Internet while at sea

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
Someone in our party will need to check in with his workplace on his laptop each day while we are on the Dream (sailing to Nassau and CC). Can he do that without a huge cost?

On the first day there is an offer to sign up and get 50MB free. If your friend only needs to check in once it's probably enough. If not just buy one of the packages.

• Pay as you go - $0.25 per megabyte
  • Small package - 100 megabytes for $19 ($0.19 per megabyte)
  • Medium package - 300 megabytes for $39 ($0.13 per megabyte)
  • Large package - 1,000 megabytes for $80 ($0.09 per megabyte)
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp-...nect-at-Sea-Log-In-Instructions-FAQ-Sheet.pdf

ETA corrected typo

Last edited:
On the first day there is an offer to sign up and get 5MB free.

I believe the above is a typo as it should be 50MB free. If just checking email and not downloading pictures/attachments, that should be sufficient. It's also possible the person's mobile provider may have service in the Bahamas which would cover at least Nassau as reception at Castaway Cay may or may not be available. If work requires them to check in even while on vacation, they could also speak to the employer about providing coverage or paying for any fees they do rack up.

On the last 4 night we were on I went through 2 of the $89 plans which my work paid for. The last 3 night I went through 1.

If his employer is requiring him to check-in while on vacation, then they need to pay for any required data package.

Also if it is required than the amount of time he spends checking in needs to be paid for by the employer and not counted against his vacation time. If he works in the U.S. many states now have a law that states that he has to be credited with anywhere from 2 to 8 hours for each day that work contacts him or requires him to contact them no matter how much time he spends doing so. The bottom line is when you go on vacation, you are supposed to be able to get away from work and states are starting to crack down on that. And there are massive fines in many of them for the employer if they don't do this.

All of that being said, most phone companies allow incoming text messages for free and to send is $0.25 on the ship and many free internationally. My suggestion is that he tells them to send him a text daily saying if there is anything needed or not needed. This way it doesn't cost anything or to arrange for his check-in to be via text message, again at the employers expense.

Can anyone who cruised recently confirm that they still offer the free 50mb? If so, can you use that up and then decide to buy a package?

Can anyone who cruised recently confirm that they still offer the free 50mb? If so, can you use that up and then decide to buy a package?

My last cruise was in March and they had the free 50MB then. I haven't read of it changing and I'm quite sure we'd hear about it here if there was a change.

Yes, you can sign up for the free 50MB on the first day, then purchase a package after you have used that up.

I cruised earlier this month - yes the 50mb free package was still available.

We got the 50MB free package on our last cruise (7 days). DH checked and responded to his work e-mails 2-3 times a day and didn't need to buy any more data. If we'd both been doing it, we probably would have had to buy a little bit more but if you're not sending photos, big documents or using Skype, it doesn't take much data.

If his employer is requiring him to check-in while on vacation, then they need to pay for any required data package.

Also if it is required than the amount of time he spends checking in needs to be paid for by the employer and not counted against his vacation time. If he works in the U.S. many states now have a law that states that he has to be credited with anywhere from 2 to 8 hours for each day that work contacts him or requires him to contact them no matter how much time he spends doing so. The bottom line is when you go on vacation, you are supposed to be able to get away from work and states are starting to crack down on that. And there are massive fines in many of them for the employer if they don't do this.

All of that being said, most phone companies allow incoming text messages for free and to send is $0.25 on the ship and many free internationally. My suggestion is that he tells them to send him a text daily saying if there is anything needed or not needed. This way it doesn't cost anything or to arrange for his check-in to be via text message, again at the employers expense.

I don't know if that is actually true. My company often asks that we check in during our PTO if it is taken during certain times of the month (financial closes/Billing/payroll processing for my department) and pays a flat rate for our cell bills but does not pay for our internet at home or when remote/abroad on personal PTO time because if we chose to take PTO during a time in which we are needed in office then it is our job to make sure we provide the tools to work or we just face the PTO being denied. We are all salary in my department and I don't believe we are ever docked pay for PTO unless we did it with out management approval first.

I don't know if that is actually true. My company often asks that we check in during our PTO if it is taken during certain times of the month (financial closes/Billing/payroll processing for my department) and pays a flat rate for our cell bills but does not pay for our internet at home or when remote/abroad on personal PTO time because if we chose to take PTO during a time in which we are needed in office then it is our job to make sure we provide the tools to work or we just face the PTO being denied. We are all salary in my department and I don't believe we are ever docked pay for PTO unless we did it with out management approval first.
It does depend on the state, also many employers break the lawyer, either unkowingly because the law is relatively new or because they figure the employees will either not know about it or not report it if the law is violated. Also in California unless you supervise 3 or more people you have to be paid overtime, you cannot be considered exempt. This is another law that a lot of companies ignore.

And again, they offer PTO, they need to allow you to take it without needing to check-in and if they do you want you to check in provide the tools for doing so. Again this is the law in many states these days, but not all, so it can and does vary. In California, if you are indeed exempt from overtime, then basically the required number of hours that the employer would normally pay for can't be deducted from your PTO balance and your pay can't be reduced for it. For example, at my work, if you have to do something for work during your vacation, you charge that time (if it is less than the minimum time, then you bump it up to the minimum time) to the appropriate job and remove it from the vacation time.

It does depend on the state, also many employers break the lawyer, either unkowingly because the law is relatively new or because they figure the employees will either not know about it or not report it if the law is violated. Also in California unless you supervise 3 or more people you have to be paid overtime, you cannot be considered exempt. This is another law that a lot of companies ignore.

And again, they offer PTO, they need to allow you to take it without needing to check-in and if they do you want you to check in provide the tools for doing so. Again this is the law in many states these days, but not all, so it can and does vary. In California, if you are indeed exempt from overtime, then basically the required number of hours that the employer would normally pay for can't be deducted from your PTO balance and your pay can't be reduced for it. For example, at my work, if you have to do something for work during your vacation, you charge that time (if it is less than the minimum time, then you bump it up to the minimum time) to the appropriate job and remove it from the vacation time.

Ah I'm in NY so could be different.

Also in California unless you supervise 3 or more people you have to be paid overtime, you cannot be considered exempt. This is another law that a lot of companies ignore.

Do you work in HR? The above statement is incorrect. There are other job categories outside of the Executive category that meet the duties test for Exempt status classification.

I am responsible for HR for a CA-based company that watches job classifications closely. We have plenty of employees that are exempt according to CA that do not supervise anyone - and would pass a labor audit just fine.

I wrote a giant Sunday feature from the waters off the Bahamas in the wee hours before visiting Castaway Cay last year. It took two large packages to do it. My paper picked up the tab.

yes, i just got off 2 weeks ago and they offer the 50MB free

I was on 7 days cruise 2 weeks ago, I went through 2 large ($89) package as well.

I definitely agree that his workplace should pay the data costs if he absolutely has to check in but what is really sad is that the workplace can't be out of communications with him for what - 4 days? If the organization can't go 4 days without someone checking in, then perhaps they need to evaluate their organizational structure and (micro)management style. I used to be one of those people who felt the need to check in even while on vacation but as I've grown older and perhaps a little wiser, I've learned a little something called life-work balance. Something that we, as Americans, generally stink at as has been published in a number of articles -- predominantly driven by employers. I train and empower my subordinates to act while I am on vacation and I tell management they can consider me "off planet" as far as communications are concerned. Probably a little selfish, but I sleep really well on ships! :-) I'll get off my soap box now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter