Idea for using cell phones from park to park

Brer boy

Mouseketeer
Last year we used radios/cell phones from In Touch to communicate from park to park, but I see they now charge $15 per radio per day. (For 2 radios for 4 days, that's $120! Double what we paid last year). I am not sure the walkie-talkies we have will go from MK to MGM.
So I saw that places like WalMart sell Nokia phones for $40, and you can buy around 30 minutes for $20. If we got one of those and brought our own cell phone down, do you think that would work for keeping in touch with the kids from theme park to theme park?
:confused:

The walkie-talkies won't work park-to-park although they are quite good within a park or resort.

The cell phone idea might work. You just need to be sure you are not paying long-distance rates or roaming fees when using them outside your home area.

A "low tech" method of keeping in touch is to teach everyone how to use the voice mail in the room. You can leave messages for each other and call back to the room to check them. This probably isn't the best for keeping track of children on their own but would work for two families or groups keeping in touch.

A number of people have reported that they have difficulty getting a signal for their cell phones on WDW property, as Disney doesn't allow the phone companies to build repeater towers on property. Folks seem to have more luck from their hotels than from the parks, since most of the hotels are closer to the towers outside the property.

When we went in Nov, part of our group had walkie talkies and cell phones and we had cell phones. I have AT&T and never had a problem with reception or service. Family members from MD (they had some other service--not sure what) could not use theirs unless outside the park (we stayed in a timeshare offsite). Actually, the call would go thru but I could only leave them voicemail messages--the phone would never actually ring.

What we discovered worked best was to set a TIME for a call so that people were sure to not be in an attraction (pre-show or ride). If the call did not go through as planned (and after a few days we figured out it never would) then we had an alternate meeting place (such as if you miss the call at 1:00, then meet at 4:00 in front of xxxx-usually where we were eating).

The walkie talkies got broke after a few days---I think one of the kids had it in his pants pocket and was slung around a ride (maybe RNR???) and it broke.

As always though--regardless of which you decide to use---please remember to have everyone in your party turn the communication device OFF (not just down) inside a preshow, attraction or show.

We've used cell phones the last two times we've gone and had no problem. With roaming each phone cost us $1.00/minute, but we used them just to touch base at pre - arranged times (we owned the phones and have regular plans at home). The first time we were there (1999) I tried to access messages at my room from the park and it couldn't be done (I had told someone to call my room and leave the time and place and I'd get it later.) I was on the phone with Disney central, then the resort for 25 minutes trying to figure out how I'd get me message. I was told the voice mail wasn't really set up to be accessed from outside the room. It may be changed, now. Maybe try to find (via internet) a cell phone provider in Orlando and buy a prepaid one there?

Amazon.com is having a sale in their cell phone dept.You automatically get $50 off a purchase of $100.The Nokia Tracphone (pre paid cell phone) is $49 with free shipping.You could buy the phone and a phone card for $50 total and on top of that they have a $30 Tracphone rebate form on the site!So you would actually only spend about $20.We have one of those phones and it works great,no activation fee or monthly payment.Haven't tried it out at Disney yet,but will try it this fall.

Great idea sis! I found the rebate and am going to try it at WalMart where the phone is $40. (Leaving in 2 days so can't wait for Amazon to ship). Phone will be $10 and will try it down there. Hope it works!:smooth:

Cell phones (with National coverage) is the way to go.

2 way radios are everywhere and most of the time your listening to someone elses location or problems............

If you have a phone already, ask your provider if you can change to national for one month and cancel or change thereafter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter