If You See a Disney Employee with a Blue Name Tag, This Is What It Means

I first encountered one worn by Richard, the late greeter at the Grand Floridian.

He was the warmest, most friendly person I think I've ever met. We last saw him about nine months before he died. While he was obviously much more frail than formerly, he still took several minutes in the GF lobby with us to chat before starting his greeter shift.

I believe it was his obituary that said the greeter role was initiated specifically for him because his genial manner so impressed Disney HR.

I had a delightful fantasy chat with him once upon asking him what he might recall of Queen Victoria's death and how that affected people. He smiled gently and said something like, "Well, I was just a boy then, you understand. But, I remember how sad my parents and other grownups were. Everyone wore a black armband. The Queen was very much admired and beloved." He didn't hesitate a bit, firmly in character when he said that.

I played right along, which I love to do with characters or CMs in a special role like Richard. I remarked that my maternal grandparents were very young then and had no recollection of Her Majesty, so I appreciated hearing from someone with a memory of that mournful time.

He himself had no memory at all of 1901, of course, having been born in the 1920s. Richard the Victorian Gentleman did, though, which I enjoyed immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter