Immune suppressed going in Jan

The only thing is I don't think I'll be super well rested before or during our trip. I have to wake up at 5:30 am the day before tocheck into our flights and then wake up on traveling day around 2:30 am. I did talk to my husband about getting zzzquill for the night before travel day (since we're planning on going to bed around 5 pm lol...not really 5 pm but much earlier than were used to).

Oh the things we do for Disney! Totally understand. This is the tip that it is much easier for me to say than to do myself.

I feel like immediately before I travel I don’t sleep much (excitement/ early flights) but I’m trying to do a better job of not procrastinating on last minute errands and packing in the days leading up to a trip and burning myself out then.

Oh the things we do for Disney! Totally understand. This is the tip that it is much easier for me to say than to do myself.

I feel like immediately before I travel I don’t sleep much (excitement/ early flights) but I’m trying to do a better job of not procrastinating on last minute errands and packing in the days leading up to a trip and burning myself out then.

The nice thing is the first few days of our trip we don't have any park days planned so we can relax, nap and go with whatever aside from the ADR we have planned but park days my husband thinks we need to go at it pretty hard... he wants to do rope drop to close and I'm like....ugh...might not be the best idea...we do have a 4 yr old

I was worried about the buffets. We have 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Akershus, and Cape May scheduled for the character experiences. I don't typically like buffets to begin with but figured Disney buffets may have better food...

I have tips for you. When getting plates don't take the first one. Take the one underneath it. The more covered the trays are the better they are, like if they have a sneeze guard. Even better if it's a meat being cut right in front of you. You know no one else but the server has been all over it. When picking from a tray of food take from the bottom (less people breathing on it). Avoid raw fruits and raw veggies. Don't be afraid to wait for a new tray of food. The less it sits out the better. It might sound silly but don't touch those serving utensils! Ask someone in your party to put it on your plate. Think of 100 people using the same tongs. Icky!

I have tips for you. When getting plates don't take the first one. Take the one underneath it. The more covered the trays are the better they are, like if they have a sneeze guard. Even better if it's a meat being cut right in front of you. You know no one else but the server has been all over it. When picking from a tray of food take from the bottom (less people breathing on it). Avoid raw fruits and raw veggies. Don't be afraid to wait for a new tray of food. The less it sits out the better. It might sound silly but don't touch those serving utensils! Ask someone in your party to put it on your plate. Think of 100 people using the same tongs. Icky!

I talked to my Gi and she told me to avoid anything “fresh” or raw. She also said avoid the pool. Anything that can mess up my GI track and send me into a bad flare (even a viral stomach bug could send me into a flare if I’m not careful) so I’m masking during the plane ride and wiping down the seats on the plane. Hopping to avoid anything super nasty

I don’t mind a cold but any kind of vomiting has me very anxious. :S

I used to not be as worried about colds until I got really bad viral respiratory thing a few years ago.

Between all of the recent food recalls and holiday potlucks* etc this is a very trying time of the year GI-wise.

(*or rather polite avoidance of potlucks)

I leave tomorrow for first time since a kidney transplant in 2015. Despite being on anti rejection medications that bring down my immune system, and never being OCD about it, I have yet to get a cold. I do normal things like wash hands frequently and I should be a stockholder for Purell. Just use common sense. If you are near anyone that is sick, try to keep your distance

I have mod/severe RA and quite possibly take the same meds you do, or something similar and have been for about 15 years, and I travel a lot.

• When on a plane I wipe down everything with Wet Ones, even the air controls, window shade handle, tray table (be sure to open it up), armrest, and seatbelt buckle (don't forget that!).
  • I don't wear a mask.
  • If you are seated next to someone who is obviously sick, ask to be moved. That happened to me, and I got so sick a couple days later, I'm not sure how I made it home. Being polite can get you in big trouble!
  • I use hand sanitizer often, in the airport, on the busses and at the parks.
  • Make sure you're caught up on any immunization your doctor recommends- there are a couple that you should get that a person not on these meds wouldn't have to worry about.
  • I would never go on a large cruise ship, e.g. The Disney Magic, etc.

I think the planes are really where the germs are super concentrated. Since I started wiping down my seat area, I have never once been sick on a vacation. I went to Italy once with a bunch of friends and they all got sick but I didn't! Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
I have mod/severe RA and quite possibly take the same meds you do, or something similar and have been for about 15 years, and I travel a lot.

• When on a plane I wipe down everything with Wet Ones, even the air controls, window shade handle, tray table (be sure to open it up), armrest, and seatbelt buckle (don't forget that!).
  • I don't wear a mask.
  • If you are seated next to someone who is obviously sick, ask to be moved. That happened to me, and I got so sick a couple days later, I'm not sure how I made it home. Being polite can get you in big trouble!
  • I use hand sanitizer often, in the airport, on the busses and at the parks.
  • Make sure you're caught up on any immunization your doctor recommends- there are a couple that you should get that a person not on these meds wouldn't have to worry about.
  • I would never go on a large cruise ship, e.g. The Disney Magic, etc.

I think the planes are really where the germs are super concentrated. Since I started wiping down my seat area, I have never once been sick on a vacation. I went to Italy once with a bunch of friends and they all got sick but I didn't! Good luck and have fun!

I told my husband we need to make sure to wipe down the airplane seats and tables and such. He told me I’m crazy...we flew before and didn’t wipe anything down and didn’t get sick. I’m also caught up on my immunizations but the pneumonia vaccine is iffy. One doctor says I’m within the 5 years another says I’m not...we actually were planning on a cruise but I backed out the last minute because I got super nervous about people getting sick around me. We also are renting a car since I didn’t want to be trapped on a bus with possibly sick people.

Thanks for your advice. A lot of people on Facebook are starting to post about them or their kids being ill so I’ve begun stocking up on more meds than I’d typically bring.

I told my husband we need to make sure to wipe down the airplane seats and tables and such. He told me I’m crazy...we flew before and didn’t wipe anything down and didn’t get sick. I’m also caught up on my immunizations but the pneumonia vaccine is iffy. One doctor says I’m within the 5 years another says I’m not...we actually were planning on a cruise but I backed out the last minute because I got super nervous about people getting sick around me. We also are renting a car since I didn’t want to be trapped on a bus with possibly sick people.

Thanks for your advice. A lot of people on Facebook are starting to post about them or their kids being ill so I’ve begun stocking up on more meds than I’d typically bring.
This is an article that talks about air travel: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2014/10/13/airplane-germs/17044509/ Notice the info about HEPA air filters. I could find more technical articles detailing how nasty planes are, but that one is a nice summary.

I have had flight attendants tell me I'm doing the right thing. In fact, since I sit up front, I often see them wiping down surfaces as well. If anyone knows, they do. If I'm not traveling with my husband, I tell my seat mate "I'm not a hypochondriac, I just take immunosuppressants", and they get it. Of course, if you rent a car, you'll want to do the same thing where you sit, but you only have to do it once.

And don't worry about your husband- it only takes seconds and costs mere pennies for you to take precautions. Tell him it could cost a lot more in wasted vacation time if you get sick,- been there and done that and I never want to do it again. And even if you don't get super sick, just a cold can turn a fun trip meh :sick: Even though you have a GI problem, your medication makes you susceptible to all kinds of viruses and bacteria, not just the type that affects your intestinal tract.

My husband doesn't care (sometimes he'll take my little wipe and do his seat, too) :) but by far the most important thing is hand washing, and using hand sanitizer all the time. Last time I picked a cold virus, I know for a fact I got it from shaking hands at church. I could have prevented that by using a hand sanitizer, but forgot. If you keep cleaning your hands, even if you touch something germy, you'll get rid of those germs!

Don't worry too much, and have a great trip!

Last edited:
I am also a transplant recipient (kidney), and I had the same question regarding buffets so I emailed Disney. This was the thread

My question
My wife and I will be traveling to Disney World in Dec 2022.
We would like to participate in some "buffet" events like Firework Dessert Parties on the Tomorrowland Terrace while we are there.
The problem is that I have had a kidney transplant and I am now on lifelong immunosuppression.
My physician's guidance is to no longer eat off of buffets due to the risk of bacteria and handling from many people.
Are there options to choose selections that are not from a buffet line?

Disney's Response
Thank you for asking about special diet needs at the Walt Disney World Resort.

We would like to assure you that all of our Disney restaurant teams are trained to handle such requests.

At our restaurants offering buffets or family-style dining, please request to speak with a Chef upon arrival so that they may answer any questions you may have. At buffet locations, the Chef will be happy to walk you around the buffet and show you items that may be safe. As any buffet always poses the possibility of ingredients mixing or touching, you may after deciding your options, request to have the meal prepared separately in the kitchen to avoid such potential cross contact. At family style dining locations, the Chef will review and discuss the menu with you. As family-style dining similarly allows for the possibility of cross contact, you may choose to have a separate plate prepared with allergy-friendly options.

We look forward to your visit!

Sincerely,

Julius
Special Diets Team
Sales & Solutions
Walt Disney World Resort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter