Impatiens... A full sun plant?

Microcell

DIS Veteran
I want to plant some different plants in the front yard, and I know Impatiens grow well there (I look West when looking out my front door) so I wonder if I need to be looking for full sun or partial shade plants?

Are there trees that protect your impatiens? I'd look for partial shade plants, since impatiens tend to like shadier conditions.

I think they tend to be OK in sun as long as its not ALL day - so if they were shaded by the house or trees till after lunch they would probably be OK

ETA in the UK they are used a lot for formal borders in parks etc. so generally in full sun, but it depends how hot it gets where you are - if its very hot they do need a bit more TLC (and water!)

New Guinea Impatients are a full sun plant. The flowers look the same, but the leaves are different.

My house faces west too, but I have very hot summers, and I have to plant them in shade, or early morning sun only, in pots.

Good Luck!!

I think they tend to be OK in sun as long as its not ALL day - so if they were shaded by the house or trees till after lunch they would probably be OK

ETA in the UK they are used a lot for formal borders in parks etc. so generally in full sun, but it depends how hot it gets where you are - if its very hot they do need a bit more TLC (and water!)

Usually the fiercest sun is in the afternoon, so I wouldn't risk regular impatiens in a full western exposure unless shaded in part by trees.

New Guinea Impatients are a full sun plant. The flowers look the same, but the leaves are different.

My house faces west too, but I have very hot summers, and I have to plant them in shade, or early morning sun only, in pots.

Good Luck!!

I wonder if it is regional because here New Guinea Impatients are shade plants and don't do well in sun at all.

I wonder if it is regional because here New Guinea Impatients are shade plants and don't do well in sun at all.

Hmmm... they are sold here on the east coast as full sun. However, when I googled them, it was mixed part shade and full sun...so you are right. Beats me :confused3 . I have good luck with them, but they don't like to be dry, so I keep mine facing east with morning full sun (I hate to water that much!)

impatiens_raul_new_guinea.jpg
(stock pic, but they are so pretty!)

It's weird how different varieties of the same plant like different conditions. :confused3 Last year DH brought home some New Guinea impatiens for our porch without reading the tags and they didn't like it up against the house under the porch roof. But when our parents kept travel trailers at a campground, just about every seasonal site had impatiens planted since it did so well under the trees! (Not one or two trees, these trailers were pretty much in the woods except for the bit where the trailer actually sat.)

Hmmm... they are sold here on the east coast as full sun. However, when I googled them, it was mixed part shade and full sun...so you are right. Beats me :confused3 . I have good luck with them, but they don't like to be dry, so I keep mine facing east with morning full sun (I hate to water that much!)

/quote]

I always plant them in part shade because they really don't seem to like too much sun. I don't like to water twice a day, and when I planted them in full sun it seemed that I was watering them all the time.

funny in Ohio new guinea impatiens are sold for full sun, other type for part sun to shade...however my parents ( who have garden soil like the stuff you buy in the primo bag mixes, perfect loam due to them knowing exactly what to do:) ) grow them( regular not new guinea) in full sun and shade and like everything else they grow into mounds the size of New hampshire by fall. so i think truthfully you'd be ok as long as you keep them well watered if they are in a hot area.

Jann- I think that you are right, the water is the key if the sun is strong. They are pretty bedding plants though and worth a little effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter