Incredibles 2

I didn't indicate that you did.

Just that if someone doesn't enjoy the short, doesn't mean that they are "offended."

That word gets thrown around too much.

I read a few articles covering this and I didn't see much with people being offended by the short itself - more that people didn't get it or laughed or sort of complained that they had to explain it to their kids, some of whom were upset by it, etc.

Then I saw some people comment that it was aimed at people from the Asian culture and offended by the people who laughed it and stuff as they didn't find it funny, etc. - it made total sense to them and was very emotional to them so to see others laugh it off upset/offended them

My 7 year old loved the movie. She is obsessed. She wants the toys, everything and is already counting down days until it is released on dvd.

We finally saw the movie today and really enjoyed the short as well as I2. My takeaway from the short was that the only way to keep her son from leaving would be to destroy him, which she realized when she ate the dumpling. I thought it was sweet and sad. Right after the mother ate the dumpling, my 6-year-old leaned over to my husband and whispered, “she had to.” She wasn’t phased a bit.

I saw I2 while at Disney Springs the weekend after it opened. I did get to see it as a matinee in 3D for under $10. I about fell over. When was the last time you went to a movie for under $10? Anyway... I'm left the movie feeling flat. I'm pretty sure it's because the family behind me had kids who had not learned how to watch a movie in the theatre yet (though Mom was trying). So I kept having loud questions, followed by "Shh, you have to whisper", followed by the question again, followed by the answer. I didn't think of moving or asking for a refund at the time, because it didn't happen all that often. But it did happen often enough to pull me out of the movie mentally, though. So I'm going to need to see the movie again, but I'll what for it to come out on DVD or online.

Saw it last night for $5 per person. No 3D though, and there aren’t any more 3D screenings. It was at an AMC location where all Tuesday showings are $5 for AMC Stubs members, although there’s a surcharge for 3D, IMAX, or other special presentations. It was weird though. We were late, the line was long, and I went through one of their automated kiosks. I bought three tickets and it spit out three stubs with receipts and just one ticket. I talked to the manager (customer service is right at the entrance) and he told the ticket taker to let all three of us in.

https://www.amctheatres.com/ticket-tuesday

We finally saw the movie today and really enjoyed the short as well as I2. My takeaway from the short was that the only way to keep her son from leaving would be to destroy him, which she realized when she ate the dumpling. I thought it was sweet and sad. Right after the mother ate the dumpling, my 6-year-old leaned over to my husband and whispered, “she had to.” She wasn’t phased a bit.

That was her fantasy where she could actually do something (however grotesque) about her son leaving. Of course it’s not apparent immediately, but it’s a setup for the reveal.

It’s also about the fears of every East Asian mom living in the west. They have fears of losing a child to western influences. All those little things were extremely traumatic to someone from a culture where parents are to be revered and children expected to live with their parents until married. He’s refusing her food and hanging out with his non-Asian friends. The last straw and the most traumatic thing isn’t just that he brings home a white girl, but that she’s blonde.

The fantasy world where her son’s place is replaced by a bun is also her catharsis.

This has been a subject of many movies and some TV shows. I remember as far back as Peter Wang’s movie A Great Wall, where there’s a thoroughly westernized guy who influences his cousin in a way where she’s asking her mom for “privacy”.

I know it's kind of a trope with any kind of mind-control device, but aren't the hypno-goggles a bit on the the vulnerable side for any kind of master plan? At the very least some loose device (not even a band in the back) that can easily be removed wouldn't seem to be a very secure tool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!