Is a year off from WDW in order???

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
I would like to first start by saying that I love WDW and have been on 8 separate occasions from my teens up till this August. I think it is an absolutely beautiful place and look forward to every trip (we go about every year).

We are thinking about going next August (late August seems to work at well); and due to my own budgetary reasons I am starting very preliminary planning now. However, the planning has gotten seemingly overwhelming, and we had several serious customer service issues last trip. My mother received calls from Guest Relations three times as a result of concerns. For instance one morning our magic bands weren't working and it took one hour to get into Typhoon Lagoon, so we were given two days of three extra fast passes. While there was excellent guest recovery, there were still problems and many ride breakdowns.

Also, guest behavior has seriously deteriorated.

However, on the positive end of things we generally stay at the AKL and love it; and always have a trip filled with restaurants we universally love and rides we universally love.

But due to the issues above, I am thinking this year a Royal Caribbean cruise or stay in the Keys might be a better option.

Is a year break from Disney in order, or should I accentuate the positive? WDW is a highlight and something I look forward to every year, but it seems I could have just as nice a vacation for perhaps less money somewhere else.

Please don't hold back with thoughts and feedback. I keep things pretty modest during the year so I can have a really nice vacation.

I

But due to the issues above, I am thinking this year a Royal Caribbean cruise or stay in the Keys might be a better option.

How is being stuck on a boat on the ocean going to improve your ability to get away from bad guest behavior? It's not just at WDW, you know, and if the behavior of others in a theme park bothers you, how would it be if you were in a more confined space with the same people? I suggest renting a house someplace instead, maybe on a lake on or on the seashore?

I think you need a break. We are taking a break next year too. There is so much construction and transition going on, just think of all the new stuff that will be waiting for you. A year off does wonders. Go out and see what else is out there, Disney will be waiting for you.

I've had Disney vacations when I came back & seriously considered not going back for a year or so. But I always end up booking again & have never regretted it. However, you have to decide for yourself what's best for your family. No one can really decide for you. Either way you decide it'll be fine.

I think if you are starting to see the bad bits rather than the good bits you should mix it up. We tend to take two major vacations a year and we have places we go once and places we have been multiple times (Vegas, New York, San Francisco, Puerto Vallarta). Even the places we return to regularly we only return to ever couple years. Perhaps absence will make the heart grow fonder...

Maybe a trip to DL like someone else suggested - but yeah, the guest behavior will still likely be the same. There will always be inconsiderate people out there. My way of dealing with it is to now take Labor Day week trips. So much less crowded which makes it so much more fun! Less time waiting in lines and fewer annoying people to deal with = win, win!

Some of the worst tourist behavior I have ever seen was on a Royal Caribbean cruise - so if that bothers you, you pretty much can't go anywhere with tourists. ;)

We never go every year. Every 3-4, anymore than that and we would be bored.

Please don't hold back with thoughts and feedback. I keep things pretty modest during the year so I can have a really nice vacation.

It sounds like you save during the year for a really nice vacation. If I am understanding you do one vacation per year and want it to be special. After your last trip, I think its the perfect time to try something new, if nothing else you will be that much more excited about your next Disney trip.

Royal Caribbean is a great line and given the situation on the islands, which might make itinerary less varied, I would look at one of the big ships that are full of entertainment. Went on Oasis last (Freedom before that) and doing Harmony next year. Love all the dining options, lots of pools, lots of recreation, parades, shows, entertainment etc. On Oasis I could stay on the ship the whole time and at one port I did. We enjoy the dinners each night with the same staff - who were awesome - and even on a large ship getting to know folks who worked there. We loved our balcony stateroom and used it way more than we ever have at WDW.

I would spend some time looking over the ships themselves, what they offer and if you think that it would be a good choice for you.

I'll second the Disneyland idea. It would be the perfect opportunity, because DL feels just different enough from WDW that everything feels fresh and exciting, but not so different that you find yourself regretting a lost WDW trip.

We went for the first time this last summer and were so grateful we had the chance to experience Walt's home park. What surprised me most was how much I loved California Adventure, too.

One of my favorite aspects of DL was the improved guest behavior. Because so many locals frequent the parks, you don't see the kind of fits and entitled behavior you sometimes run across at WDW. Never had a problem with the CMs there, either. Plus, you can stay at a "Good Neighbor" hotel nearby and walk back and forth to the parks as you like. Priceless.

ETA: Here's my DL trip report from May: https://www.disboards.com/threads/just-returned-thoughts-from-a-first-timer-wdw-vet.3607756/

It sounds like you save during the year for a really nice vacation. If I am understanding you do one vacation per year and want it to be special. After your last trip, I think its the perfect time to try something new, if nothing else you will be that much more excited about your next Disney trip.

Royal Caribbean is a great line and given the situation on the islands, which might make itinerary less varied, I would look at one of the big ships that are full of entertainment. Went on Oasis last (Freedom before that) and doing Harmony next year. Love all the dining options, lots of pools, lots of recreation, parades, shows, entertainment etc. On Oasis I could stay on the ship the whole time and at one port I did. We enjoy the dinners each night with the same staff - who were awesome - and even on a large ship getting to know folks who worked there. We loved our balcony stateroom and used it way more than we ever have at WDW.

I would spend some time looking over the ships themselves, what they offer and if you think that it would be a good choice for you.

I am going to look into the Oasis, I have heard amazing things about it from a lot of different people!

What does the rest of your traveling party think?

There open-minded!

My mother hates to fly (we're in Pennsylvania), but anything from the NE or FL would probably work. It varies depending who goes, but the planning and major decision making pretty much comes down to either my mother or I.

I would like to first start by saying that I love WDW and have been on 8 separate occasions from my teens up till this August. I think it is an absolutely beautiful place and look forward to every trip (we go about every year).

We are thinking about going next August (late August seems to work at well); and due to my own budgetary reasons I am starting very preliminary planning now. However, the planning has gotten seemingly overwhelming, and we had several serious customer service issues last trip. My mother received calls from Guest Relations three times as a result of concerns. For instance one morning our magic bands weren't working and it took one hour to get into Typhoon Lagoon, so we were given two days of three extra fast passes. While there was excellent guest recovery, there were still problems and many ride breakdowns.

However, on the positive end of things we generally stay at the AKL and love it; and always have a trip filled with restaurants we universally love and rides we universally love.

Is a year break from Disney in order, or should I accentuate the positive? WDW is a highlight and something I look forward to every year, but it seems I could have just as nice a vacation for perhaps less money somewhere else.

My friends and I were out at Disneyland in July and made the comment that guests were much better behaved. We guessed because it's more of a local crowd than at WDW, more laid back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter