Insulin Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbower79

<font color=green>I laugh inside, really I do<br><
I was wondering if anyone who has an insulin pump has had any troubles with it during their fun times at WDW... is it a good idea to keep it turned off during speical rides or even in some kind of water poof bag on the water rides... my husband has one and we haven't really talked about it yet, but wanted to get some of the Disers opinions!

Thanks
Jaime

No need to worry. My husband has a pump and doesn't take it off for any of the rides. He even wears it to the water parks with no problems. His is waterproof (this may not be the case for all manufacturers).

My kids both wear pumps and didn't have to take them off at all in the parks. They were careful on water rides to have the pumps protected, although they are supposed to be water resistant. The only issue is that with so much walking, they have to suspend the pump so that they don't get insulin for periods of time when we are especially active. The other option is to have an extra Mickey bar!! :goodvibes Have fun! :)

I'll make sure to let my husband know he can have an extra :mickeybar :mickeybar he'll be so excited.. he did tell me (i talked to a little bit about it) that he may have to suspend it on any rides that feel "free fall" like... but you're saying you guys didn't have to suspend it for any rides...

I really do appreciate your comments! I love the dis board!

Jaime :sunny:

SplashMom said:
The only issue is that with so much walking, they have to suspend the pump so that they don't get insulin for periods of time when we are especially active.

This is a great idea. My DS is 9 and we will be taking our first trip to Disney with Diabetes in January. Although, if you ask him, he would prefer the extra :mickeybar .

Depending on your husband's normal activity level, he may not need that extra micky bar boost. My husband has a very active job, and when we are not on vacation, he exercises rigorously every day. He actually needs to use more insulin and watch his carb intake more closely on vacation.

I've read (or heard or something) that it is the magnetic force in some rides that is a concern for pump wearers. My son who is on the pump is just 3 (almost 4) but hasn't been on rides like Tower of Terror which is (I think) one with that kind of magnetic issue. I've not actually heard of any pump wearers having a problem on those rides with their pumps but suspending it wouldn't (I'd guess) help if it actually is an issue - I think because the magnets would screw up the pump.

Here is what is in my users guide that came with the Animas 1200 pump:

Amusement Parks

- Very powerful electoromagnets are sometimes used on "free-fall amusement park rides. Insulin pumps should be REMOVED AND NOT TAKEN on these "free-fall" types of rides.

- High gravity forces can be experienced when riding on some roller-coasters. It is recommended that you disconnect (NOT suspend) the pump while on roller-coaster rides.

Perhaps have someone else watch the pump if you are concerned while on magnetic rides - anyone know which ones those are at WDW? I know we did not disconnect his pump on BTMRR but that is a pretty tame roller coaster. Perhaps disconnect on something like RnRR just in case.

I guess bottom line is that you don't want to screw up your pump while on vacation! I'd suggest taking back-up insulin (long acting - like lantus) and a bunch of syringes and anything he'd need to be on shots for several days just in case. I brought all of W's shot supplies. I'm still too chicken to put his pump in the water!

Another issue could be if you're going in very warm weather it could cause the insulin in the pump to lose some of its effectiveness. It was suggested to me we might need to change out his reservoir every day when we were there in July but we kept him in the cool as much as possible and didn't have a problem.

I'm curious if anyone with a pump has ridden all those suspect rides without problems?

Selket said:
I've read (or heard or something) that it is the magnetic force in some rides that is a concern for pump wearers. My son who is on the pump is just 3 (almost 4) but hasn't been on rides like Tower of Terror which is (I think) one with that kind of magnetic issue. I've not actually heard of any pump wearers having a problem on those rides with their pumps but suspending it wouldn't (I'd guess) help if it actually is an issue - I think because the magnets would screw up the pump.

Here is what is in my users guide that came with the Animas 1200 pump:

Amusement Parks

- Very powerful electoromagnets are sometimes used on "free-fall amusement park rides. Insulin pumps should be REMOVED AND NOT TAKEN on these "free-fall" types of rides.

- High gravity forces can be experienced when riding on some roller-coasters. It is recommended that you disconnect (NOT suspend) the pump while on roller-coaster rides.

Perhaps have someone else watch the pump if you are concerned while on magnetic rides - anyone know which ones those are at WDW? I know we did not disconnect his pump on BTMRR but that is a pretty tame roller coaster. Perhaps disconnect on something like RnRR just in case.

I guess bottom line is that you don't want to screw up your pump while on vacation! I'd suggest taking back-up insulin (long acting - like lantus) and a bunch of syringes and anything he'd need to be on shots for several days just in case. I brought all of W's shot supplies. I'm still too chicken to put his pump in the water!

Another issue could be if you're going in very warm weather it could cause the insulin in the pump to lose some of its effectiveness. It was suggested to me we might need to change out his reservoir every day when we were there in July but we kept him in the cool as much as possible and didn't have a problem.

I'm curious if anyone with a pump has ridden all those suspect rides without problems?
I have heard that too and I am quite certain that the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities used to list that magnetic fields were used on certain attractions, but didn't say why it was listed. I recall TOT and also I think it may have said that for Rock N Roller Coaster too.
The current guide doesn't say anything.

My 8 year old son wears a Minimed pump. We went in June and never had a problem. We rode every ride without suspending or taking the pump off. We only changed his set out every two or three days.
I also worried about the water rides. The only ride that might drench you seems to be Kali River Rapids. I took a small Ziplock bag and stuck the pump in it for this ride just to be on the safe side.
Have fun!

I have ridden my pump on all of those rides minus Soarin without any issue. My biggest issue at Disney is suspending my basal rate due to all the activiity without having to play rollacoaster with my numbers that night.

I suggest that perhaps you'd want to try posting at a site called: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ You have to join but they have a very active community of pumpers. I looked and didn't see a way to search the previous messages. However I think if you joined up and posted the question about the magnetic issue on rides you'd get responses.

It seems that I've been told by others pumpers that they didn't remove their pumps for anything at WDW but I wouldn't advise that seeing that my own pump manual (for my son) suggests otherwise! If I had someone who could easily hold the pump who wasn't riding then why not take it off for awhile (that person could even que in the line like for ToT and then take the "chicken exit"). If it is just the two of you I'd think the CM's would let you do a kind of "baby swap" with you queing together and one of you riding while the other waits with the pump - then when he gets off you give him the pump and you ride. Those are just some ideas in case he decides he doesn't want to take his pump on those rides.

Good luck figuring it out!

Ok so my husband called Animis his pump people and they told him to disconnect on roller coasters but he had to take it off for any free falling rides because they use magetic stuff... i would think they mean anything with the G force in the ride, which at disney is more then just the free falling, right?

Another question, when he takes it off, what do we do with it? GIve it to a CM or ?

Thanks
Jaime :flower:

I wouldn't give my $5000 insulin pump to a CM!

If you don't have other family members/friends that could hold it perhaps check my previous post where I suggested a modified "baby swap" with the pump being the "baby." (You que together, one rides while the other holds the pump and waits near the ride boarding area - then goes on the ride and gives the pump to the one getting off the ride).

I did a Google search and found a chat transcript (from the Children with Diabetes conference that we attended) that mentioned that Test Track was one of the rides with magnetic fields a pumper should avoid. We *did* take William on this ride (he is 3 yrs old) with his pump last summer twice as I did not realize at the time there was any magnetic issue on it (was just thinking of free fall rides). Of course we didn't have a problem with his pump afterwards.

My guess is that folks with pumps get on these rides all the time without issues but I can't recommend it. Should something go wrong I don't think Animas would replace it.

Being a former Insulin Pump user, I had no problems with my pump at all in WDW, I did lower my basal due all the extra walking, etc. I am now currently insulin free after 42 years of using insulin. I had a Pancreas Transplant 17 months ago.

Just wanted to post that I called Disney and they said the only ride, she could think of, with the free falling was the TOT and said that all we would have to do is hand it to a CM and tell them "for medical reasons I can't take this on the ride" and they would treat it like a wheel chair situation.

As far as trusting a CM with the insulin pump, I dont see why not? it's no different then walking up to a complete stranger with your $$$ camera to take a picture of your family. People do it all the time, not to CMs, but guest. Am I wrong to think that it would be fine? I was just kind of taking back by the comment Selket - I wouldn't give my $5000 insulin pump to a CM! . As for the child sawp thing, I think that would ruin my whole trip! I planned this trip for my DH and I, I want to do things with my DH and that would ruin everything if we had to ride the rides by ourselves!

She was very nice on the phone. But why wouldn't she! She works for the mouse! ::MickeyMo

Jaime :flower:

Well I was thinking that the CM's are so busy loading the rides that I would certainly hesitate to hand them something as small and costly as an insulin pump to hold while I was on a ride. Would they actually hold it in hand or put it in a pocket or put it in a locker or ? I wouldn't hesitate to leave a wheelchair because that is a rather large item that someone couldn't easily damage or steal. But an insulin pump, as you know, is the size of a pager and will have tubing hanging out that is full of insulin. I personally just would *never* give my insulin pump to a CM to hold - someone who likely has no idea what they are holding or what the value is, etc. Asking someone to take your picture with your camera (mine doesn't cost $5000 - $500 maybe) at least you are standing there watching them. On the ride you won't see the pump once you hand it over and they shut the door. If they set it down and someone picks it up thinking it is a cell phone or pager then it is gone...

Frankly the thought of giving a CM my son's insulin pump makes me go :scared1: He is dependent on that insulin pump for his life -it isn't an optional piece of equipment like a camera or Ipod or notebook computer. I can't see how doing a "baby swap" with the insulin pump on ONE ride would ruin the vacation.

Of course you are free to choose! Perhaps get it in writing that WDW is responsible for the pump if they agree to hold it for you should something go wrong...maybe that person you spoke to would so that for you? Either way you might want to check with your home insurance company and add coverage for the pump if it is lost or stolen - I did this when he he 1st went on the pump and it didn't cost much to add the extra coverage ::yes::

I guess you can tell you officially :scared: :eek: me out! LOL! :teeth: I"m going to take my nerve pill and go to bed now :upsidedow :teeth: I do wish you a wonderful vacation whatever you choose to do with the pump!

I basically agree with everything Selket says.

As a CM I am usually very busy. I can usually (under certain circumstances) take the time to take a photo for guests. Sometimes as a Guest I have been asked by other Guests to take their picture. However, while I have their camera I am clearly in their sight.

I'm not in attractions, but I have been in positions where I have had Guests ask me to keep an eye on something for them. Depending on what it is and the situation I might agree, but I clearly state that I cannot accept responsibility. There are too many possibilities that can come up which will divert me, the least of which is under the Cast Deployment System someone may come up to me and tell me that I am now scheduled for a 15 minute break.

There is no way any CM would sign a paper accepting responsibility for several reasons. One is that nobody at the operational level has the authority to accept liability on behalf of the Company, and if someone does and it is found out that is cause for termination. The other is that $5,000 is betweeen three and four months total pay for full time employees.

Also, a rider on your homeowner's insurance would be similar to a jewelry rider and not cost much.

If I was in that situation, I would not hand off an expensive (and vital) piece of equipment like that to a CM, especially at an attraction. It might be something you would feel comfortable doing if you had a wheelchair or ECV and could take it off and put it inside a backpack left on the wheelchair.

I don't know how long you can leave it off, but another option might be to take it off in First Aid and leave it there. I do know people entrust medication and equipment to First Aid and they have a procedure/method set up for that sort of thing.

As for insurance, we have a separate policy that we took out on DD's computer that she uses to talk. It was around $60 a year for $6000 of coverage.

My husband has removed his pump to ride TOT and left it at the First Aid Station near the entrance to the park. It's a little inconvenient but you sign this in and out and we felt very comfortable leaving the pump there. We have never had a problem with this. We always use a fast pass so he is not off the pump for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter