If we just want to do Christmas stuff...

1m1b

Mouseketeer
How many days should we plan for Epcot and MK? We'll have already hit the parks on previous trips to ride rides, do the shows, etc. If I just want to bring my father and son in to do the christmas/holiday things, how many days should we plan? I got tickets for the Christmas party. I don't think the Jingle Bam will interest us. It seems kind of slow and noisy. Maybe I'm wrong and it's great? I took reservations for the Candlelight Processional Dining for both Monday and Wednesday flanking the Tuesday party. Obviously I only need one or the other. Is there a preference on the 5pm vs. 8pm Processionals? Is Epcot worth two days? Or is MK the better way to go for that 3rd day?

So...

Monday--Epcot with Candlelight Processional dining
Tuesday-MK Christmas party
Wednesday--back to Epcot or to MK or...

Is that good? Or something different? We were at the parks in January and will just have been for another full week, so this is really only for the Christmas stuff. How long does it take to do the themed scavenger hunt in Epcot? Is that plus the storytellers plus... enough that two days would be nice? Or is one day gobs?

Is there something else nifty Christmas-y to do while we're there? I saw about the resort hopping to look at decorations, so I was assuming we'd do that Tuesday morning before the party. Any suggestions on where to eat lunch if we're resort hopping before the party? It's so late, all the dining in the park seems to be gone. Will counter service like Columbia House be open? Even if we eat a late, heavy lunch, like maybe 2pm, we're still going to get hungry again by 10 or midnight, mercy.

I think this is going to blow my father's mind, hehe. I've never been to any of the parties, but it looks pretty over the top amazing. So it's just figuring out how to make this flow. Thanks!

I took reservations for the Candlelight Processional Dining for both Monday and Wednesday flanking the Tuesday party. Obviously I only need one or the other. Is there a preference on the 5pm vs. 8pm Processionals?

The sky is darker at the 8:15PM show making for better visuals.

I think Epcot is worth 2 days if you're into the storytellers. I'd probably do the 8pm CP. We did the 5PM CP once and I think I would enjoy it more if it was completely dark.

I think your Monday/Tuesday plan look good. As for Wednesday.....just decide after the Tuesday night party. You'll know for sure if you want to head back to Epcot or you feel you need more time at the MK.

Ok, this is helpful. So I'll try to hit the 8pm processional and do the later dinner res to hit that. It sounds like there's enough at Epcot to keep us busy two days. I had forgotten about the Joyful singers and the Liberty singers. With all that, two days in Epcot would be fine. I think we're going to be pretty low-key anyway.

Is there a schedule for the Joyful singers and any special christmas entertainment in Epcot? I'm looking on WDWent and haven't found it yet.

I think your plan to do EP for two days is a good one. There really is a lot going on there with the storytellers, singers, etc. And, based on how they schedule it, it would be hard to see it all in one day.

I would suggest eating at one of the resorts while you hop before the Christmas party. GF Cafe is very good and GF is so beautiful at Christmas time. If you have a lot of time to see the resorts, I would also recommend taking a boat over to WL from MK or CR to see the tree and decorations. You could eat there at Whispering Canyon before the party (so fun!) or make a stop on the boat at Ft. W and eat at Trails End. The Wave at CR is good too, but the decorations are better at WL and GF.

Last year, there was also something over at Disney Springs...decorated trees, maybe? The night you're not doing anything else, or arrival night, I'd head over there too.

Last year, there was also something over at Disney Springs...decorated trees, maybe? The night you're not doing anything else, or arrival night, I'd head over there too.
According to Disney Park Blog the tree trail is coming back and will include even more decorated trees. There will also be an scavenger hunt feat. Stitch. Personally I'm waiting for news about the drone show they also had last year, I saw a few videos of it and it looked really cool.

There is also going to be new holiday projections & other themed effects along Sunset Blvd in DHS this year. Don't know how many days in total you are planning to spend at WDW to take in all the holiday things but there is and will be lots to see at DHS at least for a half day later in the day. I agree that you need at least 2 days for EPCOT. FYI normally Columbia Harbor House is one of the distribution locations for the Cocoa & Cookies during MVMCP so they will not be providing the normal dining menu during the party & most likely will close earlier than normal on party days.

Monday--Epcot with Candlelight Processional dining
Tuesday-MK Christmas party
Wednesday--back to Epcot or to MK or...

I think we might be planning the same trip! :santa:
I'm planning a short Christmas-only solo trip and my current itinerary:
Monday- Epcot, Storytellers, Candlelight
Tuesday- Resort Hop + Christmas Party
Wednesday- Still deciding!

I'm thinking I'll figure out what to do with Wednesday after I go through my first two days, although I'm leaning towards Epcot for now! The Studios offerings didn't seem to appeal me...

Doing a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness to see the camp site decorations sounds like it would be a fantastic thing to do, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in. Maybe you can!

Last edited:
They have sleigh rides at Ft Wilderness? What a hoot!! Is that better in the evening?

There is also going to be new holiday projections & other themed effects along Sunset Blvd in DHS this year. Don't know how many days in total you are planning to spend at WDW to take in all the holiday things but there is and will be lots to see at DHS at least for a half day later in the day. I agree that you need at least 2 days for EPCOT. FYI normally Columbia Harbor House is one of the distribution locations for the Cocoa & Cookies during MVMCP so they will not be providing the normal dining menu during the party & most likely will close earlier than normal on party days.

Thank you, that was incredibly helpful.

I highly suggest looking at the resort decorations as you already know but just make sure you are going after thanksgiving because the resorts aren't always set up beforehand.

I just looked at the Party Map for last years MVMCP. Looks like they totally changed the locations for the Cookies & Cocoa last year so Columbia Harbor House stayed open with their normal menu but only until 8PM.

Here's a link to the party map from 2016:http://allears.net/tp/mk/mvmcp/2016-mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party-map.pdf
I asked about this at the MVMCP thread and haven't got an answer yet, thank you! I hope they keep CHH open, it's the only quick service at Magic Kingdom I truly enjoy!

The sky is darker at the 8:15PM show making for better visuals.

It's really a matter of preference. While I agree it's darker at 8:15, if the narrator is someone I am really interested in and want to take photos, I find the lighting of the 5pm show works better for photography than the later shows. Also, if you go to the first show, you aren't standing listening to the show while waiting to get into the theater. I have been to all three show times and most of the time I prefer the earlier show.

According to Disney Park Blog the tree trail is coming back and will include even more decorated trees. There will also be an scavenger hunt feat. Stitch. Personally I'm waiting for news about the drone show they also had last year, I saw a few videos of it and it looked really cool.

Any idea when this might start? We'll be there Nov 8 - 12. Last year we were there when it opened on Nov 11, but we didn't make much effort to get to DS and never did see it, but didn't hear real great things about it either. But now we wonder if maybe we missed something sorta cool, lol, we love Xmas trees! I think this year we'd like to try to see it if it's there on our trip so need to find out when it opens.

Can anyone share anymore on the sleigh ride to see the trees and decorations at Ft. Wilderness? Is it really worth the time? When does it run, for how long does it go, and is there a charge? We love seeing decorations but we've got limited time between Wed afternoon till early evening Sunday.

It'll be nice if you visit the resorts, to see all the cool Gingerbread creations, smells so good and Christmasy!! Love the Christmas music playing in the parks and resorts. I think DhS could be lots of Christmas fun if you can squeeze it in with the Jingle Bam show, as well as the new Christmas festivities that will be on Sunset Blvd this year.
Still really miss Osborne Lights though, but it sounds like Dhs is stepping it up a bit this year which is nice! Always love wandering their decorated Christmas streets, so pretty! And, of course MK is magical, especially the beautiful Castle Dream Lights, love those, my fave way to see the castle!

Hope you have a great Christmas trip!

They have sleigh rides at Ft Wilderness? What a hoot!! Is that better in the evening?

Can anyone share anymore on the sleigh ride to see the trees and decorations at Ft. Wilderness? Is it really worth the time? When does it run, for how long does it go, and is there a charge? We love seeing decorations but we've got limited time between Wed afternoon till early evening Sunday.

I've never done it (I've never even been to Fort Wilderness!), so hopefully someone with more experience can step in. It's a 25-minute horse-drawn 'sleigh' ride for $85. I did a quick perusal of some videos on youtube when I was thinking of booking it for myself, and it seems that many of the campsites really go all out in their decorating. I *think* it's only offered in the evenings during December.

From Disney's site:
Holiday Sleigh Rides
Take in the magic of the holidays with a cozy "sleigh" ride through secluded woodland beauty. Decorated with lights and garlands, these "sleighs" are available during the month of December.

You’ll board your “sleigh” for a 25-minute ride at the main entrance of Crockett’s Tavern at The Cabins and Campsites of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Carriages fit up to 4 adults, or 2 adults and 3 small children.

Each horse-drawn holiday sleigh ride costs $84. Reservations are highly recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance by calling (407) WDW-PLAY or (407) 939-7529. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent of guardian permission to call.

Last edited:
@merfsko Thank you so much, that was so nice of you (and quick, lol!)! Hmm, so I'm thinking $85 for a trip in the sleigh, not per person, but, still that's pretty expensive for just the two of us! But, it could be pretty cool. Unfortunately, we'll miss it this year since our trip is just as the season's opening in Nov. Will definitely consider next time we go in Dec though!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!