Input on what I should do with speculative Disney trip...

AndrewC

DIS Veteran
So my game plan has always been a late October trip to Disneyland, probably 18th - 24th time frame. (Pending parks are open of course)

I’m a little surprised we haven’t seen hotel prices drop... but who knows, maybe Disney things pent up demands will pack the rooms or they’re just waiting to release deals closer to the fall season.

My question and looking for input is this...

Should I try to book a July 1st hotel stay betting on the parks will still be closed and Disney will have to cancel the hotel stay? Do you think Disney would extend a discount offer to anyone that has a July hotel reservation that gets canceled?

If it looks like parks will be open then I’ll just cancel in mid June...

I’m thinking there could be a good chance there isn’t a public discount offer this fall, especially if they have to limit hotel capacity for safety reasons OR if they limit park capacity (likely) and made it a hotel perk that you’ll get into the park if you’re staying at their hotel...

I'm thinking the same thing, but I'd book for mid- to late- July.

I figure if you can afford to possibly lose the deposit and remember the 'normal' cancellation rules then what could it hurt? If they don't offer a discount for cancellations eff 7/1 or if they open up in July (highly doubtful), then you just cancel your booking, but if they do open you'd be cancelling within 30 days, so might forfeit your deposit.

So my game plan has always been a late October trip to Disneyland, probably 18th - 24th time frame. (Pending parks are open of course)

I’m a little surprised we haven’t seen hotel prices drop... but who knows, maybe Disney things pent up demands will pack the rooms or they’re just waiting to release deals closer to the fall season.

My question and looking for input is this...

Should I try to book a July 1st hotel stay betting on the parks will still be closed and Disney will have to cancel the hotel stay? Do you think Disney would extend a discount offer to anyone that has a July hotel reservation that gets canceled?

If it looks like parks will be open then I’ll just cancel in mid June...

I’m thinking there could be a good chance there isn’t a public discount offer this fall, especially if they have to limit hotel capacity for safety reasons OR if they limit park capacity (likely) and made it a hotel perk that you’ll get into the park if you’re staying at their hotel...
The current offer is only a $50 resort credit/day beyond beginning of Oct...

Interesting, I thought it was a % off through the end of October. Previous history shows a pretty reliable 10 to 25% discount happening between mid October and late October for hotel rooms... I just thought this year might be entirely new territory if there are additional perks for hotel guests (like guaranteed access to capacity limited parks) or because they’ve already handed out so many ~30% discounts for canceled reservations,

Making these “make up” discounts only valid through the start of October has me puzzled. Does Disney plan on a standard discount starting mid October anyway and doesn’t want guests upset that they canto stack discounts (and thus feel their “make up” one was useless?). Or does Disney anticipate such demand or limited capacity that there won’t be a discount this year...

I wouldn’t try to gamble this so much except that even a 10% discount could be HUGE when it comes to DLH. That could be like $200 on a four night stay and 30% would be fabulous on that long of a stay!

What does the resort credit cover? Would that only be for things like cabana rentals? It wouldn’t apply to dining options or parking would it? Because again, even covering parking charges could save like $200, which again is significant!

(Also, I’m glad the cancellation window was confirmed by someone else, I thought it had been pretty generous and I figured if Disney is going to be closed for July there would be strong indications from blacked out dining reservations, hotel reservations, or the governor by mid June or so...)

Or does Disney anticipate such demand or limited capacity that there won’t be a discount this year
Depending on if and how much of a park capacity restriction (later this year) there is, I could see Disney not offering discounts at all. Not saying they will be greedy but the demand will be there and with reduced supply well we all know the old saying about supply and demand.

Depending on if and how much of a park capacity restriction (later this year) there is, I could see Disney not offering discounts at all. Not saying they will be greedy but the demand will be there and with reduced supply well we all know the old saying about supply and demand.

Exactly. If Shanghai is working it’s way up to 30% capacity and Disney has already said in earnings calls that they don’t believe they’ll have any issue filling that capacity based on pent up demand, i suspect we’ll see some of the same over here.

Based on the timelines the state has given, I wouldn’t expect phased openings to start until July at the best case and honestly I suspect more like August. I could very easily seen still in the 50% or less capacity region by October, especially if we don’t have a vaccine or anything.

I know people were wildly disappointed with canceled plans in the spring, and I feel horrible for anyone that had a once in a lifetime trip canceled, someone with sick family that might not be able to travel any more now, etc. However, there absolutely could be (and are) cases of people that were just going to pop down for a few days in the spring because they hit Disney a couple times a year... and now they might be scoring a ~$700 discount or so on the DLH. Again, that’s serious money saved.

I actually was thinking this year of making a quick spring trip for Rise if the Resistance since I have a FlexPass (first year with an AP, I’m out of state but the price was worth it) but was waiting for some airline sales before booking hotel. So I don’t feel terrible trying to get in on the discount...

Of course the early October expiration date kinda poses a problem, but I wonder if Disney will plan to extend it. (I.E. if you have late July travel plans giving you a discount that’s only good for less than 90 days especially when many schools start mid August isn’t really that “accommodating”)

I thought the offer was 35% off rooms + $50 credit for those whose reservations were cancelled due to the parks being closed IF you made your reservations within the specified timeframe. Currently that date is 6/30/2020, but we'd be speculating that the offer would be extended if reservations were made for July and then the reopening was pushed out to a later date.

Which would be fine for me. I'm retired and completely flexible, although I thought it was through 12/31/2020 for those who had their reservations cancelled.
Nope. After the beg of Oct cancelled reservations are only getting $50 part of the offer, OP wants to go after that so I thought I’d give him a heads up. Obviously disney might change it but that’s the offer for now.

There is absolutely no reason why you should feel terrible trying to get a discount.

Well, I don’t want to be out here like “where’s my discount?!” when in this situation families may absolutely have been really disrupted with the park being closed if they already had a planned trip...

At the same time, I go a little mad thinking someone might be booking the same room as me at the same time and saving almost $1000 over a five night period or something!

Booked a DLH room for July 5th check in and July 7th check out. It sounds like restrictions are highly likely to be extended and at this point I'll be very surprised if Disney opens in July. Either I can cancel 5 days before for a full refund (so basically July 1st) or Disney cancels and we'll see if they offer me a discount/resort credit for rebooking.

I'm debating booking my late October stay very soon as well in case things start to book up thanks to discounts/credits (and possibly reduced capacity) but I hate to float two deposits that long...

Holy new world with Disney all over again this year. It'll be very interesting to see when they announce Halloween party date (if it's happening), if dining reservations will be loaded 60 days out or if Disney will drag their feet to adjust times to save budgets etc like they did last year, how quickly on site hotels book up once a firm open date and any attraction reductions are announced...

Something tells me it'll be a check daily type thing again until everything is planned. I hated doing that last year and stressing over when dining reservations would go live, etc

Sorry to be such a dope.... but I am a bit confused. I had a trip cancelled for March, with a stay at the GCH. After our trip was kaput, I didn't read the Boards for awhile, because it just made me sad. :sad2:
I'm starting to think about a new date now. Are the Disney hotels offering a discount for folks in my boat? There are so many long threads right now about cancellation, I'm not sure where to look first.

Sorry to be such a dope.... but I am a bit confused. I had a trip cancelled for March, with a stay at the GCH. After our trip was kaput, I didn't read the Boards for awhile, because it just made me sad. :sad2:
I'm starting to think about a new date now. Are the Disney hotels offering a discount for folks in my boat? There are so many long threads right now about cancellation, I'm not sure where to look first.

It appears that if Disney cancels your reservation because they are closed then they have been offering a discount in rebookings and a $50/night resort credit out till the start of October. After that it’s just the nightly credit. I’m not sure exactly when this policy started but it was late March/April time frame. You could try calling Disney with your existing reservation number and asking them if they can extend the offer to you because you want to book a new stay... but if it was self cancelled you might not get it and if it was before Disney started this offer they might not give it to you...

Prices drop, when demand is low and rooms and parks need to be filled. That isn't a desired outcome right now, therefore I wouldn't anticipate great discounts-yet.
The thing is prices haven’t dropped. I’m still seeing $500/night in October at Disneyland Hotel (which is more than rack rates were right before Galaxy Edge opened). I also was seeing (and booked) a ~$585/night rate at DLH for July 5-6th...

I’m shocked prices haven’t dropped... but I suspect they won’t until Disney actually has a firm open date. They could use hotel stays as guaranteed ways to get in during capacity controlled reopening in which case they might be able to keep prices normal and sell every room... or they could drop prices once they know which dates they are open for...

The thing is prices haven’t dropped. I’m still seeing $500/night in October at Disneyland Hotel (which is more than rack rates were right before Galaxy Edge opened). I also was seeing (and booked) a ~$585/night rate at DLH for July 5-6th...

I’m shocked prices haven’t dropped... but I suspect they won’t until Disney actually has a firm open date. They could use hotel stays as guaranteed ways to get in during capacity controlled reopening in which case they might be able to keep prices normal and sell every room... or they could drop prices once they know which dates they are open for...

They don't have good reason to drop prices. Their resorts are probably sold as much as they ever are. With travel companies being so relaxed about cancellations due to COVID, there's no reason for anyone to cancel of their own accord yet. I expect most people still plan to go, unless someone tells them they can't.

Once Disney can see the full picture, then they can figure out exactly what needs to be done to protect their bottom line.
If they are open, then they don't need to do anything regarding their hotels. The cancellation policy is flexible up to 30 days before check in and people have already had well over 30 days to decide if they will feel comfortable at Disney with COVID in play (unless they've been completely ignoring reality). People staying at their hotels will be able to get in to the parks, if they are open. The Disney hotel capacity at Disneyland is under 5% of the park capacity. I'm sure they're spending a lot more time deciding WHO ELSE might get to come play if they open at anything less than 100% capacity

If they're closed, then they refund all their reservations. They don't need to do that until at least a few days before each one. I wouldn't expect discounts until there's some level of predictability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter