Ideas for the evening of arrival...

mom2keaton&amos

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
We will be arriving around 1 or 2 in the afternoon so, I don't want to "waste" a day on the hopper pass. What would you suggest doing to get the Magic started? I was planning on going to the CR and riding the monorail through the parks just to get things started but would like some other ideas.

Thanks, oh, I have a 7 year old and a 16 month old.

Jill:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Hello mom2keaton&amos-
We've finally solved that dilema last year by buying annual passes, now we go to the parks if even just for a couple of hours. The monorail doesn't go through the parks, just to them. If you get on the monorail at the CR you can see and visit the Poly and GF and go past the main gate at MK. If you wanted to kill some time, you could ride the monorail around once completely and get off at the TTC from there you could ferry over to MK then just a short walk (about 7 minutes) back to the CR. With 2 kids it might be a bit much. We used to go to Downtown Disney on our late arrival days. There are loads of distractions there for the kids. Ours loved to play at Lego Land. I let my DH watch the kids while I go off and do some shopping in the stores.(That's my Disney World)

Like Mark & Sandra said, Downtown Disney is a good idea. We have gone there & had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe, then let the kids play at Lego Land, in the fountains that shoot up out of the sidewalk (may want to bring a change of clothes), and shop in the stores.

My little guys also love playing in the resort pool on our first day. I think they would be just as content to spend the whole time there on the first day.

You could also do a character dinner at one of the resorts. Chef Mickey's is always fun.

Have a great trip!

When we went in February, we went to Chef Mickeys the first night, it was a great way to start off our vacation. We all had a blast interacting with all the characters, and it was a lot of fun!!

We have been to WDW 12 times. We always go to the grocery store and stock up for the week. We have gone to Downtown Disney and also have gone to Chef Mickey's. We do much better swimming at our pool and relaxing and getting to bed early or going to Down Town Disney. Going to Chef Mickey's the first night makes it way too long of a first day.

Chef Mickeys! If you make an early dinner at Chef Mickey's you can get seeing The Mouse for the first time out of the way. Your kids will love it and you won't have to stand in the long line at Toontown Fair to see him. The food (IMO) is good as is the character interaction. Depending on the day you arrive you might also be able to catch Fantasy in the Sky from the top of the CR after dinner, or maybe the light-up water parade (can't remember the name!) in the lagoon.

Our list:

Check out our resort (maybe go swimming)

Resort hop

Mini Golf

Boardwalk

Rent water mice

Downtown Disney

Go to Downtown Disney, Studio M. You get to see Mickey and have pictures made with him. Also, you can get some or most of the shopping out of the way for souvenirs and then concentrate on the parks the remainder of your stay.

We arrive about the same time, and we're planning to drop off our bags at the hotel (not likely we'll be able to check in early), walk around the Beach Club for a minute or two, then head to Ft. Wilderness for the 5 pm Hoop Dee Do Revue. Afterwards, we'll check in and make a grocery run, letting the kids (and at least one adult!) swim or just explore while the rest of us unpack. In bed by 10 and up for a great start at the parks in the morning!!

We arrive about the same time with our 2 yo DS. I am planning on swimming, resting, unpacking & dinner at O'Hana PS 6pm. Then maybe the water parade/pagent on the lagoon. I think the Boardwalk sounds nice too, but I have not been there yet. Chef Mickey's sounds good too, but we are already having bkfst there. Maybe the campfire at the wilderness lodge? I haven't done this either, but it sounds fun. My understanding is they show a movie and you can 'buy' smore packs for the campfire. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you choose!

I was going to suggest the campfire program at Fort Wilderness. They start with a sing-a-long and Chip and Dale are there. There's a campfire where you can toast marshmallows (bring your own or they do sell them there, complete with sticks for roasting, as well as other snack items). Then they show two movies on the big outdoor screen. The movies usually start too late for our kids, but we love the campfire program, it's great and best of all, free!

Just to clarify; the campfire program is not at Wilderness Lodge but at Fort Wilderness. (The last poster got it right, but I wanted to make sure that you knew which place it was at.) You could hit the dinner buffet at Trail's End early or even order a pizza from Crockett's Tavern then head over to the Campfire and movie. That' always makes for a fun night.

mom2keaton&amos-we usually get in around the same time you do and do not get a pass for the day. We (I) unpack and get everything set for our stay. Then, we always take a ride on the monorail and do Chef Mickeys! I love doing Chef Mickeys before we hit any parks since the "major" characters are there and I don't feel I have to chase them down or look for them in the park (you HAVE to see Mickey and Minnie on a trip to WDW so why not do it at dinner rather than looking for them in the parks). My kids are 8 and 4 so this is a great way to start our trip. You will get great pictures with all the characters and it will keep your little one busy so you can somewhat enjoy your meal. Plan your dinner for the first dinner seating (I think its 5 pm) and then afterward, ride the monorail. If you are not too tired, go to DTD or the Boardwalk. You can see Epcots fireworks over there. Have fun! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter