If one or both of your parents have died

My dad's number is still in my phone. I'd only reconnected with him in October after not knowing how to get a hold of him for years, and he died in January. My brother died in May and his number is still in my phone too. I never really thought about it, honestly - it just never crossed my mind to delete them, and now that I'm thinking about it I don't want to.

I do. Can’t delete it either. My mom passed away and their house phone was under Mom. I couldn’t change it to dad, just couldn’t do it. My dad has now moved to Florida, so his new number is “dad” and I have kept “mom”.

My parents are both alive, but I do have an odd story along these lines. When my DGM died at age 103, after having the same phone number for decades (at least 50 years, if not more), I called AT+T to end the service. The rep seemed more upset than me over her passing, and actually begged me to ask around in the family to see if anyone wanted to have her old house phone number "ported" out and become that person's cell number. The rep said, and I suppose it's true, that tons of us knew that number by heart, so why not keep using it? (And yes, I still remember it XXX-XXX-3454.)

I keep my grandparents' birthdays and anniversaries on my calendar from year to year, and always pause to think about them, how much they meant to me, and what a great example they set for myself and the rest of the family.

Terri

My mom died in 1996. I was 26 at the time. It was before having a cell phone. It was my childhood phone number so I still remember it.

My dad died 3years ago this month. Honestly, i didn’t have his number in my phine. I always called him on our landline. I am sure his number is still on our computer address book though.

My mom died in 2008. Her # is still in my phone. It never occurred to me to delete it.

My Dad before cells phones were that common. I didn't have one to have him in there.
My Mom is still with us but she doesn't text and I always phone her on her home phone not her cell. Her cell number isn't really all that important to me as I rarely ever use it. She doesn't answer it. It's more an emergency thing. I doubt I would have trouble deleting it.

My dad passed away this summer. I still have his phone number in my phone and I have it memorized. A birthday reminder for him popped up on my calendar just this week and I couldn’t bring myself to remove it from the calendar. I felt like I was going to hypervenilate when I saw it. It’s very hard losing someone as close as a parent and the emotions hit at random times. Even months later I’m still somewhat in denial. He lived out of state so it’s easy to just think he’ll be visiting again in a few months. It sucks :(

My dad passed 8 years ago and I deleted his number about 6 years ago when I switched cell phone companies

My mom passed away a few weeks ago and I already deleted her cell number. It was too hard seeing it when I went in my phone. I just needed a clean break

My dad passed away long before cell phones. Two weeks before he died, he wrote my uncles phone number on an index card for me so I could call my uncle for a ride. Instead of calling my uncle for a ride, I had to call and tell him dad had had another heart attack. Two weeks later we had him removed from life support.

I still have that card. He had such beautiful writing.

My parents died in 2012 and 2015. Their numbers, cell and two landlines, are no longer valid, but they're still stored on my phone. Just a small memory that I like having.

My dad passed away 2 years ago. I never called his cell & didn't even have it in my phone. So nothing to delete there. However, my sisters had texted that he was suddenly unresponsive & then a few minutes later that he was gone. I can't bring myself to delete those texts. Even took a screen shot in case they accidentally get deleted.

I hear you...My parents are living, but I have the number of my grandma and my two uncles who have passed away on my phone. At first, it was too sad to delete them. But now, it makes me happy when I see their names.

ETA - I also keep voice mails on my phone of my kids when they were little, and of my mom and dad, just for the memories.

I'm not even sure I had cell phone when my dad died. I don't have his number. I don't know if I would've kept it anyway, because it would've belonged to his witch of a wife after his death (not my mom, not even worthy of being called a step-mom).

NO Why keep it? Not like the number is still connected and will be answered. Land line only thing around with father when he died. Mother was August 28th and immediately removed.

NO Why keep it? Not like the number is still connected and will be answered. Land line only thing around with father when he died. Mother was August 28th and immediately removed.
I don’t think that any of us think that it’ll be answered, it’s the actual deliberate action of having to go in & literally delete something that was so important to me. For me personally, it’s just yet another change the represents the terrible finality of it all that I’m not ready to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter