I'm all for the ROTR virtual queue, BUT

@JakeAZ: If I were planning for 12 people I'd be having a nervous breakdown--or canceling the trip. Seriously. Two is my absolute limit: me + one other person. So I feel for you. That's a heckuva lot of planning to do.

Twelve people. If DIS would allow strong language, this would be the place where I'd put it. No wonder you're in the mood you're in.
LMAO

It's not as bad as it sounds. Each family is in charge of what they want to do. We do have one meal set up for each day, so we can all meet up to eat / watch a show. I'm sure we'll do some rides together, but we are not planning our FP based on 12 riders.

Also, not everyone will be up for the ROTR process. But that process does seem like it will determine if those of us who do try for it can join the rest for the meal that day(s).

Yea the feeling of being there ready to get a BG and ur 5 seconds to late or ur phone messes up.. man it would make me sad.

I appreciate all the first hand info, thanks.

I'm glad it worked out perfectly for you, but I've also seen first hand stories about people who are there before parking opening and end up in 100+ groups. This has caused them to be called while at dinner at another park. They then have to plow through dinner and abandon any FP they have to hightail it over to HS to beat the 2 hour window.

If my ADR window hadn't opened in October, I would have been able to carve out a HS day. But we have hard to get ADRs in other parks on the days we have available to do RD at HS. My plan was to arrive before opening and be out of the park by mid day, so that my little kids can rest up after being dragged out of bed at 5am. While this can happen, you really have no idea until you actually get into your BG.

Over a year of planning and "what if" scenarios seems to come down to one ride.

This is my number one gripe about DW. It's just too rigid once you start locking in reservations / FPs.

In a vacuum, by itself, the ROTR process is very fair, but DW isn't in a vacuum.

If all of your other plans and ADRs are so important to you, then just don't ride RotR. It's just one ride. You're making too big of a deal about this. If anything, the most it will impact is one ADR or FP+, but I agree with others that it will all work out.

If all of your other plans and ADRs are so important to you, then just don't ride RotR. It's just one ride. You're making too big of a deal about this. If anything, the most it will impact is one ADR or FP+, but I agree with others that it will all work out.
The original point of the post is the ROTR process has no place in the schedule heavy world of DW (it's much better suited for DL's same day planning system). I stand by that and now we are seeing first hand stories of it being validated.

Yea I feel like I will just have throw away fastpasses ready for HS and go in hoping ot et a decent boarding group and if that fails atleast we ride some rides and can get 4th fp somewhere else.

The original point of the post is the ROTR process has no place in the schedule heavy world of DW (it's much better suited for DL's same day planning system). I stand by that and now we are seeing first hand stories of it being validated.

The same or worse in the schedule heavy world of WDW is basically every other method suggested to “fix” the current process. At least the actual process of getting the BG doesn’t majorly conflict with other plans, and one can choose what to do with it once they’ve secured it. A stand by line? Forget those plans made in advance, you’re committed to this line for probably half a day. More than one BG drop throughout the day? Have fun waiting in DHS for each drop so you can secure one, it getting progressively harder and harder as more people show as the day goes on. BG booked in advance like a FP? Well that stinks when you show up on a day when it has serious downtime and the line is filled with hours and hours of people from the downed times, or your group isn’t called that day even though you planned it.

The only fix is significantly less people wanting to ride, or the ride putting through significantly more people. Until then we’re left with some sort of system that is a pain in the butt in one way or another.

The same or worse in the schedule heavy world of WDW is basically every other method suggested to “fix” the current process. At least the actual process of getting the BG doesn’t majorly conflict with other plans, and one can choose what to do with it once they’ve secured it. A stand by line? Forget those plans made in advance, you’re committed to this line for probably half a day. More than one BG drop throughout the day? Have fun waiting in DHS for each drop so you can secure one, it getting progressively harder and harder as more people show as the day goes on. BG booked in advance like a FP? Well that stinks when you show up on a day when it has serious downtime and the line is filled with hours and hours of people from the downed times, or your group isn’t called that day even though you planned it.

The only fix is significantly less people wanting to ride, or the ride putting through significantly more people. Until then we’re left with some sort of system that is a pain in the butt in one way or another.

In reference to the bolded...in that case, Disney would give you a new BG, sometime later in the day, or another day.

If there was no virtual queue, you'd be stuck in a 7 hour long line and all your ADR's and FP's would be lost/useless too. What exactly is the problem? You have 2 hours to come back after your group gets called. It's not that hard...nor is it perfect....but it's pretty darn close.

I think the situation now is pretty consistent with Disney planning, in general. We all have to decide what our priorities are and make tough choices that might result in not being able to do other things. We're preparing for a spring break trip that will be crazy busy, and constantly weighing the impact of a choice on the rest of that day, or even the rest of the trip. We're choosing to prioritize Galaxy's Edge, so that means our plans in other areas might not be as perfect as we'd hope.

Anyone have any experience with the 1 hour vs 2 hour call back window? Is there any rhyme or reason to when it’s one or the other? 1 hour windows basically take hopping off the table.

Anyone have any experience with the 1 hour vs 2 hour call back window? Is there any rhyme or reason to when it’s one or the other? 1 hour windows basically take hopping off the table.
I was wondering this also. Alot of vlogs show the 2 hour window. Maybe they changed it to 1 hour? Or are people still getting either or ?

Yesterday it seemed the initial AM boarding groups had 1 hour return windows, early/mid day went to 2 hours, later day / evening went back to 1 hour. I think we need more reports to really see what is going on.

When you get your BG does it say which window you get? Or do you not find out until it’s called?

What can a guest do if their phone loses connection or battery energy and doesn't get the initial BG notification?
If you're in dhs they have electronic boards all over the park saying which bgs are loading. If your at another park or resort the guest relations/ front desk will know what bg is loading

I appreciate all the first hand info, thanks.

I'm glad it worked out perfectly for you, but I've also seen first hand stories about people who are there before parking opening and end up in 100+ groups. This has caused them to be called while at dinner at another park. They then have to plow through dinner and abandon any FP they have to hightail it over to HS to beat the 2 hour window.

If my ADR window hadn't opened in October, I would have been able to carve out a HS day. But we have hard to get ADRs in other parks on the days we have available to do RD at HS. My plan was to arrive before opening and be out of the park by mid day, so that my little kids can rest up after being dragged out of bed at 5am. While this can happen, you really have no idea until you actually get into your BG.

Over a year of planning and "what if" scenarios seems to come down to one ride.

This is my number one gripe about DW. It's just too rigid once you start locking in reservations / FPs.

In a vacuum, by itself, the ROTR process is very fair, but DW isn't in a vacuum.

We are doing DCL cruise and have a few days in Orlando beforehand, so we are planning 3 days in WDW. I do not want to waste huge amounts of time waiting to maybe get the chance to ride on a Star Wars ride. I totally get what you are saying about it being too rigid, I don't think it was like this when I first started going back in 2000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!