ideas

martinrmn

DIS Veteran
My wife and I have been wondering about changing from Florida to California next year. I was wondering what is there for us and our son who will be 10 if we go next December? I don't think it fair to have a fly drive as he will be bored for long periods. Is it possible to base ourselves in one place, like Florida, and then drive to areas of interest, like Florida?:confused3

California is a BIG state, so it depends on what you want to do. A lot of people do a Southern California vacation, and visit the L.A. area (Disneyland, Hollywood, Universal Studios, etc.) and San Diego (Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World). Even those places are far enough apart that you would want to stay for several days each place rather than staying in one location and commuting.

Is it possible to base ourselves in one place, like Florida, and then drive to areas of interest, like Florida?
There sure is.

As scooter said, you can stay near Disneyland (in Orange County)
and you’re 30/40 miles from Hollywood/Los Angeles to the north
and about 100 miles from San Diego to the south.

Depending on how long your stay is you’re a days drive away from
San Francisco (about 7 hours) and about 4 hours from Las Vegas.

What types of places of interest are you interested in?

Sounds like I have to do my homework on this. We would like to see Alcatraz, Frisco, drive through Death Valley to see the Grand Canyon and then probably spend time at Disney using it as a base to visit Hollywood and surrounding areas. This sounds expensive so will have to research this.
Thanks for the advice so far.:thumbsup2

I think you need to look at a map... :) San Francisco is a long way from Death Valley, and Death Valley is a long way from the Grand Canyon. Unless you want to spend days just driving, you might want to consider limiting your trip to the SF area and Disneyland (and even then you'll have one long day between SF and DL, unless you fly instead of drive).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter