Iceland trip report

At the end of today, before the 90 minute ride back to the hotel, we went to a scenic look out, which was really nice. For dinner on our own in town, we chose a nice restaurant within walking distance. For our family of 5, with one alcoholic drink each and only an entree each, the meal was $350. Food here is VERY expensive. We looked at 3 other menus on the way back and they were all the same. Tomorrow night, I think we will do Subway or something equivalent, which seems silly, but it bothers us to pay hundreds of dollars more for dinner when the tour is so costly. I honestly think all meals should be included, so it can feel like a real vacation.

I think this is part of the reason why I don't think I'll be an ABD person, even after we do our trip next year. From what I have seen, ABD's revised itineraries cover fewer meals each time. In 2 week-long TB trips, I have done exactly one meal on my own. Each trip actually covered more meals than suggested by the itinerary, either by adding in a boxed lunch, or giving 20 Euros per person, or just picking up an extra meal. Sometimes they make the reservations for you at the hotel restaurants so that you get to pick the place and time and eat with your family and it's still covered. I don't mind spending $ on a trip, and I clearly anticipate buying souvenirs, etc., but I really do prefer to just pay it in advance, and not have to deal with tipping guide hundreds of dollars or dropping tons of money on food. As a practical concern, we have a child who is allergic to nuts and sesame, and in countries where there is a language barrier, it is so nice to have our needs communicated in advance for meals rather than assuming a risk on our own. I even map out McDonalds locations, if there is one, in advance so that we can have a safe option for my son, if necessary.

Something that I really liked about the river cruise was the fact that it was truly all-inclusive. It was relaxing to not have to worry about spending more money (e.g., whether you really wanted to pay for another glass of wine); you could just focus on having a good time :-) Tips are included also.

Last edited:
I think this is part of the reason why I don't think I'll be an ABD person, even after we do our trip next year. In 2 week-long TB trips, I have done exactly one meal on my own. Each trip actually covered more meals than suggested by the itinerary, either by adding in a boxed lunch, or giving 20 Euros per person, or just picking up an extra meal. Sometimes they make the reservations for you at the hotel restaurants so that you get to pick the place and time and eat with your family and it's still covered. I don't mind spending $ on a trip, and I clearly anticipate buying souvenirs, etc., but I really do prefer to just pay it in advance, and not have to deal with tipping guide hundreds of dollars or dropping tons of money on food. As a practical concern, we have a child who is allergic to nuts and sesame, and in countries where there is a language barrier, it is so nice to have our needs communicated in advance for meals rather than assuming a risk on our own. I even map out McDonalds locations, if there is one, in advance so that we can have a safe option for my son, if necessary.

Totally agree. We have dietary issues too. If this were a less expensive trip, I would understand some meals being on our own, but with this cost, why not give us a boxed lunch today and a voucher tonight or tomorrow in the hotel restaurant. That would only leave one more dinner. We will be driving a lot tomorrow, so I’m sure there would be some place along the way that could accommodate our sized group.

I think this is part of the reason why I don't think I'll be an ABD person, even after we do our trip next year. From what I have seen, ABD's revised itineraries cover fewer meals each time. In 2 week-long TB trips, I have done exactly one meal on my own. Each trip actually covered more meals than suggested by the itinerary, either by adding in a boxed lunch, or giving 20 Euros per person, or just picking up an extra meal. Sometimes they make the reservations for you at the hotel restaurants so that you get to pick the place and time and eat with your family and it's still covered. I don't mind spending $ on a trip, and I clearly anticipate buying souvenirs, etc., but I really do prefer to just pay it in advance, and not have to deal with tipping guide hundreds of dollars or dropping tons of money on food. As a practical concern, we have a child who is allergic to nuts and sesame, and in countries where there is a language barrier, it is so nice to have our needs communicated in advance for meals rather than assuming a risk on our own. I even map out McDonalds locations, if there is one, in advance so that we can have a safe option for my son, if necessary.

It's one of the reasons I am no longer completely loyal to ABD or its biggest cheerleader either. I've noticed this trend in revised itineraries, too, and it's disappointing compared to other tour operators (Nat Geo, REI, Tauck apparently, among others) who include all/nearly all the meals. I also hate having to get out the wallet during vacation and/or carrying around large wads of cash for tips. I would much prefer to have the trip price inclusive of all meals and tips.

We are doing ABD Japan next year (our 7th), but whether we do any more trips in the future with ABD, I don't know. The "other options" thread on this board has been illuminating in so many ways. There are so many other great choices out there in the family high-end travel market with lower max numbers, better policies on trip confirmations, equally awesome guides, and less nickel and diming. I will never forget one of the first times I branched out with NatGeo and being told I could order whatever non-alcoholic drinks I wanted (whenever I wanted during the entire trip) in the bar and just to have them "put it on the NatGeo tab." I could *never* imagine ABD doing that.

It's one of the reasons I am no longer completely loyal to ABD or its biggest cheerleader either. I've noticed this trend in revised itineraries, too, and it's disappointing compared to other tour operators (Nat Geo, REI, Tauck apparently, among others) who include all/nearly all the meals. I also hate having to get out the wallet during vacation and/or carrying around large wads of cash for tips. I would much prefer to have the trip price inclusive of all meals and tips.

We are doing ABD Japan next year (our 7th), but whether we do any more trips in the future with ABD, I don't know. The "other options" thread on this board has been illuminating in so many ways. There are so many other great choices out there in the family high-end travel market with lower max numbers, better policies on trip confirmations, equally awesome guides, and less nickel and diming. I will never forget one of the first times I branched out with NatGeo and being told I could order whatever non-alcoholic drinks I wanted (whenever I wanted during the entire trip) in the bar and just to have them "put it on the NatGeo tab." I could *never* imagine ABD doing that.
Where did you go with NatGeo? How many total people were on that trip with NatGeo?

I will admit I'm a little nervous about our trip now. We fly out of Atlanta tomorrow for Iceland. I'm packing a good many snacks since we are pretty picky eaters. We do not eat seafood, so the Kiddie Menu will be our friend I bet. Glad to know there is a Subway around.

I will admit I'm a little nervous about our trip now. We fly out of Atlanta tomorrow for Iceland. I'm packing a good many snacks since we are pretty picky eaters. We do not eat seafood, so the Kiddie Menu will be our friend I bet. Glad to know there is a Subway around.
There have been lots of kid friendly food offered: pizza, pasta, burgers....I think you’ll be fine

Do other companies include the gratuities to the guides?

@hygienist999 I hope you will continue the post and write about your experiences as well! We are right behind you on the 21st. It definitely sounds like tsgirl's trip has had some bumps in the road, but I really do wonder how much of that is the guides. I think Drew is our guide on the 21st. Our first ABD we had guides that were fine but not amazing (they just weren't very proactive in situations), and our 2nd ABD we had the most outstanding guides ever. It does make a huge difference.

Tauck Bridges as well as Nat. Geo. family trips the tips are included. Tauck let’s you order off the menu in restaurants when the meal is not a group pre planned meal.

@hygienist999 I hope you will continue the post and write about your experiences as well! We are right behind you on the 21st. It definitely sounds like tsgirl's trip has had some bumps in the road, but I really do wonder how much of that is the guides. I think Drew is our guide on the 21st. Our first ABD we had guides that were fine but not amazing (they just weren't very proactive in situations), and our 2nd ABD we had the most outstanding guides ever. It does make a huge difference.
I will try my best to come back and give updates. I called my Vacationista yesterday to make sure we would be picked up at airport. She told me the driver would stay and wait on us and he would be responsible for our luggage. I thought that was interesting as I've not read that before. I like it as it seems we will be dealing with our luggage a lot.

@tsgirl, can’t thank you enough for your regular updates and for being such a good sport about all of us jumping into your report. I’m only sorry you won’t be in our travel group in August - it seems like you look at things with a practical eye yet always ready to find the good stuff.

I’ve had mostly great experiences with ABDs, though the one disappointing one was Southwest Splendors, which most everyone loves. Which just goes to show that there’s always a chance of an “off” trip and that’s not necessarily the norm. But we are feeling cautious with the changes ABD has been making. Definitely going into Iceland next month with an eye to deciding whether to keep our SE Asia trip booked for next year. Having realistic expectations will help so much.

We have also started branching out to other options and find Tauck especially more accommodating than ABD. We have a non Bridges river cruise booked for next year with them and guide tips ARE included. If schlepping our own weight restricted luggage is going to be a thing with ABD now, we will also start looking at Rick Steves tours If we are going to do the work, why pay extra?

Anyway, thanks again for all your info and great attitude and Yay lamb!

@tsgirl, can’t thank you enough for your regular updates and for being such a good sport about all of us jumping into your report. I’m only sorry you won’t be in our travel group in August - it seems like you look at things with a practical eye yet always ready to find the good stuff.

I’ve had mostly great experiences with ABDs, though the one disappointing one was Southwest Splendors, which most everyone loves. Which just goes to show that there’s always a chance of an “off” trip and that’s not necessarily the norm. But we are feeling cautious with the changes ABD has been making. Definitely going into Iceland next month with an eye to deciding whether to keep our SE Asia trip booked for next year. Having realistic expectations will help so much.

We have also started branching out to other options and find Tauck especially more accommodating than ABD. We have a non Bridges river cruise booked for next year with them and guide tips ARE included. If schlepping our own weight restricted luggage is going to be a thing with ABD now, we will also start looking at Rick Steves tours If we are going to do the work, why pay extra?

Thank you for the kind words- much appreciated!

I just wanted to make it clear that even on the ABD river cruises, all tips are included.

We'll see you in Iceland! On our way today. All will be fine-- ABD does an excellent job watching after its guests, and the guides are constantly looking at ways to improve the experience. As to food, part of the experience (to me, anyway) is in discovering things on my own. Box lunches are conveinient, but institutional and bland. Yup, these are expensive trips but many of us have done the math and find you really do get value for your money. My best advice: relax and enjoy the adventure!

I did the coast to coast hike with Nat Geo in England and Patagonia. There were roughly 14 people on each trip. These were active adventures with no kids.
My boys are 13 and 15 and we like active adventures. I’m gonna look into that for our future vacation idea :)

Kristilew, Tauck river cruise boats are superb......you're going to have a wonderful time with the crew. I'm sooooooo jealous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter