IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE YOUR MONEY - a Delightful Westbound Panama Canal Adventure for Kids of All Ages

If you look straight up from the flag on your autographed photo, you will see Susan in the "pinkish" shirt and I'm to her right in the navy!

Ahem.......you left out Mark hanging with us and playing Uno and drinking Long Island port wine the day you were sick. :(

Honey, I was so sick I barely remember that!!

Found your TR the other day and am now caught up. I have really enjoyed reading all about your cruise. You guys really got some great pics, love the ones of the dolphins! Looking forward to reading more.

ZOMBIE SUNSCREEN AND THE TACO TOUR – Puerto Vallarta – PART ONE - May 4

After losing a day to my allergic reaction yesterday, I was hoping for a good day today. The major blotchiness was gone, and the itching had subsided. This was our day in Puerto Vallarta, and our foodie adventure, which I had nicknamed the “taco tour.” When I woke up at seven we were already docked. Captain Puckett mentioned in one of his talks going to “Puerto de Walmart.” He said if you look off the starboard bow when we docked you would see it right across the street, but we couldn’t see anything from our room. After showers and a trip to the Cove Café for Mark’s triple cappuccino, we had a quick breakfast at Cabana’s. Now we could see Puerto de Walmart!!

Someone later told me that we would normally dock where this yacht is. They said it was Denzel Washington’s yacht, and that he’s keeping it here for a month because it’s cheaper than it would be in California. I don’t care either way, but it made a great photo… After breakfast we walked forward on deck nine to return to the room to get our go-bag for the day. We were shocked to see Mickey, Minnie and the gang on the Goofy pool stage rehearsing the Adventures Away sail-away party for the next group of cruisers. HEY! – WE’RE STILL HERE!!!!

I’m on a medication that makes me sunburn very easily, so before we went out for the day I slathered up in what our younger son refers to as “zombie sunscreen” (SPF 85!) to prevent my face looking any worse than it already did. I would also be wearing a wide-brimmed hat. But first, more “visitors.”

We were off the ship a little after nine. Our tour, the Taste of Pitillal (“pee-tee-yal”) from Vallarta Food Tours, departed at 10:30. We had received instructions to take a yellow cab (not the white ones at the port – they’re more expensive) to the gazebo in the town center in the Pitillal neighborhood. Because we left the ship early enough, we walked to Walmart for coffee beans and Mexican vanilla, which everyone says is amazing. We were thrilled to see yellow cabs there, so we wouldn’t have to walk back toward the cab stand outside the controlled port area. The walk there was mildly distressing to me, down narrow sidewalks along busy streets in a somewhat run-down industrial area. Crossing the street at the intersection, there was no crosswalk that I recall, despite the corner being a city bus stop.

Navigating Walmart was a hoot – as one would expect, the signage in the aisles was all in Spanish, but it was easy to look down the aisles and get a good feel for what was there. But where did they put the vanilla? – with the baking items? With the spices? We walked down each aisle again and again, finally walking the full length of one and turning the corner to walk up the next aisle, where we saw the signs in English. So learn from my mistake: from the center aisle, the signs are in Spanish. For English signs, hug the outer aisle, where the dairy and freezer cases are. Our Mexican vanilla was about $2US and the one pound bag of coffee beans was about $6. We would later see the very same vanilla for sale in Cabo san Lucas for $10 each!

Hiring a cab when you have a language barrier is fun, too. Thankfully, a young lady was there to help us, and we were in the Pitillal town square about fifteen minutes later. We met our guide for the day, Ricardo (“call me “Lobo”), and waited for another party of five to join us. Here's Lobo.

As we waited I texted the kids, grateful again for AT&T Mexico, and Mark took some photos around the square. We were entertained by a couple of street dogs. Lobo explained that dogs in Mexico “know their place” – they don’t need to be leashed, because they follow their masters. They don’t get up on the couch or sleep on the bed – that one stung a little, because I wish our Karma would sleep with us. She’s a rescue, and not knowing what she went through before she came to us, we’ve learned she’s just not very “dog-like.” I would be thrilled if she were “doggy” enough to want to sleep with me.

Anyway, around 10:35 our last five people arrived and after introductions Lobo explained the day to us and talked a little bit about the layout and makeup of the neighborhood. The gazebo and church made up the town center; we would be walking about four or five blocks in either direction of it. As we began walking to our first stop, we were warned to be careful of the curb and the cobblestone streets – “there’s no OSHA here in Mexico!” No kidding!...

Carnitas tacos at ten thirty in the morning?! - why not? But I was surprised to see so many people inside the restaurant already. Lobo explained that Mexicans would not eat a big meal at night – they have their larger meal around ten-thirty or eleven, and eat lighter late in the day. We stood outside on the sidewalk to watch the food being prepared on the flat top at the window, the meat braised in coca cola, then shared a large table to sample these amazing tacos, served with hibiscus tea and horchata. There were many bowls of sauces and condiments on the table, to allow us to add heat or flavor as we chose. It was all delicious!

Walking to our next stop, we paused at a little flower shop. Lobo said that because of their subtropical climate, commercial flower growing is a big business. This little doggie caught my eye.

Next, we stopped for churros on a street corner. This gentleman had a propane tank to heat the oil in the pot, and pressed the churro dough out of the die by turning the crank. He tossed these little golden goodies in cinnamon and sugar and we ate them hot, right there on the street, behind a Toyota! They were so good one of the ladies bought us a second bag!

We didn't eat here, but we couldn't help but notice a gentleman with a leg of beef over his shoulder walking into a business. Here's the rest of Mister Cow. It appears there is also no county health department in Mexico...

Next, we paid a quick visit to a shop selling bulk foods and herbs/barks/roots for all your medicinal needs. It was a tiny, claustrophobic little place, but fascinating to us. So much color, so many little bins of things…No one needed to buy anything, but we took lots of photographs!

Last edited:

that sounds like a delicious test, I would have stocked up on Costco vanilla if I knew the price would quadruple.

Linda, I finally found time to get all caught up on reading - the writing of mine is going to have to wait, I'm afraid. So sorry you were sick that day, nothing worse than feeling under the weather on vacation. The chocolate and liquor tasting looked great.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the cabin crawl, it was one of my favourite group events on board.

Thank you for all the effort you have put in to writing this, it's great reliving the memories.

Linda, I finally found time to get all caught up on reading - the writing of mine is going to have to wait, I'm afraid. So sorry you were sick that day, nothing worse than feeling under the weather on vacation. The chocolate and liquor tasting looked great.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the cabin crawl, it was one of my favourite group events on board.

Thank you for all the effort you have put in to writing this, it's great reliving the memories.

Thank you for organizing it! I'll look forward to your report, whenever you can get back to it!

Loving your report! This cruise is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

You will love it!

THE TACO TOUR, PART TWO

Walking toward our next adventure, we stopped to see the local church. The interior was being painted, but despite that, I found it very striking, and different from other Catholic churches I’ve seen. Lobo explained that the designer did not want the focal point of the church to be a suffering Christ on the cross, and chose instead to showcase this rising Christ, carved from a single log.

Our third dish would be enjoyed in a lovely outdoor restaurant under a jackfruit tree. By using awnings, they had created the feeling of being inside a building. The need to turn on a large fan at times helped us remember, however, that we were indeed outdoors!

Here, we would sample goat stew. I think my head spun around when I heard that, but I came here to have an experience, so I would do it. But what about my mainly vegetarian husband? “When in Rome…,” he said! This was a thin soup, with finely chopped cabbage and onions on top. Handmade tortillas and tamarind tea accompanied the soup. I’m pleased to report it was delicious, and tasted like beef. In fact, at the end of our tour when Lobo asked what everyone’s favorite item was, I had to admit it was this.

Up next, we would get another look at life in Pitillal. We visited a saddle maker, working in the area above their shop. The late owner’s wife ran the shop while her son and three other men worked upstairs. I have to assume the family lived on the third floor. This is the mother; she later warmed up to us, especially since one of the other ladies purchased a handbag from her.

Here, in this tiny space, these men were making saddles that would later sell for a thousand dollars in the States! All the work was done by hand, and bits of leather and pots of dye and glue were everywhere.

One of the ladies in our group was a horsewoman and she was very impressed with their work!

Walking to our next stop, we came across this young man selling fruit in the street. I could not risk eating it, but although they look like cherries, these yellow fruits were described as being rather chalky. Mark agreed with Lobo’s assessment. But putting them in spice helped take away the chalkiness and make them more palatable; those are the red fruits. I can’t recall the name of it, I’m afraid.

Last edited:
Soon after, we were ready to sit down for a seafood offering: seafood ceviche tostadas. The owner first brought us shrimp broth, with a single cooked shrimp. The flavor was very intense; this had obviously been simmered for a long time.

Next was the tostada, with shrimp, scallops, and octopus, garnished with avocado slices. It was delicious, and we ate every bite!

The décor was a little strange, though…

How do you top that? With a trip to see a lady Lobo described as “my aunt.” On the long walk to her neighborhood we paused for several other opportunities. We got to see a printer setting up his press, right there next to the sidewalk. He lived, as most families do, above the shop.

After a talk with the other party in the group about a local chain offering chicken, Lobo asked if they had ever tried the potatoes they roast under the chickens, catching the flavorful drippings. That led to an impromptu tasting on the street corner.

Walking up the street, we stopped at this fruit market. The colors were amazing, and the sweet smell of ripe fruit was delightful.

There was certainly no excuse for not getting your fruits and veggies in this town!

Last edited:
We were in Puerto Vallarta in May for a wedding and saw that Yacht and were so curious about it. Thanks for sharing. Wish we had a tour like that. Just didn't have the time.

TACO TOUR, part THREE

Finally, we walked through a gate into a lovely garden outside “my aunt’s house.” I don’t think this was his real aunt; rather, one of those women everyone looks to as a mother figure.

Lobo explained that these ladies prepare tamales for hotel kitchens through the week, and operate as a restaurant on a few days of the week. In their mission to bring good food to the people of their neighborhood, these ladies offer a large meal featuring the softest, puffiest tamale I’ve ever had for only a few dollars US ( the Plato Mexicano at the bottom of the menu sells for 120 pesos, or $5.50 US).

They sit around a large table, assembly-line style, putting the masa into the cornhusks, spooning filling onto the masa and tying the whole package closed, until they have a pot full.

Then the tamales are steamed in these huge kettles.

And just like that, our tour was over. We had been walking and eating for almost three hours when we returned to the church on the square and turned the corner. Then Lobo took us inside one more tiny shop, announcing that he couldn’t let us leave without dessert – handmade lime popsicles! What a refreshing end to our culinary adventure!

We both had an amazing time on this tour, and cannot recommend it highly enough. The price of $49 per person included the cost of all the food and any gratuities incurred at the places we visited. There are other tours offered by Vallarta Tours – check them out at www.vallartafoodtours.com

Mark wrote up an extensive review for Trip Advisor, which you can read here. We even went to the Port Adventures desk later, recommending DCL consider sponsoring this tour.

After saying goodbye to our group, and generously tipping Lobo, he put us in a cab back to the ship. We arrived about an hour before we were to depart, and I was glad we had gone to Walmart first. After getting wanded for my artificial knees setting off the alarm on reentering the ship, we found ourselves in a huge line of people, and it was very confusing! I heard a woman say to someone across the room “I’m after you,” and I realized this was the line to check in liquor! We made our way past them, then took an elevator up to the pool deck for cold drinks, ice cream cones, and photographs of the port area.

IMG_7744_zpsqdtvgcyg.png

We were walking around deck ten and someone said something about “did you see it?” We didn’t know what they were talking about, but thinking “it” was some kind of sea life, we walked forward to check it out. There were a few people gathered at the rail, and they told us there was a forklift in the water.

We went to deck four to get a better look at that, and guess who was there to watch for runners? Uh huh – Adam and Shoshana, with their darling little girl. Mark and Adam took off to get a better look, and Captain Robert came over the loudspeaker to announce that we would be late departing “because some fellow parked a cherry picker between us and the dock, and when I move the ship the cherry picker will fall to the bottom of the harbor.” This mishap occurred while offloading our trash. We left about a half hour late, and I used the opportunity to call home again. By then, a wrecker had come and gotten a firm hold on the cherry picker, and we left without incident.

IMG_7172_zpswwvqew9n.jpg

This is all chronicled on the Disboards as the “May 4 Wonder Incident.” We have to wonder if the operator has found another job yet.

After being out in the heat all day, we both needed showers before dinner. Tonight was semi formal night, and the Animation Magic dinner in Animators Palate, where we would draw ourselves and watch our drawings magically come to life! This is probably the best drawing I’ve done. Mark’s looks just like him!

So does Fred’s!

There were lots of really good drawings on the screens in our area; Mark wondered if there were other architects or designers near us.

My dinner was the Chicken Schnitzel, which I enjoyed.

Mark had the Sesame Crusted Sweet and Sour Tofu. When I asked him how it was, he said “it was tofu.”

After dinner we saw Bart & Hym and Elaine & Jim in their usual corner of the Promenade Lounge. None of the scheduled activities interested us tonight, except a movie at ten o’clock (there was a comedian and an Abba cover band). So we went up to the room to get into comfy clothes. This little mousie was waiting for us, with a note reminding us to turn the clocks back another hour tonight. Thankfully, Agung had already turned back the bedside clock for us!

We took the postcards I had written down to Guest Services; they would mail them when we arrived in San Diego. We rejoined the group in the Promenade Lounge for the remainder of their Wine Down time until they left for dinner, then walked outdoors on deck four for a while before going up to the pool deck to walk. The sunset tonight was stunning!

We went to the room briefly to grab our books and the blanket from the bed, because Mark would get cold at the movie. Now, earlier when we were at the room, our neighbors had apparently placed a plate of beignets they didn’t want in the hallway outside their door…perhaps for room service to pick up?

The plot thickened later, when the beignets were accompanied by a plate of chicken wing bones. Hmm… Why deliver the wings and not take the beignets?... At any rate, both were (thankfully) gone the next morning. And who doesn’t like Tiana’s beignets, anyway?!

Up on the pool deck, we got Mark an iced coffee and settled in to read until about 9:30, when we moved over to the Funnel Vision area. The sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy would premier tomorrow, and we wanted to watch the original again as a refresher. As the movie started at ten, a group of our Facebook friends was gathering near the ice cream stand, celebrating May the Fourth with a Star Wars junkies meet and greet (“May the Force be with you”…”May the Fourth…”) As the main character’s mother in our movie was dying, the Star Wars group was laughing just around the corner, and it was an odd moment. But they moved on shortly after, and it was fun seeing the movie on such a large screen. After the movie, we felt the need for pizza for some strange reason, and set our cell phone clocks back for an extra glorious hour of sleep. Tomorrow would be another busy day, touring Cabo san Lucas.

Such a nice ending to a beautiful day. I think I would have really enjoyed the walking food tour that you took. The price wasn't bad either. I just have to say ewww :crazy2: for the side of beef that was in the pickup truck. Who does that? Should that thing be on ice?

The sunset was beautiful. I'm really wanting to book another cruise as I look at all your pictures.

Such a nice ending to a beautiful day. I think I would have really enjoyed the walking food tour that you took. The price wasn't bad either. I just have to say ewww :crazy2: for the side of beef that was in the pickup truck. Who does that? Should that thing be on ice?

The sunset was beautiful. I'm really wanting to book another cruise as I look at all your pictures.

Do it! I would do another PC cruise in a heartbeat! And yes, I wish Mr. Cow had been on ice, too...

We have done two food tours - one in San Juan and one in Nassau. Both were wonderful and I would highly recommend them. I'm hesitant to book the one in PV after seeing the way they make the food, especially after seeing the cow. Did you worry about sanitary conditions? I'm in no way a germophob but I have a sensitive stomach and wonder about getting a gastric illness.

We have done two food tours - one in San Juan and one in Nassau. Both were wonderful and I would highly recommend them. I'm hesitant to book the one in PV after seeing the way they make the food, especially after seeing the cow. Did you worry about sanitary conditions? I'm in no way a germophob but I have a sensitive stomach and wonder about getting a gastric illness.

First, we didn't eat at the cow place. This tour would not have earned consistently high ratings on Trip Advisor if people were getting sick. I did, however, elect to get the hepatitis A vaccine before our cruise, because working in healthcare puts me at risk for hepatitis B.

We did not get sick, and I must point out that the inedible meat I found was the concrete pork chop in Animators Palate.

Check the reviews before you choose, and remember that people rarely review good experiences, but we let everyone know when we've had a bad one.

OUR “FAMILY” GROWS BY TWO – CABO SAN LUCAS – part uno -May 5

Mark and I were up at seven o’clock, and saw that we were still making our way to Cabo San Lucas. As we got ready to start the day, we could feel that we were slowing down, and soon we could see rock formations in the beautiful blue water. Finally, the famous arch came into view. Our activity today was DCL’s tour number CL06 - “Harbor Cruise & Scenic Stop.” Getting off the elevator on deck nine for Mark’s morning coffee, we walked outdoors with a young couple who were apparently very excited about being in Cabo – “Oh my God!” she squealed. “It’s beautiful!!”

It’s a rock.

In the water.

Pretty blue water, but it’s really just rocks and water, sister… I had to giggle.

We had breakfast at Cabana’s (eggs Benedict!) but I forgot to take photos because I was engaged in a conversation with our assistant server, Rijesh. He told me they had had a sort of “spring cleaning” the night before, and he was up until 1:30a.m.! They had to take everything out of their rooms, including the mattresses, clean it all, and have it inspected. Then he was up at five-thirty to start work at six! I don’t know how those kids do it… Duran later told me that when they work the whole day in Triton’s they are off from 9:30 to 11:30 to sleep. I couldn’t sleep in increments like that! I have a whole new appreciation for what the staff goes through to give us a great vacation.

Back in our room after breakfast, we could see sea lions in the water. Mark wanted to go up to deck ten to take some photos, but I needed to start working on packing for home. I really just organized some things, like the FE gifts, and packed the vanilla and the pottery plate from Cozumel in bubble wrap and garbage bags I’d brought from home.

We went down to Azure around ten for our 10:15 departure for the cruise. The place was packed! We soon ran into two ladies we knew from our Facebook group who are also from Indiana, and when we were told to keep our family units together so we all got on the same tender boat, we four Hoosiers decided to be Family for the day!

Two tours were meeting in Azure, so we had to wear our Rapunzel stickers and follow the Rapunzel paddle all the way down the full length of deck three, then downstairs to the aft gangway where we would board the tender. I’ve never had to tender before, and I was a little nervous about it, because I didn’t know how stable the steps would be. Turns out I had nothing to worry about – I told Mark “That wasn’t near as creepy as I was afraid it would be!”

The ride in the tender was a little bouncy, but the view back to our beautiful ship was lovely!

Once we arrived on terra firma we followed Rapunzel to a double-decker harbor cruise boat, along with the Simba group who were breaking off from us for some beach time after the cruise. We spent about an hour cruising around the harbor, turning around halfway so people on both sides of the boat could see. I spent my time inside, talking with Deb and Tim, who were Simbas, and our new Hoosier friends. Mark went out on the deck for photos. We were offered sodas and juice, and I believe there was a bar on board as well.

We bought two photographs they took of us as well.

I enjoyed this part of the excursion, and wish we had found an excursion that only toured the arch. But we had another part of the tour to do, and we were herded through the shopping area,onto two buses.

Our bus tour would be a “scenic drive” to a bar/restaurant offering a scenic overlook of our ship, as well as refreshment and a potty stop. Frankly, the drive was not scenic, and our tour guide was annoying. His name was Marco, but he told us to call him Mel (“like Mel Gibson.”) – now, if I were to get lost and tell the locals I was on Mel’s bus, would they know who I was talking about?! I doubt it… It just showed me that my safety was not his first concern. Here’s some of the “scenery.”

Anyway, the bus had a bathroom, if you were brave enough to use it. It was smack dab in the middle of the bus!! I’ve been on buses in Britain, and never seen a bus like this one… I have no idea how the thing worked, and no intention of finding out!

The rear steps were incredibly steep, so “unless you’re an athlete, a supermodel or young, don’t use them.” That apparently got lost in translation, because lots of older folks in the back of the bus used them.

On arriving at our first stop for refreshment, photos and ten dollar vanilla (!!) we exchanged our free drink coupons for cold canned soda or a beer, and walked around the facility. The upstairs was open-air and offered the best views of the ship, but she was pretty far away. There was a lot of scrubby vegetation and highway between us.

The ladies’ room was clean and modern, and it was nice to see we all shop for papel higienico at Costco.

Back on the bus, we were headed for the local glass factory. We were advised to be quiet as we drove onto the property, as “Charlie” (not his real name, either) gets nervous driving through their brand new gate. Of course, he did well, and we all applauded.

The property was beautiful, with colorful glass work inlaid into the doors and gates.

[

CABO, part dos

Inside, we first watched the glassblowers at work. We tried to guess what this young man was making.

It soon became obvious it was a turtle, but he was no ordinary turtle. He was a turtle in a hat, drinking tequila!

A piece of newspaper held up to him quickly caught fire, demonstrating the incredible heat these glass blowers worked in, and a reminder shortly after that tips were appreciated was met pretty generously by the crowd.

From there we filed into the shop to make a few purchases. This little pitcher caught my eye first, then we found the matching glasses. In the background is our plate from Cozumel.

I swear to you, this is the truth: they were wrapped in an English-language newspaper called The Gringo Gazette!

There was a small shrine in one corner of the showroom, all done in glass, and a Christmas tree made from glass globes. They had beautiful things, in addition to drunken turtles, and many of us were lined up at the registers.

On the bus ride back to the harbor, Mel talked a little about the history of Cabo, and how they desalinate sea water to have enough drinking water. As we neared the end of our tour he passed out evaluation forms and pencils. On passing around an envelope to collect the evaluations, he told us that Charlie, our driver, had a basket up front if we cared to tip, and Mel’s tips were to go in the envelope. “The envelope is for me; the basket is for Charlie…” I swear we heard it three times. I consider myself a good tipper, and I realize tipping is not common in all parts of the world, so sometimes we must delicately be reminded that a tip is appreciated. But not three times. It left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Overall, I would not recommend this tour, especially since our new friend Sandra from our group brunch later shared her photos taken right up there at the arch. Where did she book that great tour? – from a guy at the dock. For TEN DOLLARS!!! We were kicking ourselves…ours was a fifty dollar tour.

Our little family of four walked back to the tender area, pausing to appreciate the ice water and icy cold wash cloths Disney had provided for us. We saw more of our Facebook friends at the tender, and on the ride back enjoyed seeing a sea lion hop up on the back of a small boat for some free fishies!

Getting back out of the tender and on to the ship WAS as creepy as I had feared, for some reason, but I did okay. We were all starving on returning to the ship, so, after saying goodbye to our friends, Mark and I went up to the pool deck for sandwiches at Pete’s - grilled salmon for him and a cheeseburger for me. Ice cream sounded like a nice dessert, but the middle machine had the special flavors, and one of today’s was mango. I sheepishly got chocolate from the machine next to it – I wasn’t willing to spend a day on benedryl again!

Back in the room, with some time on my hands before dinner, I wanted to get a jump on the real packing. I asked Mark to give me a few pieces from the closet that he knew he would not be wearing again. As he did so he finally admitted that he had overpacked… I was able to fully pack one of our rolling garment bags, including putting the luggage strap on. I rolled it back under the bed and felt very full of myself for being so far ahead of everyone else. Or so I thought…

We went to Shutters when they opened at five to buy the photo of ourselves at the rail on Canal transit day, with the DCL border. I recall on the Fantasy being able to access the Shutters terminals any time of day, but here on the Wonder they were only unlocked when the desk was staffed. Anyway, I was having trouble with the screen while I was making the purchase and someone came up to help us. He said digital downloads were only available to the iPhone, and I was happier having the digital copy than another paper photo to keep flat, so we bought the digital one. Please enjoy it again, since we paid $20 for it.

Next, we went to Guest Services to (finally) increase the gratuities for our service team. The gratuity sheets would be delivered tonight, so they just gave us a new one and told us to destroy the other one.

Back in the room, we dressed for dinner. Tonight was the Big Show in Tiana’s Place, and my chance to see one of my favorite characters: the elusive Louis the Alligator! He was still pretty elusive, because he was so big he could only fit in the main aisles, and he moved very quickly – I got one half-decent photo of him.

Luckily, I remembered that this was the menu featuring kids’ drinks with a clip-on Raymond the Firefly! Deb bought the drink, which she described as “seven dollar purple kool aid,” but I just wanted ol’ Ray the Firefly. I tried to wear him as a hair clip, but he was flying upside down.

He was happier on my water glass. There is a way to make him flash in different colors, but I like him green, like in the movie.

We had a tense moment before dessert when I noticed Fred’s menu lighting up, but min did not – I had gotten a defective menu! Pouting soon followed…

However, my wonderful husband and my table mates showed me how to press the magic button on the front to make it light up. All was right in the world again.

My dinner tonight was the Shrimp and Grits appetizer

And the Roasted Creole Half Chicken with Toasted Corn & Pecan Bread Pudding (the corn is IN the bread pudding...)

We all got the featured bread again – Herbed Brioche, with a Roasted Onion dip.

Look at Fred’s appetizer! This is the Charcuterie Board

I loved my dessert – Mama Odie’s White Chocolate Bread Pudding

Mark had the Pecan Tart

And of course, we had to share some of those man-catchin’ beignets!!

Back in the room, we found a bunny lounging on our bed, with tomorrow’s Navigator and our gratuity envelopes – how sad that this wonderful trip was coming to an end!

But honestly, I was ready to go home. Every jingle of Agung’s keys in the hallway made me think of our dog Karma, and I missed her more and more, along with my memory foam mattress, the water softener, and a shower head that didn’t hit me in the throat. It will be hard to do a seven-night cruise again after this.

We dropped Ray off and went to the Walt Disney Theater to see the PremEAR of Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Mark had difficulty seeing the screen, so we did some seat trading, but he ended up sleeping through part of it. He later complained about the sound system not being set up for movies, and mentioned it on our comment card as well, but I enjoyed myself, and Baby Groot was adorable! We went straight to bed after the movie – that was a long day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!