to the front desk, the hotel staff has been very nice as has everyone else here.

In general within Iceland the hotel rooms are smaller than we are used to :) Our first room in the Marina hotel was the "cosy bathroom" sign. Our last room in the Marina hotel was configured differently and felt larger.

We did leave our bags at the hotel, they stored them in what used to be the workout room right next to the front desk, the hotel staff has been very nice as has everyone else here.
We used that small workout room in July-- have they since taken out the equipment?(Bags were stored near the door, but that didnt interfer with the machines)

For anyone planning to go (or thinking about going) to Iceland, good news! Iceland is dropping all COVID-19 restrictions as of tomorrow (Feb 25th)! No pre-departure testing required for entry, no testing or quarantine on arrival. This doesn't affect the USA's requirements to re-enter the USA, of course.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/iceland-reopening/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3770102&utm_usr=21a7f668795eb664021ef0bfcab4c28ea24b8be79f30ea817fe7c0433cd22fb8&utm_msg=2dfa634328ca491da0746ae064bffccb&utm_date=2022-02-24

Sayhello
Thanks! We are still holding a summer 2022 ABD reservation for Iceland. It may go!

We too have a summer 2022 Iceland trip planned. I really hope the trip goes even if it stays Level 4. Plus, I'm thinking with the CDC potentially changing to focusing on tracking serious cases of Covid vs. just anyone who tested positive, that Iceland, with very low serious cases will come off the Level 4 list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts